NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 25, 2010 -> 06:46 PM)
I haven't a clue. Like I said above, that's no where near a championship roster, and it's likely to be trapped in that 7-10 range in the conference every year where it has no chance at a high lottery pick, cap space, or help.

The cap space part would depend heavily on the new CBA.

With Melo, they'd be on the hook for somewhere around $40 mil for 10 players entering the 11-12 season/lockout. With the current cap figure, that'd leave them like $18 mil in cap space for the last 4 spots, which is plenty. That still includes $7 mil for Travis Outlaw, who I'd assume they'd try to dump immediately once the deal is official (Prokhorov also has MORE than enough funds to buy him out if he were so inclined).

The first year of Melo's extension would also be subject to any new max salary rules according to this article on ESPN.

I'll quote the important part below:

This is not to say the players who sign new contracts or extensions under the current agreement are necessarily safe. The current rules require a player's salary in the first year of an extension to not exceed the maximum salary. This determination is made in the year the extension takes effect. The extensions for Bryant, Gasol and (potentially) Anthony won't take effect until the next CBA is in place, so these players could find themselves constrained by a new maximum salary rule that provides for considerably less salary than they are currently scheduled to earn.

To summarize, it's WAY too early to say the Nets won't have any cap space, especially when under the current rules they would have quite a bit.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 25, 2010 -> 04:57 PM)
Couldn't agree more, especially if the plantar fas flares up again.

I agree as well...It's pathetic that once again Pax chose a glorified hustle player over elite basketball talent. Noah gets destroyed by anyone bigger than he is...he's really a PF that can't score and lived off boarding his own misses to post some rebounding stats. Unbelievable. Way to think small.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 25, 2010 -> 06:18 PM)
Well obviously that plays in to it...but quite simply, if I'm the Nuggets and I'm sitting there looking at Deng + Noah + a late first round pick, and comparing it to AK47's expiring contract + Favors + Golden State's late-Lottery pick and I get to choose which one I take because Melo would accept either...I take the Nets offer. Wouldn't you?

I would take the Nets offer as well. The Bulls would have to go with Deng, Noah, Gibson, the CHA first and a first of their own...and even then that's a pretty poor haul. Really, for all the optimism about the Bulls being a top 4 team in the East next season, their roster is actually pretty depressing. The don't have a player outside of Rose that really has any significant trade value.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Sep 26, 2010 -> 12:13 AM)
I would take the Nets offer as well. The Bulls would have to go with Deng, Noah, Gibson, the CHA first and a first of their own...and even then that's a pretty poor haul. Really, for all the optimism about the Bulls being a top 4 team in the East next season, their roster is actually pretty depressing. The don't have a player outside of Rose that really has any significant trade value.

Bah, "trade value" is always a terrible way to judge the level of talent you have because it's dominated by people's contract status.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Sep 25, 2010 -> 11:13 PM)

Pretty much every team after their top 2 or 3 is pretty depressing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5618346

But as ESPN.com reported Friday night, quoting a source close to the All-Star forward, Anthony was still holding out hope that the New York Knicks or Chicago Bulls -- his two preferred destinations -- would make an 11th-hour bid to trump the Nets' offer once they realized how close the four-way trade was to completion.

If Anthony walks through the doors of the Pepsi Center today for a meet-and-greet session that opens training camp, you can consider the current trade with the Nets dead, an NBA source told me Sunday.

Let's hope so.

Let's be blunt: A deal that sends Anthony to New Jersey is not what either the player or the Nuggets really want.

A trade with New Jersey makes little sense for the Nuggets and their fans, unless the primary goal is a quickie divorce.

What would Denver truly gain from the deal? Derrick Favors was the third pick in the NBA draft? Big deal. Once upon a time, Adam Morrison was going to be the next Larry Bird. Worse, even if you dress up Andrei Kirilenko in an $18 million salary, when the Utah Jazz veteran takes the court, he still looks a whole lot like Bill Hanzlik, version 2.0.

The deal with New Jersey makes less than zero sense for Anthony,

Share Your Analysis

Post sports columnist Mark Kiszla fields your feedback. Look for it in Kickin' It With Kiz on Sundays.

unless his idea of basketball heaven is a daily commute to beautiful downtown Newark to play for a joke of a franchise that lost 70 games last season.

Visit My Website

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 11:45 AM)
Is Gar/Pax really going to forgo a chance of getting Melo for the sake of keeping Noah? I just don't understand that.

They f*** everything up.

This will be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

If Melo is holding out for NYN or CHI, then he'd clearly sign an extension with either.

Carmelo Anthony arrived at media day Monday wearing a Denver Nuggets jersey.

For how much longer the All-Star forward will wear that white, powder blue and gold uniform, though, remains unknown.

"I'm here today. Whatever the future holds, it holds," Anthony said Monday. "I'm leaving my options open right now.

"At the end of the season, I'll sit down with my team, I'll sit down with the Nuggets, and we'll talk about it. This has been a long summer. I'm just excited to get back to the court.

Link

How much is Joakim Noah worth? There is a lot of talk about that out there, and rightly so. I'd add one more layer: You basically have to have some kind of mobile, athletic seven-footer (or close) to win a title. Of course you'd love to have Dwight Howard, but you can also get business done with Kendrick Perkins, and there's a reason the Suns were so much better with Robin Lopez on the court much of last season. But there are fewer than 30 guys like that -- and some of them are so bad at other parts of the game that you can't put them out on the floor. Noah is set to be a centerpiece of Tom Thibodeau's defense, and he's capable of being part of a good offense, too. This is not unlike when the Nuggets paid Nene. At the time, it was an outrage to give so many dollars to a guy who scored so few points. But in the playoffs, every team needs a guy like that, and only some have him. So, when you're deciding whether to pay Noah or not, you're also deciding whether to be a team with a big man like that or not.

So...I'm going to wager a guess here.

I think that if the Denver 4 way deal isn't done already, it's not going to get done.

I can't find a link but there's been radio talk that part of the problem is that in the AK47+Favors+Picks deal, the Nuggets would get an expiring deal, but would also take on about $5 million or so in additional moneys this year altogether. Because they're over the tax...that would translate to them taking on $10 million this year in exchange for not necessarily getting better, and their owner hesitates to do that.

I think this drags out until the deadline if it's not done yet...and I think that plays to the Bulls advantage, because the Bulls have a real shot at having more valuable players by the deadline than they do right now.

That deal (though the 4 team thing might be, but now all those teams) is far from over. If not now, we'll see it materialize sometime during the season. I don't think Denver will risk gambling till FA and see Melo walk like LeBron did with Cleveland, Bosh did with Toronto, etc.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Sep 29, 2010 -> 12:27 AM)
That deal (though the 4 team thing might be, but now all those teams) is far from over. If not now, we'll see it materialize sometime during the season. I don't think Denver will risk gambling till FA and see Melo walk like LeBron did with Cleveland, Bosh did with Toronto, etc.

And Melo would be a F***ing fool to not have a contract inked before the lockout.

Things may heat up again before the season starts...but it was going to be really hard for this to get done before the deadline. No team in contention would want to give up a key part or two of what they thought would be a contending team for Melo (i.e. the Bulls) and the Nuggets won't want to give up Melo without a key part of a contending club unless they take a major step back first.