NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Greyone @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 01:14 AM)
Makes you wonder how much 23 scares off a lot of players. I can only think of a couple of players who would have relished that challenge, Kobe for one, and Iverson seemed like a person would have had the stones to at least attempt it. Durant also seems like that type of person. Oh well, Rose will just have to do it the hard way I guess.

I like this post. Welcome to the board.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 01:05 AM)
One has been that he will always play 2nd fiddle to Rose.

Meh. I don't really buy that at all. Howard is a 3-time DPOY, 3-time rebounding champion, a top 5 finisher in MVP voting the last 4 years and he's already led a team to the finals. He'd be at worst 1A. Many could argue that it'd be Rose that would have to take a backseat to Howard. Chicago is just not a desired enough destination for elite free agents. I thought back in 2000 it was due to the huge stink leftover from the premature breakup of the dynasty. But other than that, we can't seem to lure the big boys. We end up with the Ben Wallace's and Carlos Boozer's of the world.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 09:19 AM)
Man, I really dislike the idea of Rip. The thought of having another guy who needs the entire team to set screens for him is annoying. He's Kyle Korver in that regard, but worse from 3 pt range, and can draw a foul inside. He should be the last option.

You mean a 34-year old one-dimensional, no defense playing SG doesn't wet your whistle?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 09:34 AM)
You mean a 34-year old one-dimensional, no defense playing SG doesn't wet your whistle?

It's just typical.

To not even offer the 4 yrs/ $20 million we can to Jason Richardson is baffling. Whatever, in Rose I trust. I'm sure the Bulls are leery of getting in a situation where they put overpriced veterans around their star, can't pull it off, and wind up with D-Rose bolting to an instant contender (though, I don't feel that's in his blood, I have given up on trying to read athletes' desire to create their own legacy).

The Bulls are in a very good financial situation. The one possible albatross contract they have in Boozer can be amnestied in a couple years (and will). They've made plays the last many times they've had the chance (LeBron, Wade, Bosh, Melo, Dwight)... all players are choosing other spots. I can't get mad at the Bulls for trying.

I sort of get why Rip on a 2 year deal is more appealing than J-Rich on a 4 year deal. Sort of. However, make the damn offer, bc the MLE isn't going to break the bank one way or the other.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 09:00 AM)
Meh. I don't really buy that at all. Howard is a 3-time DPOY, 3-time rebounding champion, a top 5 finisher in MVP voting the last 4 years and he's already led a team to the finals. He'd be at worst 1A. Many could argue that it'd be Rose that would have to take a backseat to Howard. Chicago is just not a desired enough destination for elite free agents. I thought back in 2000 it was due to the huge stink leftover from the premature breakup of the dynasty. But other than that, we can't seem to lure the big boys. We end up with the Ben Wallace's and Carlos Boozer's of the world.

This is Derrick's city and team, he'd absolutely be 2nd fiddle here.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 08:23 AM)
LA - Kobe

DAL - Dirk

NJ - Deron

Old

Old

Really?

I'm not saying I agree with the theory, but the Bulls will be considered Rose's team (the superstar from Chicago) for the next decade. I don't agree with it, but I can see why Dwight may want to go to lala land, play with Kobe for a 2-3 years, and then be THE man in LA. There has to be some reason why Dwight would choose DAL or NJ over the Bulls. Maybe he hates DRose.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 03:41 PM)
It's just typical.

To not even offer the 4 yrs/ $20 million we can to Jason Richardson is baffling. Whatever, in Rose I trust. I'm sure the Bulls are leery of getting in a situation where they put overpriced veterans around their star, can't pull it off, and wind up with D-Rose bolting to an instant contender (though, I don't feel that's in his blood, I have given up on trying to read athletes' desire to create their own legacy).

The Bulls are in a very good financial situation. The one possible albatross contract they have in Boozer can be amnestied in a couple years (and will). They've made plays the last many times they've had the chance (LeBron, Wade, Bosh, Melo, Dwight)... all players are choosing other spots. I can't get mad at the Bulls for trying.

I sort of get why Rip on a 2 year deal is more appealing than J-Rich on a 4 year deal. Sort of. However, make the damn offer, bc the MLE isn't going to break the bank one way or the other.

It just sucks because we have these really good tradeable assets ready to use as a play for a superstar...but there doesn't seem to be a #2 that will come here. But maybe we will find our Gasol in the next few years. Maybe a Chicago boy.

I just hope derrick will get the help around him, because it would suck if we are just the team that everyone beats to get to the finals.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 10:34 AM)
This is Derrick's city and team, he'd absolutely be 2nd fiddle here.

If 2nd fiddle means being the most important cog then I agree. Nothing against Rose. But there's guys out there that can do what he does. There's nobody out there that can do what Dwight does.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 11:42 AM)
If 2nd fiddle means being the most important cog then I agree. Nothing against Rose. But there's guys out there that can do what he does. There's nobody out there that can do what Dwight does.

What Dwight does hasn't exactly been the best thing in the league. Is he the best center? Yes. Has he been the most valuable player? No. He's rather useless from outside 10 feet and is worthless in crunch time.

He's fun, of course. He gets big time boards, big time dunks, big time blocks, but as much of a freak as he is, he has way too many issues with his game that have yet to be rectified.

Edited by Steve9347

In the details available to Yahoo! Sports, Paul goes the Lakers, Pau Gasol to the Rockets, and Houston still sends Kevin Martin, Luis Scola, and a 2012 first-round pick to the Hornets. The main changes in the deal, originally nixed by the NBA, will come between New Orleans and the Lakers, sources say.

link

So they just leave Odom out of the trade?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 12:49 PM)
What Dwight does hasn't exactly been the best thing in the league. Is he the best center? Yes. Has he been the most valuable player? No. He's rather useless from outside 10 feet and is worthless in crunch time.

He's fun, of course. He gets big time boards, big time dunks, big time blocks, but as much of a freak as he is, he has way too many issues with his game that have yet to be rectified.

So by your logic Kobe > Shaq.

Shaq wasn't shooting many jumpers in his prime (thankfully). Yes, the lack of talent at the C position makes Dwight stand out more. But oh well. It is what it is. I don't really get into the whole batman/robin stuff. I just don't agree at all with the thinking that one of the reasons Dwight doesn't want to come to Chicago is because he doesn't want to play "2nd fiddle" to Rose. As if he would be Rose's Pippen equivalent. They're both franchise superstars.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 02:13 PM)
In the details available to Yahoo! Sports, Paul goes the Lakers, Pau Gasol to the Rockets, and Houston still sends Kevin Martin, Luis Scola, and a 2012 first-round pick to the Hornets. The main changes in the deal, originally nixed by the NBA, will come between New Orleans and the Lakers, sources say.

link

If you want to pretend that you're an owner with an honest complaint about that deal, the honest complaint would be regarding the amount of money that the Hornets would be taking on. If you can pull off draft picks or youth instead of Odom, it might not win you as many games but it would improve the financial position of the team (and leave the Lakers with less obvious stuff to trade for Howard).

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 01:13 PM)

link

First time in history a player literally cried his way out of being traded? That'd be a first. Lamar acted like a little f***ing b****. Jesus. Players get traded, dude. I don't remember him being this upset over losing his infant son.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 01:30 PM)
So by your logic Kobe > Shaq.

Shaq wasn't shooting many jumpers in his prime (thankfully). Yes, the lack of talent at the C position makes Dwight stand out more. But oh well. It is what it is. I don't really get into the whole batman/robin stuff. I just don't agree at all with the thinking that one of the reasons Dwight doesn't want to come to Chicago is because he doesn't want to play "2nd fiddle" to Rose. As if he would be Rose's Pippen equivalent. They're both franchise superstars.

That really makes no sense. Here's where your argument derails. Just because Dwight is the best center in the NBA doesn't mean he can hold Shaq's jock strap. Shaq was a much better center, and it certainly isn't close. You can't just throw Dwight to the top of the pyramid of greats by default because he stands out in this era.

By my logic, which is all I stated, is that Dwight's flaws are too great for him to be considered on the level you consider him to be at already. s***, an in prime Shaq had actual moves (a library of them) at the rim and was a much better passer. On those Laker teams, Shaq was outscoring Kobe, for Christ's sake.

I'd love to see an in-prime Shaq vs today's Dwight Howard. He'd flash that 'Superman' tattoo and tell Dwight to stop stealing nicknames.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 01:33 PM)
First time in history a player literally cried his way out of being traded? That'd be a first. Lamar acted like a little f***ing b****. Jesus. Players get traded, dude. I don't remember him being this upset over losing his infant son.

He knew Khloe would leave him before she'd hang out in New Orleans away from her reality TV land. Lamar becomes a nobody in New Orleans.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 01:37 PM)
That really makes no sense. Here's where your argument derails. Just because Dwight is the best center in the NBA doesn't mean he can hold Shaq's jock strap. Shaq was a much better center, and it certainly isn't close. You can't just throw Dwight to the top of the pyramid of greats by default because he stands out in this era.

By my logic, which is all I stated, is that Dwight's flaws are too great for him to be considered on the level you consider him to be at already. s***, an in prime Shaq had actual moves (a library of them) at the rim and was a much better passer. On those Laker teams, Shaq was outscoring Kobe, for Christ's sake.

I'd love to see an in-prime Shaq vs today's Dwight Howard. He'd flash that 'Superman' tattoo and tell Dwight to stop stealing nicknames.

Why did you quote me then? I never said Dwight was flawless. But he is peerless at his position. That's an advantage that can't be understated.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 01:44 PM)
Why did you quote me then? I never said Dwight was flawless. But he is peerless at his position. That's an advantage that can't be understated.

You said he'd be the most important cog, and that would be incorrect.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 01:47 PM)
You said he'd be the most important cog, and that would be incorrect.

That'd be up for serious debate. Not around here, obviously. But anywhere else, yeah, lots of people would beg to differ. But it doesn't matter. It will never happen.

Edited by Jordan4life