NBA Offseason Thread

I didn't think it made any sense for LA to give up Gasol and Odom for Paul unless they absolutely knew they were getting Dwight anyways. You just can't depend on Bynum as your only legit big, and they have ZERO depth.

This situation with Odom for crap from Dallas confuses me too. I'm assuming that it's to get another young asset or two to get Dwight. That said, what the hell are you going to be left with? Don't you kind of need more than Kobe and Dwight?

I'm guessing the deal is Gasol, Bynum and whatever Dallas gives them for Dwight and Hedo. So that would leave them with something like...

PG- Fisher, Blake

SG- Kobe

SF- Hedo, Peace, Barnes, Walton, Ebanks

PF- Character

C- Dwight

That roster is pretty god damn awful outside of the two superstars. They'd definitely need to find some other bodies up front, you can't roll with Dwight and f***ing Derrick Character up front.

As far as I'm concerned, David Stern saved the NBA. It would've been an atrocity to let that initial pathetic trade go through. Sorry, Laker fans. You got Kobe for Divac because Kobe's b**** ass refused to play for any other team but LA. You got Pau for bloody tampons (though the other Gasol has made that trade look less pathetic). No Chris Paul for you.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 11:29 PM)
I didn't think it made any sense for LA to give up Gasol and Odom for Paul unless they absolutely knew they were getting Dwight anyways. You just can't depend on Bynum as your only legit big, and they have ZERO depth.

This situation with Odom for crap from Dallas confuses me too. I'm assuming that it's to get another young asset or two to get Dwight. That said, what the hell are you going to be left with? Don't you kind of need more than Kobe and Dwight?

I'm guessing the deal is Gasol, Bynum and whatever Dallas gives them for Dwight and Hedo. So that would leave them with something like...

PG- Fisher, Blake

SG- Kobe

PF- Character

C- Dwight

That roster is pretty god damn awful outside of the two superstars. They'd definitely need to find some other bodies up front, you can't roll with Dwight and f***ing Derrick Character up front.

I'm not sure if that's even a top 5 seed in the conference.

As far as I'm concerned, David Stern saved the NBA. It would've been an atrocity to let that initial pathetic trade go through. Sorry, Laker fans. You got Kobe for Divac because Kobe's b**** ass refused to play for any other team but LA. You got Pau for bloody tampons (though the other Gasol has made that trade look less pathetic). No Chris Paul for you.

David Stern is the hero we deserve, but not the one we need right now. So we'll hate him, becuase he can take it.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Dec 11, 2011 -> 04:29 PM)

PG- Fisher, Blake

SG- Kobe

PF- Character

C- Dwight

Now I wonder, if the Magic do indeed get Bynum and Gasol + something else for Dwight and Hedo, does that make them a contender still in the East, if they decide to hang onto both of them?

Do they ship off Gasol and Bynum for young assets and try to rebuild?

In either case, this forces New Jersey to improve their offer. Brook Lopez and a couple of draft picks ain't going to get it done here.

I have to say, Dallas did very well to get Odom for nothing as well. He'll allow them to give Dirk much more of a rest during the regular season which can only help them come playoff time.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 11:46 PM)

Don't forget;

Wilt demanding a trade (thought not specifically to LA)

Kareem demanding on a trade to LA or NY only

Getting compensation picks for Goodrich, resulting in Magic, who said he wouldn't have gone to the NBA that year if the Bulls won the flip.

Getting Worthy for Don f***ing Ford

Then you mentioned Kobe and Pau.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 11, 2011 -> 12:17 AM)
David Stern is the hero we deserve, but not the one we need right now. So we'll hate him, becuase he can take it.

:lolhitting

Bulls Might Get Involved, Too

The Chicago Bulls, for whatever reason, aren’t on the list of Dwight Howard’s preferred teams, but according to ESPNChicago’s Nick Friedell, that’s not going to stop them from sniffing around at the most dominant center in the league.

With so many people saying a deal built around Brook Lopez and draft picks would be wonderful for the Magic, it’s understandable that Bulls brass would look at their own list of assets and feel as though they could top that particular offer. In fact, Chicago could have enough assets to top even a potential Bynum and Gasol offer from L.A., if that is what the Lakers have planned for the coming week.

Up to this point, the Bulls have been surprisingly quiet about having interest in Howard, and as a result the general consensus is that they weren’t interested, despite so many fans clamoring for the opportunity to see Howard and Derrick Rose play together for the next decade.

It seems like now they might be more interested than any of us realized. Chicago’s offer would almost certainly have to start with Joakim Noah, who is in the same discussion as Lopez and Bynum as far as talent is concerned, but Chicago could also offer Luol Deng and either Taj Gibson or Omer Asik, while returning Howard and Turkoglu. Sprinkle in a draft pick or two, and that seems like an offer Orlando would have to seriously consider.

However, the Bulls aren’t making that offer without Howard agreeing to sign an extension in Chicago. An early rumor was that the cold weather scared him off, but if that were the case he wouldn’t have listed Brooklyn as one of his preferred destinations. If the Bulls are serious, and if they’re smart they would be, they’ll make a strong pitch and hope that they can get Howard’s attention. There’s no reason that they shouldn’t be in the conversation with L.A., New Jersey and Dallas.

And if the Lakers would’ve had a juggernaut with Dwight, it’s scary to think what the Bulls would look like with him.

hoopsworld

I'd do it...

Bulls Get:

Dwight Howard

Hedo Türkoğlu

Magic Get:

Joakim Noah

Luol Deng

Omer Asik

Bobcats' 2012 first-round pick (various protections of this pick)

Another 1st Round Pick

Between Rose, Howard, And Boozer we'd have something like 70pts a game. Add in Rip and Türkoğlu and now we're talking...

PG: Derrick Rose

SG: Rip Hamilton

SF: Hedo Türkoğlu

PF: Carlos Boozer

C: Dwight Howard

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 11, 2011 -> 12:45 AM)
Now I wonder, if the Magic do indeed get Bynum and Gasol + something else for Dwight and Hedo, does that make them a contender still in the East, if they decide to hang onto both of them?

Do they ship off Gasol and Bynum for young assets and try to rebuild?

In either case, this forces New Jersey to improve their offer. Brook Lopez and a couple of draft picks ain't going to get it done here.

I have to say, Dallas did very well to get Odom for nothing as well. He'll allow them to give Dirk much more of a rest during the regular season which can only help them come playoff time.

I think they could be similar to last year where they were a 4/5 seed type team. Gasol is still a damn good player and when he's healthy Bynum can be a force as well. Their perimeter players wouldn't be totally awful either (I'd assume you'd start Nelson, Redick and Richardson). I'm not sure I'd go that route in the west where the competition is a bit stiffer, but they could be in that middle tier with New York, Atlanta and Indiana.

And I agree on Odom, I have no idea why LA would give away Odom for basically nothing. He's not a star, but he's an extremely good glue player.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Dec 11, 2011 -> 04:10 PM)
And I agree on Odom, I have no idea why LA would give away Odom for basically nothing. He's not a star, but he's an extremely good glue player.

Actually, that's kinda what the league would have hoped the new CBA would do. The Lakers would have to spend a ton to keep these guys on their roster 2-3 years into this CBA since the penalties get worse each year. Of course, they have the money to do it, but the league would kinda want that to happen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 11, 2011 -> 12:40 PM)
Well clearly. No deal happens if he doesn't sign the extension right then.

Which is something that isn't likely to happen because of changes to the CBA. From the New York times (about Paul, but the facts are the same):

Under the new labor deal, elite players who change teams will have to accept less money and shorter contracts. In Paul’s case, if he wants an extend-and-trade deal (as Anthony did), he would be permitted only a one-year extension, for $18.7 million in 2013-14.

Compare that with Anthony, who received a three-year, $65 million bump on the day he became a Knick. That deal inspired N.B.A. owners to try banning extend-and-trades altogether before merely imposing new restrictions.

Paul could sign a richer extension with the Hornets — for two years and $38.6 million, taking him through 2014-15. But under the new rules, the Hornets would be prohibited from trading him for six months.

Similarly, if Paul is traded without an extension, he will have to wait six months to sign one with his new team.

Paul will be a free agent next summer, and the financial incentives for staying put would be even stronger. The Hornets could offer Paul a five-year deal worth $100 million. The Knicks could offer only four years and $74.3 million, based on the new rules.

It just doesn't make sense for these players to sign contracts before or during the season.