June Catch All White Sox Thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 08:07 AM)
Despite hitting .209, he's still on pace for 93 RBIs, which is not a bad full season total.

93 RBIs whilst batting a smidge over .200 would be quite a feat. Imagine if he gets his average up (even to .250) and starts cracking a few more homers. Finishing .250 with 25 HRs and 100RBIs would be respectable.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 08:40 AM)
93 RBIs whilst batting a smidge over .200 would be quite a feat. Imagine if he gets his average up (even to .250) and starts cracking a few more homers. Finishing .250 with 25 HRs and 100RBIs would be respectable.

imagine all you want but that is just not going to happen

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 04:42 PM)
imagine all you want but that is just not going to happen

Why not? He's on pace for 93 rbis and 20 hrs. He's shown some life lately, and I'm talking about raising his average by about 45 points over the next 100 games. I'm not saying he will, but it's more than possible.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 06:27 AM)
Why not? He's on pace for 93 rbis and 20 hrs. He's shown some life lately, and I'm talking about raising his average by about 45 points over the next 100 games. I'm not saying he will, but it's more than possible.

Hes currently on pace for 61 rbi so getting to 90 is a heck of a long shot. And a guy who has hit no better than .222 the last 4 years is pretty unlikely to hit the .280 or whatever that would be required to raise his average 45 points. At this point in his career, I just don't think he is good enough to do that.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 11:10 AM)
Hes currently on pace for 61 rbi so getting to 90 is a heck of a long shot. And a guy who has hit no better than .222 the last 4 years is pretty unlikely to hit the .280 or whatever that would be required to raise his average 45 points. At this point in his career, I just don't think he is good enough to do that.

He's talking about Carlos Quentin.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 03:20 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=2168044:date=Jun 7, 2010 -> 02:03 AM:name=greg775)-->
QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 02:03 AM)
<!--quotec-->Maybe, but Jones still sucks. Go ahead, flame me.

g.gif r.gif e.gif g.gif

This cracked me up.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 11:30 AM)
He's talking about Carlos Quentin.

ahhhhh ok my bad i was confused with jones.

yes i think carlos could finish with those numbers, no doubt

It looks like there’s some serious bad blood forming between the Guillen family and the White Sox organization. The Oney stuff is well documented (although, Ibis Guillen’s parking lot confrontation with KW has flown a bit under the radar.), but this Ozney stuff seems like a further indicator of just how bad things are getting. Cowley had this to say about the Ozney pick, “Ozney selected in the 22nd round by the Sox - basically a slap in the face as far as the Guillens are concerned. He will go to USF says Oz,” and the comments given by Ozzie (in direct contrast to an interview with Merkin three days prior) confirm this. Cowley concluded with this, "Translation - the cold war between manager and GM is as frigid as ever. “An ominous but unsurprising conclusion. A conclusion that was retweeted (and reaffirmed) by Oney Guillen. What’s clear here is that while Oney is not representative of his father or his father’s opinions, there does seems to be something at work here. I imagine a lot of the juicy bits will be saved for the reality show, but things aren’t right between the Guillen's and the White Sox. I can’t help but think that Jerry Reinsdorf is the only reason that Ozzie is still here. http://twitter.com/cst_sox

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 10:59 PM)
It looks like there’s some serious bad blood forming between the Guillen family and the White Sox organization. The Oney stuff is well documented (although, Ibis Guillen’s parking lot confrontation with KW has flown a bit under the radar.), but this Ozney stuff seems like a further indicator of just how bad things are getting. Cowley had this to say about the Ozney pick, “Ozney selected in the 22nd round by the Sox - basically a slap in the face as far as the Guillens are concerned. He will go to USF says Oz,” and the comments given by Ozzie (in direct contrast to an interview with Merkin three days prior) confirm this. Cowley concluded with this, "Translation - the cold war between manager and GM is as frigid as ever. “An ominous but unsurprising conclusion. A conclusion that was retweeted (and reaffirmed) by Oney Guillen. What’s clear here is that while Oney is not representative of his father or his father’s opinions, there does seems to be something at work here. I imagine a lot of the juicy bits will be saved for the reality show, but things aren’t right between the Guillen's and the White Sox. I can’t help but think that Jerry Reinsdorf is the only reason that Ozzie is still here. http://twitter.com/cst_sox

I didn't see this before making my thread.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 07:57 AM)
So the decision to go with a flexible, speedy offense this year....success or failure?

It's actually outperformed last year's offense.

The problem continues to be Beckham, Quentin, Pierzynski.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 08:13 AM)
It's actually outperformed last year's offense.

The problem continues to be Beckham, Quentin, Pierzynski.

Yes. If those three guys were having better years the offense would be in better shape. The team would still be having issues due to the lackluster pitching, however. Pierre is getting on base more often, and when he does he's usually swiping extra bags. But how many times does his 160 pound frame end up blowing away like a tumbleweed because no one can get him in? I'm comfortable with Pierre, Rios, and Konerko at the dish. The #5 spot is a joke behind Konerko, then things really go downhill with the inconsistent Alexei and the rest of the atrocious bottom part of the order.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 09:32 AM)
Yes. If those three guys were having better years the offense would be in better shape. The team would still be having issues due to the lackluster pitching, however. Pierre is getting on base more often, and when he does he's usually swiping extra bags. But how many times does his 160 pound frame end up blowing away like a tumbleweed because no one can get him in? I'm comfortable with Pierre, Rios, and Konerko at the dish. The #5 spot is a joke behind Konerko, then things really go downhill with the inconsistent Alexei and the rest of the atrocious bottom part of the order.

This team was built to win with great pitching and an adequate offense. The lackluster pitching is the main culprit here. We're actually outscoring last year's team, and offense is down throughout the league again this year.

The big reason that the #5 spot in the order looks so terrible is that the guys who were supposed to be hitting 2 and 3 have fallen flat on their faces. Jones and Kotsay have 16 home runs between the 2 of them, for example. If you have that kind of production coming from your 7/8 spots, you really don't care about the low batting averages, not in a down season everywhere for offense.

Really, we ought to have Konerko, Quentin, Rios, and Beckham forming the 2-5 of a formidable heart of the order, with AJ, Teahen, and Kotsay/Jones stuck in towards the end and able to go through some struggles. We ought to be middle of the AL in offense, the reason we're not continues to be Quentin and Beckham.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 10:59 PM)

I fail to see how drafting a non prospect in the 22nd round is a slap in the face.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 10:10 AM)
I fail to see how drafting a non prospect in the 22nd round is a slap in the face.

Its not, and if you read the article in the Trib today about this, and read Ozzie's quotes, you'll see that Ozzie handled it quite well. He wasn't angry, he wasn't upset with the Sox, etc. T-Bolt brought this up in the FS forum too, and its not reality.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 04:27 PM)
Its not, and if you read the article in the Trib today about this, and read Ozzie's quotes, you'll see that Ozzie handled it quite well. He wasn't angry, he wasn't upset with the Sox, etc. T-Bolt brought this up in the FS forum too, and its not reality.

The bigger issue is that Oney is basically calling out Ozzie's immediate boss and ripping on KW Jr.