June Catch All White Sox Thread

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 10:30 AM)
The bigger issue is that Oney is basically calling out Ozzie's immediate boss and ripping on KW Jr.

Well that's a different story - Oney is an idiot. We're not talking about Oney, we're talking about Ozzie.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 11:27 AM)
Its not, and if you read the article in the Trib today about this, and read Ozzie's quotes, you'll see that Ozzie handled it quite well. He wasn't angry, he wasn't upset with the Sox, etc. T-Bolt brought this up in the FS forum too, and its not reality.

Oh, please. If you weren't so busy trying to make this a non0issue, you'd realize that Ozzie actually made a much bigger deal out of this then he needed too. He's trying to have it both ways: express his dissapointment with the Sox and motivating his son. The entitlement alone bothers me.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 10:32 AM)
No, because it is not true anyway.

Well, maybe I was exaggerating, but there were 150 posts following Strasburg's debut, and some of our game threads were less than that. My point was that many of us are losing interest.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 10:54 AM)
Well, maybe I was exaggerating, but there were 150 posts following Strasburg's debut, and some of our game threads were less than that. My point was that many of us are losing interest.

Well, that is definitely true! :(

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 10:48 AM)
Oh, please. If you weren't so busy trying to make this a non0issue, you'd realize that Ozzie actually made a much bigger deal out of this then he needed too. He's trying to have it both ways: express his dissapointment with the Sox and motivating his son. The entitlement alone bothers me.

Given that you are taking his quotes that say one thing, and posting that he is saying something else, I'd say its you who wants it both ways. I see zero entitlement in any of his statements.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 12:57 PM)
Given that you are taking his quotes that say one thing, and posting that he is saying something else, I'd say its you who wants it both ways. I see zero entitlement in any of his statements.

I think your points are more than fair, NorthsideSox. I think given the state of the White Sox organization, right now, and my frustrations with the team, that when I pick up on things like this, I have the tendency to blow them a touch out of proportion (I have a bit of Cowley in me, that disturbs me greatly). Even still, I do think that this is a further example of Ozzie taking his work home with him, and I think the entitlement that seems to have formed around that is a big problem, just perhaps not as big a one as I’ve made it out to be.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 10:48 AM)

I think you are even reading into to it to get that his disappointment is with the Sox specifically, and not at his kids overall draft position.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 12:07 PM)
I think your points are more than fair, NorthsideSox. I think given the state of the White Sox organization, right now, and my frustrations with the team, that when I pick up on things like this, I have the tendency to blow them a touch out of proportion (I have a bit of Cowley in me, that disturbs me greatly). Even still, I do think that this is a further example of Ozzie taking his work home with him, and I think the entitlement that seems to have formed around that is a big problem, just perhaps not as big a one as I’ve made it out to be.

Fair enough. The Oney stuff bothers me, but I don't pin that directly on Ozzie - Oney is a grown man/baby. And the KW Jr pick bothered me a LOT more than this.

Very interesting tweet by Ozzie.

Gracias a dios mis hijos son sanos y buenos hoy es otro dia perdon dios por ser egoista ayer about 5 hours ago via txt

Loose Translation:

Thanks to God my children are healthy and good. Today is another day. I give pardon to God for being selfish yesterday

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 06:25 PM)
"if we do something it will be along the lines of shuffling the deck with the expectation that we're going to add impact guys to win" - KW via Cowley

I think that man might be lying to himself.

He didn't say when they'd be impact guys though.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 05:25 PM)
"if we do something it will be along the lines of shuffling the deck with the expectation that we're going to add impact guys to win" - KW via Cowley

I think that man might be lying to himself.

How is it people here don't get this yet?

1. KW doesn't do rebuilding.

2. The Sox realize that they can't dive into a 3-4 year rebuilding expedition, because the fan base won't show up. They retool on the fly, that's what they do. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, though the past decade (2000-2009) has been the most successful for any Chicago baseball franchise in the modern era, so it obviously works more often than not.

I'm as frustrated as anyone, but everyone should just forget the idea of some huge 5+ player purge and rebuilding exercise. Not happening.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 09:10 PM)
How is it people here don't get this yet?

1. KW doesn't do rebuilding.

2. The Sox realize that they can't dive into a 3-4 year rebuilding expedition, because the fan base won't show up. They retool on the fly, that's what they do. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, though the past decade (2000-2009) has been the most successful for any Chicago baseball franchise in the modern era, so it obviously works more often than not.

I'm as frustrated as anyone, but everyone should just forget the idea of some huge 5+ player purge and rebuilding exercise. Not happening.

How is there not going to be a 5+ player purging? There's at least 5 guys who won't be resigned next year. PK14, AJP, Jenks, Garcia, Jones, Putz. Kotsay and Vizquel and Castro presumably as well. That's 8 people who either have to be extended or replaced just from free agency. And that's without a single player from the roster being traded. And Hell, I could see Quentin not even being offered arbitration at this point. Not seriously, but you know, kinda.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 08:17 PM)
How is there not going to be a 5+ player purging? There's at least 5 guys who won't be resigned next year. PK14, AJP, Jenks, Garcia, Jones, Putz. Kotsay and Vizquel and Castro presumably as well. That's 8 people who either have to be extended or replaced just from free agency. And that's without a single player from the roster being traded. And Hell, I could see Quentin not even being offered arbitration at this point. Not seriously, but you know, kinda.

I meant mid-season. I'd be shocked if more than 5 players were traded in-season. Obviously in the offseason, 5+ players isn't unusual.

What do people expect KW to say? Of course he's going to make it seem like we're reloading, even if we're rebuilding.

Reloading doesn't work with this coaching staff. This same topic was just debated in the other thread. I would rather see a youth movement now.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 09:28 PM)
I meant mid-season. I'd be shocked if more than 5 players were traded in-season. Obviously in the offseason, 5+ players isn't unusual.

If you count Poreda and Richard, there were, by my count, 5 people from the Sox 25 man roster traded away last season. Anderson, Richard, Poreda, Contreras, and Thome.