06/06/2010, 1:05 CST, CSN, Mark Buehrle v. Jake Westbrook

iamshack

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 08:23 PM)
You and Fathom are just parroting the exact conversation Stone and Hawk had last night.

We've been saying this for 2 months now. I watch a ton of games on the MLB Package, and nearly every other team gives their power hitters the 3-0 green light.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 03:24 PM)
Why, so you can draw a walk? I'd prefer a hit with the chances of an extra base hit.

I agree. But I also think it depends on who is up at the plate. I'd give Albert Pujols the 3-0 green light 100% of the time.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 02:23 PM)
I don't give a damn who the player is. You take on 3-0 EVERY SINGLE TIME.

If you are hitting in general I agree the Sox are not and then need to be aggessive. the thing is they will swing at ball four and take strike one.

They swing at the first pitch often, why not then swing 3-0 it is the same philsophy either you work a count or you do not.

How often do you see them take first pitch strike then swing at a ball on the second pitch. They have terrible pitch recognition as a team.

Mark Kotsay is hitting .190 on the season. On June 6th, he is batting 5th and is the DH. I think from that information alone you would know the White Sox are having a terrible season. You wouldn't have to know Peavy's or Buehrle's or Floyd's ERA or Beckham's average or how many errors Teahen had.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 08:25 PM)
You're the last guy I'd expect to be arguing that OBP is a bad thing.

For your power hitters, and especially our team with such a weak top/bottom of the order, I'd rather see guys swinging from their heels in that position. All you're doing if you walk in front of AJP or Kotsay is setting up the 4-6-3.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 02:24 PM)
We've been saying this for 2 months now. I watch a ton of games on the MLB Package, and nearly every other team gives their power hitters the 3-0 green light.

So do I, and you're full of s***, Fathom.

It's a leaguewide trend, just like so many other things in baseball are.

Soon enough, hitters will start swinging 3-0 again, when it becomes apparent that pitchers are laying it in there on 3-0/

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 08:27 PM)
So do I, and you're full of s***, Fathom.

It's a leaguewide trend, just like so many other things in baseball are.

Soon enough, hitters will start swinging 3-0 again, when it becomes apparent that pitchers are laying it in there on 3-0/

Kalapse has to have a stat about this!!

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 03:26 PM)
For your power hitters, and especially our team with such a weak top/bottom of the order, I'd rather see guys swinging from their heels in that position. All you're doing if you walk in front of AJP or Kotsay is setting up the 4-6-3.

This. No point in walking when we're just going to follow it up with a GIDP. If I were the other team, I'd just walk Rios every at bat... I bet he'd score less than 25% of the time.

If you're Juan Pierre or Vizquel or Beckham (this year), etc. then you bet your ass you should be taking 3-0. The thing is, the opposition knows our hitters won't swing, so they just throw meatballs on the 3-0 pitch. Next thing you know, it's 3-1 pitch and our hitters are grounding out weakly.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 03:28 PM)
Kalapse has to have a stat about this!!

This season in the MLB, there have been 660 at-bats that ended at a 3-0 count. There have been only 36 that turned into at-bats with either a hit or an out recorded. The rest have either been walks or moved on to 3-1 counts.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 03:32 PM)
If Konerko came to bat with 2 out in an inning and had a 3-0 count, some on here would rather have him take and hope for a walk where it may take 3 consecutive hits for him to score, then to look for something in his sweet spot and hack away?

I'd rather have him take the walk. Even in a good year, the odds of him hitting a HR on 1 swing are only a couple percent.