06/06/2010, 1:05 CST, CSN, Mark Buehrle v. Jake Westbrook

iamshack

Mark Buehrle, 3-6 4.84 ERA v. Jake Westbrook, 3-3 4.36 ERA

Mark Buehrle is 3-1 with a 2.52 ERA in his past five home starts against Cleveland. Since last season's perfect game against Tampa Bay, the left-hander has given up five or more runs in 11 of 24 outings, but he's held the Indians scoreless three of the last four times he's faced them, including a 6-0 season-opening win at home.

The White Sox, however, are 1-4 on their nine-game homestand and have batted .217 this season against the Indians.

Since winning at U.S. Cellular Field on Aug. 7, 2007, Westbrook is 0-5 with a 5.23 ERA against Chicago. He has received an average of 1.52 runs of support in those outings. The right-hander is 0-2 with a 6.00 ERA in his three matchups with the White Sox this season. He didn't get a decision in a 3-2 win April 17 despite allowing two runs over seven innings.

Cleveland had dropped 13 of 17 before facing the White Sox but now has the chance to record its first three-game sweep in Chicago since May 15-17, 1999.

CBS Sports

Edited by iamshack

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 11:58 AM)
I keep seeing comments like this, but WHO ELSE IS HE SUPPOSED TO PUT THERE?

How about someone new, anyone new? People who have yet to have been put in both of these holes, and proven they CAN'T hit there. So, Kotsay goes in there and repeatedly fails, and we should what? Leave him there? Just because we have six others dudes, who are just as bad? At this point, we're looking at upside. If one of these guys turns it around, who do you want it to be and where do you want him to be hitting? Just put the guys who should be hitting in a lineup that gives them a chance to get the most at-bats and see what happens. Pierre, Ramirez, Rios, Konerko, Q, Jones, AJ, Nix/Vizquel, Beckham

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 10:16 AM)
How about someone new, anyone new? People who have yet to have been put in both of these holes, and proven they CAN'T hit there. So, Kotsay goes in there and repeatedly fails, and we should what? Leave him there? Just because we have six others dudes, who are just as bad? At this point, we're looking at upside. If one of these guys turns it around, who do you want it to be and where do you want him to be hitting? Just put the guys who should be hitting in a lineup that gives them a chance to get the most at-bats and see what happens. Pierre, Ramirez, Rios, Konerko, Q, Jones, AJ, Nix/Vizquel, Beckham

I would agree with you, except for the fact that poor Ozzie has tried everything. I just don't see the point in complaining anymore. How many PAs from Quentin do we need to see before we realize he is just not hitting right now? Andruw Jones has 1 hit in his last 25 PAs or something. Alexei has been hitting, but Omar is better at handling the bat and fits in the 2nd slot better. If you're going to bother putting him in the lineup, 2nd is probably the best spot for him.

You say someone new, but they only have 13 or 14 hitters on the roster. Everyone has been tried basically everywhere at this point and failed.

Edited by iamshack

I'd go with this lineup and hope for the best:

Pierre/Beckham/Rios/Konerko/Quentin/Kotsay/Ramirez/AJP/Vizquel

We're never going to be good unless Beckham can hit at the top of the order and Quentin can bat in the 3-4-5 range, so might as well stick them there and hope they snap out of it. No point in batting them lower in the order, and then worry about the mental aspect if you try and put them higher up again.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 10:38 AM)

We're never going to be good unless Beckham can hit at the top of the order and Quentin can bat in the 3-4-5 range, so might as well stick them there and hope they snap out of it. No point in batting them lower in the order, and then worry about the mental aspect if you try and put them higher up again.

Well I wouldn't have anything against that lineup either, but we went through game after game with a similar lineup and it produced very little. Everyone called for Beckham to move down in the order.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 10:38 AM)

I agree with this 100%, lets put our best hitters where they should be and hope for the best. I realize GB and TCQ are not producing but there is no reason for that bum Kotsay to be in the 5 slot. No reason whatsoever. This lineup and organization is a complete joke right now.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 11:21 AM)
Maybe we can win today and not get swept. That would be a moral victory if nothing else. Who would have thunk it: the worse hitting team for average in the AL and second worse team pitcing ERA

At this point, it'll be much, much better for this franchise if we lose. I don't believe in "moral" victories. This team should not be happy at ALL about losing 2/3 to the f***ing Indians at home.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 12:51 PM)
At this point, it'll be much, much better for this franchise if we lose. I don't believe in "moral" victories. This team should not be happy at ALL about losing 2/3 to the f***ing Indians at home.

What would be better for the franchise is that they win today and go on a 15 game winning streak. That's not going to happen, but losing for draft position in June rarely can be seen as good for the franchise.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 01:47 PM)
I agree with this 100%, lets put our best hitters where they should be and hope for the best. I realize GB and TCQ are not producing but there is no reason for that bum Kotsay to be in the 5 slot. No reason whatsoever. This lineup and organization is a complete joke right now.

And if we kept Quentin in the 3 hole/5 hole and Gordon in the 2 hole, we'd have just as many people angry about why they haven't been demoted in the lineup.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 02:07 PM)
If the Sox lose today - especially if they lose bad - does any kind of move have to be made tomorrow on the off day?

it wouldn't shock me if KW got started shaking things up after losing 5/6 at home, but I won't count on it until I see it.