Day 2 Draft thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 05:30 PM)
Sox go for signability over talent while the other teams in the division do the opposite.

Cleveland, KC and Detroit take Washington, Eibner and Castellanos and we get a bullpen guy.

I'm having a hard time complaining about our draft so far. We didn't take Wilson, big deal! Neither has every other team right now, which makes me think he's made it obvious he won't be signing anywhere.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 11:30 AM)
Sox go for signability over talent while the other teams in the division do the opposite.

Cleveland, KC and Detroit take Washington, Eibner and Castellanos and we get a bullpen guy.

Very disappointing after a terrific start to the draft last night.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 11:31 AM)
I'm having a hard time complaining about our draft so far. We didn't take Wilson, big deal! Neither has every other team right now, which makes me think he's made it obvious he won't be signing anywhere.

I agree with this to a point. But for such a talent-starved organization, Wilson would've been so nice. I wish we were as aggressive in the draft as we are when it comes to chasing washed up vets that we've had our eyes on for years.

Petricka has been draft-eligible four times already, out of high school, twice out of junior college (although he didn’t pitch in 2007 after Tommy John surgery), and last year as a red-shirt sophomore, when the Yankees took him in the 34th round.

He started hitting 96-97 repeatedly as a starter in the middle of the spring, and a few weeks ago his power curveball, which started the year as a below-average pitch, became sharper and tighter and had some scouts calling it an average pitch, although the pitch still comes and goes a little. His history of throwing 90% fastballs earned him a Brad Holt comparison from one cross-checker I spoke to.

Despite his ability to hold his velocity late into games there’s still a good chance Petricka ends up as a power reliever due to the inconsistent second pitch and fringy command.

Number 37 on Law's board, 40 on BA's.