Does AJ get traded this weekend?

southsider2k5

AJ trade poll  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Does AJ get traded this weekend, or does he get his 10/5 rights?

• He Gawn!
    • WhiteSox4life!

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 06:38 PM)
AJ does not sound like a guy who is eager to get out of Chicago after his 10-5 kicks in. If a move gets made, it has to be made now. http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/...ade-rights.html

It also is something I'm sure his agent has told him to say. Face it, the free agent market hasn't been kind to aging players not having huge seasons. AJ playing a little hardball now may be able to squeeze an extension at a decent price out of a team looking to acquire him in return for approving the trade. Just blatantly coming out and saying he would be open to a trade even after his 5/10 kicks in, especially considering his contractual status would be the first no no in negotiation. That said, I think he's sincere when he says he would rather not be traded.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we don't trade guys like A.J. and instead choose to make some lateral moves and make some suicidal push towards the post-season, I suggest we all get used to losing for a long time. This is not the time to honor past allegiances; it's time to build towards the future.

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 05:28 PM)
the worst possible thing to happen is for us to beat up on these National League teams

especially with another Cubs series and a Pirates and Nationals series, sigh, KW might be trying to ADD to this mess if we don't watch out..

This times 1000.

Not to mention it will keep some posters hopes up here as well. (already seen a couple guys now think we may have turned a corner once again for the 1000th time this season)

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 07:04 PM)
If we don't trade guys like A.J. and instead choose to make some lateral moves and make some suicidal push towards the post-season, I suggest we all get used to losing for a long time. This is not the time to honor past allegiances; it's time to build towards the future.

I disagree. I really don't think it matters if they trade AJ or not. In fact, I still think its a decent possibility AJ winds up playing for the White Sox in 2011. The prospect or 2 you might be able to get for a couple months of AJ has about a 99% chance of not having the type of impact on your team AJ has had, and currently has. Its not a setback. The days of acquiring Jeff Bagwell for Larry Andersen are ova.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 06:48 PM)
If it's deemed that we're completely out of contention next month, having Flowers and AJ splitting time at C and DH might not be a bad idea.

Yes it would.

AJ has given every indication that having his replacement around does not exactly make him comfortable.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 08:12 PM)
I disagree. I really don't think it matters if they trade AJ or not. In fact, I still think its a decent possibility AJ winds up playing for the White Sox in 2011. The prospect or 2 you might be able to get for a couple months of AJ has about a 99% chance of not having the type of impact on your team AJ has had, and currently has. Its not a setback. The days of acquiring Jeff Bagwell for Larry Andersen are ova.

Putting off the Tyler Flowers era over some misconstrued sense of loyalty towards AJ is not a good idea. If Jermaine Dye has taught us anything it’s that sooner or later these guys decline. Right now, we’re in the perfect position to deal AJ and get something for him. There’s no time like the present.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 07:23 PM)
Putting off the Tyler Flowers era over some misconstrued sense of loyalty towards AJ is not a good idea. If Jermaine Dye has taught us anything it’s that sooner or later these guys decline. Right now, we’re in the perfect position to deal AJ and get something for him. There’s no time like the present.

What's a worse idea is starting the Tyler Flowers era when he has no chance to succeed. There's a big load the White Sox put on catchers. The bench does not call pitches. Flowers is going to have to gain the pitchers trust in addition to making more contact against much better pitching.

AJ after today's slaughtering of the Cubs:

“All the trade talk, this and that, I’m a human being,” he said. “Every person goes through it. I’ve said all along I just want to get through Sunday so it all goes away.”

Sounds to me like he'd opt to stay with the Sox after his 10/5 kicks in. I love AJ, and after today's performance I'd be all for re-signing him. But is this the real AJ we saw today? I would like to see him around another year or two.

Regardless, I think if he was traded or signs with another team next year, he'd get a standing O returning to USCF...which he would deserve. As much as an asshole he is, he was our asshole for quite a while, and his shenanigans helped us get the 2005 WS title.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 08:32 PM)
What's a worse idea is starting the Tyler Flowers era when he has no chance to succeed. There's a big load the White Sox put on catchers. The bench does not call pitches. Flowers is going to have to gain the pitchers trust in addition to making more contact against much better pitching.

You don't think that they're capable to do it if need be? Cooper tells AJ what he wants ahead of time, I'm sure.

Flowers can and will learn to be a MLB catcher eventually, if that's what the coaches want. You gotta let the babies fly on their own sooner or later.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 09:01 PM)
You don't think that they're capable to do it if need be? Cooper tells AJ what he wants ahead of time, I'm sure.

Flowers can and will learn to be a MLB catcher eventually, if that's what the coaches want. You gotta let the babies fly on their own sooner or later.

I sat and listened to Ozzie at a Soxfest deal a couple of years ago. He claimed the bench will never call one pitch. Its between the catcher and the pitcher. I'm all for giving Flowers a chance, but its premature right now. He would be overmatched at the plate. Wait until he has himself straighted out. There's no rush.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 05:20 PM)
Yes it would.

AJ has given every indication that having his replacement around does not exactly make him comfortable.

Then AJ's going to have to check his Joe Montana-like insecurity at the door when he shows up for work. He has 6.75 million reasons to deal with this situation like a professional.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 09:01 PM)
“All the trade talk, this and that, I’m a human being,” he said. “Every person goes through it. I’ve said all along I just want to get through Sunday so it all goes away.”

They better trade him before this, otherwise I see no way that he waives his 10/5 to get traded.. that quote right there tells me if the 10/5 kicks in, he is here till the end of the year. And yes, he is the kind of douche who would just stay here instead of going to a contender.

Not that I don't like AJ, but am I wrong for thinking he would just say "no thanks" and stick it out till the end of the year?

I could be wrong, but if he gets traded after Monday, I think he'd waive the no trade clause.

Baseball players are proud (ego driven) and want to be wanted. Unless it's a trade to some s*** city or non contender, he'd go.

He'd go to Texas. He's a competitor. He'd really help Texas.

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 12, 2010 -> 12:55 AM)
Not that I don't like AJ, but am I wrong for thinking he would just say "no thanks" and stick it out till the end of the year?

Nope, this is exactly what he'd do. I expect we'd offer him an extension at the end of the year, and he'd flounder away at the plate for the next two years too, while Flowers either languishes in the minors or gets shipped off somewhere so we can begin this process again. AJ not being traded sends exactly the wrong message to the fans this year. It says we taken a look at this roster and decided to honor the past, instead of the future.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 12, 2010 -> 08:40 AM)
Seriously, whoever put the arb thing in the headline...thanks.

It's early and I just woke up so give me a break if I sound like a retard but..

Recap: are you saying we should trade him now because ARB will not be offered and we won't get any picks for him anyway?

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 12, 2010 -> 09:44 AM)
It's early and I just woke up so give me a break if I sound like a retard but..

Recap: are you saying we should trade him now because ARB will not be offered and we won't get any picks for him anyway?

That would be one way to do it.

Or, more simply, if you don't want to trade him, don't say anything about getting picks back.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 07:12 PM)

That is an ironic statement considering the last trade that AJ was involved in...

Nope, this is exactly what he'd do. I expect we'd offer him an extension at the end of the year, and he'd flounder away at the plate for the next two years too, while Flowers either languishes in the minors or gets shipped off somewhere so we can begin this process again.

Why are you assuming in a month he'd turn down a trade to play for a contender?

This team is going nowhere. He's not getting any younger. He won't block a trade to a contender.

I wish you'd not pretend to know AJ. I don't know him and am not 100 percent sure, but I think these players want to play for championships. There's no hurry to trade him because of that clause. He'll be dealt either this weekend or sometimes later this season. Get ready for Castro time.