Sox draft signings and reporting places

southsider2k5

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 07:54 AM)
Great info, thanks, let's hope this is just posturing as there are still a number of picks for all clubs that remain unsigned. We were really on the Morgado watch last year at this time. Most of the time when we are waiting on these guys the Sox have made the right call, some of the names I remember Bobby Hill, John Zeringue, Jay Mattox, Tony Richie etc........However, I still want Grimes, never can have too much pitching.

Jeff Weaver is the biggest one.

Is it just me, or does he not sound like he is going with them... from facebook.

Matthew Grimes these are some good times, so take a good look around. You may not know it now, but youre gonna miss this. Cant believe everybody is headed off to college next week!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 12:07 PM)
Is it just me, or does he not sound like he is going with them... from facebook.

I take it you are friends w/ him on Facebook? I see that it says "Georgia Tech '14" under his "schools network". And you can only add a school to your networks if you have a school email address. Now maybe he registered back in the spring and so he hasn't actually comitted to school yet, but that's a step towards college.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 10:41 AM)
I wonder why a 41st rounder would have taken so long.

He was a basketball player at UC Santa Barbara. I wonder if he worked out a 2 sport deal. The Sox probably see him as a big project.

Fourth-round pick Matthew Grimes and eighth-round pick Josef Terry remain the two unsigned White Sox selections among their top 10 from the 2010 First-Year Player Draft.

The team has until Aug. 16 to come to terms with the young men or they will re-enter the 2011 Draft.

"I'm kind of cautiously optimistic on both of them, really," said White Sox director of amateur scouting Doug Laumann, in Chicago to finalize matters with the drop-dead date on Monday. "Both of them are satisfied with what we are trying to do for getting them done.

"We've kind of gone to the wall with both as far as what we wanted to do. It's in their hands now."

Link

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 03:19 AM)

Josef Terry is playing for the Rochester Honkers up here in the Northwoods league, Here is some info on him

Athlete of the Week: Josef Terry

8/3/2010 6:27:40 AM

Comments (0)

Josef Terry • Rochester Honkers • Utility

• Terry's five-game hitting streak helped the Honkers to six straight wins (through Sunday), which lifted the team's record back over .500 at 10-9.

• Batted 9-for-23 (.391) during the five-game hitting streak with five runs scored and six RBIs; started the streak by going 4-for-5 in last Wednesday's 9-2 win over Brainerd.

• The left-handed hitter currently leads the Honkers with .327 batting average, with 18 runs scored and 17 RBI in 24 games.

• Has a season on-base percentage of .385 and a slugging percentage of .418.

• The 6-foot and 200-pound sophomore from Cerritos College in Los Angeles, Calif., is listed as an outfielder but has been playing primarily in the infield with the Honkers.

• Will play college ball next season at Cal State Fullerton.

• Has already been drafted twice by Major League Baseball teams, in the 17th round in 2009 by the Seattle Mariners, and in the eighth round (248th overall) in 2010 by the Chicago White Sox.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 16, 2010 -> 01:31 PM)
As of noon with about 12 hours left, 9 of the top 12 selections were unsigned.

Pretty crazy. I really wish they would do something about this. The draft needs a bit of an overhaul. Really makes you like the Sale pick though. Quick sign, great stuff, already a MLB caliber pitcher.