2010-2011 NHL thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My roommate is a longtime season ticket holder and diehard hockey fan (annoys the hell out of me, sorry guys) and he seems very excited about Stalberg. Said he put up worse numbers last year because they really didn't have anyone (besides Keisel). Look at the bust Phaneuf was.

Well done Stan.

Sad to see Versteeg go, but I wasn't as attached to him as Buff. Hopefully he can help Kessel and others from the Leafs and at least he is gonna play in Canada. Good trade for both sides.

I'm assuming this means the Hawks now are done pending on the RFA guys?

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 11:22 PM)
Sad to see Versteeg go, but I wasn't as attached to him as Buff. Hopefully he can help Kessel and others from the Leafs and at least he is gonna play in Canada. Good trade for both sides.

I'm assuming this means the Hawks now are done pending on the RFA guys?

Reports are that Ladd may go too. Up to 14 teams have inquired/are interested in him.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 11:40 PM)
Reports are that Ladd may go too. Up to 14 teams have inquired/are interested in him.

Im really hoping now that Buff and Versteeg were traded we can hold on to Ladd unless the trade offer is too good to pass up. It sounds like to me though they should have enough room to keep Ladd and Hjalmarsson and still be able to afford Seabrook and Sharp in the future.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 12:09 AM)
Im really hoping now that Buff and Versteeg were traded we can hold on to Ladd unless the trade offer is too good to pass up. It sounds like to me though they should have enough room to keep Ladd and Hjalmarsson and still be able to afford Seabrook and Sharp in the future.

They still have Niemi to take care of, too, unless someone else offers him too much and the Hawks settle for Huet.

If they do that, then they have his cap hit on the books and maybe they have to re-do the cap math.

All in all, a nice job by Bowman & Son to work around the cap problems. Getting good value for guys everyone in the league knew they had to deal away.

Man we are gonna be playing some kids next season. Should be exciting! There are reports the Hawks are at or around 55.2 mil. (Bowman is staying quiet about it of course) That Connelly kid looks ready from all reports so...

Sharp (3.9) - Toews (6.3) - Kane (6.3)

Brouwer (1.025) - Bolland (3.375) - Hossa (5.275)

Stalberg/Persson (.850) - Reasoner (1.15) - Kopecky (1.2)

Bickell (.675) - Dowell (.525) - Burish/Skille (.800-.900)

Keith (5.538) - Seabrook (3.5)

Campbell (7.143) - Hjalmarsson (2.0-3.0*)

Connelly (.875) - Hendry/Denis-Pepin/UFA (.800-.850*)

Niemi (2.0-3.0*)

Crawford (.800)

? (assuming no Ladd, Beach and some others not called up, estimated guesses on RFA salaries, etc..)

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 10:49 PM)
Thank you Stan for getting rid of the exact 2 big pieces you should have.

How often does that happen? So far great job by Stan. I think the only way Ladd doesn't sign is if we're receiving max value in return. In other words, I don't think Ladd will just be a salary dump if he isn't here...it will actually be a move to improve.

Removing Huet from the equation...Hawks look to be $9,718,663 under. Need to sign Hammer, Antti, Ladd and some fillers.

Edited by Controlled Chaos

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 03:59 AM)
Man we are gonna be playing some kids next season. Should be exciting! There are reports the Hawks are at or around 55.2 mil. (Bowman is staying quiet about it of course) That Connelly kid looks ready from all reports so...

Niemi (2.0-3.0*)

Crawford (.800)

? (assuming no Ladd, Beach and some others not called up, estimated guesses on RFA salaries, etc..)

I'm like 75% certain (going big there ha) that Beach will be on the big club.

I'm also exceedingly excited about Stalberg.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 03:59 AM)

Niemi (2.0-3.0*)

Crawford (.800)

I wonder if they are moving guys still with an eye on some free agents?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 09:08 AM)
Flyers re-signed Leighton, two years, $3.1 million. I thought they'd sign or trade for a big name to finally shore up that spot but I guess not.

They only had to pull him in 33% of their Stanley Cup Finals games, clearly they've already found their answer!!

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 09:14 AM)
Man, I love Steeger. He has great hands and a nose for the net. Gonna be hard watching him in another uni. With that said, he had to go.

Yuck. Steeger is seriously not that good and he really doesn't have a nose for the net... a fear of the net seems more accurate.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 09:27 AM)
Yuck. Steeger is seriously not that good and he really doesn't have a nose for the net... a fear of the net seems more accurate.

Nope, I'll stick with nose for the net.

6th on the team in the reg season with 44 points. The guy can fill it up and has great hands.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 10:49 PM)
Thank you Stan for getting rid of the exact 2 big pieces you should have.

Yep, so far so good. Versteeg is a very talented guy, but he's about as dumb as any hockey player I've ever seen, and Buff simply didn't try enough. They were contributors on a champion and have talent so we'll miss them, but to save as much money as they did and get some young talent back for those two guys is a great start to an offseason where people had to be moved. And everybody else we've got rid of so far is replaceable. Now is where I get concerned though, I really don't want to see somebody like Ladd or Niemi leave, but I'm worried we might anyways.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 09:54 AM)

6th on the team in the reg season with 44 points. The guy can fill it up and has great hands.

And he was also probably the dumbest forward the team had. If I had a dollar for every fancy little move he tried to make before entering the zone that resulted in an offside...

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 09:54 AM)

Trust me, anyone else on that line next year is going to rock the big bad 44 points that Steeger put up without costing 3 mill per year.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 10:09 AM)
Trust me, anyone else on that line next year is going to rock the big bad 44 points that Steeger put up without costing 3 mill per year.

Hence why he had to go, but the guy could still score. I fully expect him to continue his development throughout his career. He was a clear rapeage of the Bruins when he was acquired.