¡Viva la Revolución!

Heads22

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 19, 2010 -> 09:27 PM)
This pitching staff owes us a few shutouts, given how much we're paying for their salaries.

thats probably true but this recent great pitching is fooling people into believing that the offense is good enough to win the division. we cant keep relying on the pitching to give up 2 runs or less

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jun 19, 2010 -> 08:29 PM)
thats probably true but this recent great pitching is fooling people into believing that the offense is good enough to win the division. we cant keep relying on the pitching to give up 2 runs or less

That may be true, but I think this offense, as originally expected to perform, is good enough to win the division. The problem is, as it stands now, it isn't good enough.

It is, however, good enough to win in the postseason, in my opinion.

So I don't believe a major overhaul is necessary, but more some improved performances out of Alexei and Gordon. I have come to grips with the fact that this is about what we can expect to get out of Quentin.

It appears that AGon is not going to be getting moved as the Padres' pitching staff might very well keep them in contention til after the break.

That leaves Fielder and Berkman as the two biggest bats available, and I am not really sold yet that the Brewers are prepared to move Prince at this time.

One thing I will say though, is that despite the fact that this SP is saving our asses right now, they owe us this. For all the games that they have underperformed, they owe us a stretch where we can put some wins together even if we are underperforming on the offensive end.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 19, 2010 -> 10:26 PM)
The Nats have a guy at first base that I've wanted for a long time now. Seemingly a good fit for the DH spot, it would seem.

As bad as we need a LH power bat, he would be the ideal guy for our team and would be very wise to lock him up on about a 3 year deal. We need a LH power bat in the worst way.

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Jun 19, 2010 -> 10:34 PM)
As bad as we need a LH power bat, he would be the ideal guy for our team and would be very wise to lock him up on about a 3 year deal. We need a LH power bat in the worst way.

And Kotsay could be back in the role that he's best made for, bench guy/spot starter.

his post only makes sense if you accept that it makes sense for Konerko and Rios to both sit on the same day, thus making it so that we have zero people in our lineup with an .800+ OPS.

For what it's worth, the stories say Ozzie thought Rios was tired and Konerko he gave the day off.

We won, so IMO nobody has the right to b**** one f***in bit.

Well maybe you have the right to b****, but it seems dumb to me. WE WIN!

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 19, 2010 -> 11:12 PM)
For what it's worth, the stories say Ozzie thought Rios was tired and Konerko he gave the day off.

Its called no harm no foul

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 19, 2010 -> 11:27 AM)
The only possible justification for this is that Ozzie thinks Peavy will pitch like 2007 Peavy and we won't need PK or Rios in the lineup to pull off the win....or that Jake is hurt and will pitch so poorly that it won't matter that we have PK and Rios in the lineup. And sitting them both in the same game will kill two birds with one stone...

Maybe he was thinking the former.... :notworthy

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 19, 2010 -> 11:12 PM)

I am happy as hell that we won today. Peavy pitched his butt off. To put that lineup out today though was horrible. Inexcusable really. You can't count on your SP throwing a shutout each time out when backed by a lineup like that. We got lucky to win today. Ozzie should be ashamed of himself.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 12:55 AM)
I disagree he should be ashamed of himself, cause he put a winning team on the field, didn't he?

You call that a winning team on the field? Just because they won with that garbage lineup doesn't mean it was a winning team. Put that lineup out for 162 games and you might get about 40 wins. Peavy won that game, not the lineup. Shutouts are extremely rare and that was the only way we were winning today. We got horribly lucky that Peavy was on his game.

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 01:57 AM)
You call that a winning team on the field? Just because they won with that garbage lineup doesn't mean it was a winning team. Put that lineup out for 162 games and you might get about 40 wins. Peavy won that game, not the lineup. Shutouts are extremely rare and that was the only way we were winning today. We got horribly lucky that Peavy was on his game.

Dude that is the team that we have and if Ozzie felt like Rios and Konerko need a day off so he did, and we won the game, what exactly are you complaining about?

Both Rios and Konerko will be in the lineup tomorrow.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 01:58 AM)
Dude that is the team that we have and if Ozzie felt like Rios and Konerko need a day off so he did, and we won the game, what exactly are you complaining about?

Both Rios and Konerko will be in the lineup tomorrow.

I think it was ridiculous of Ozzie to sit both Rios and PK on the same day and putting out the lineup he did. They have an off day on Monday and could have DH'd PK or Rios on the upcoming homestand if they needed a breather so badly. He could have sat one today and one tomorrow. I also think Viciedo should have started. He is a big bat that could have helped score more runs. I know that a win is a win and I am proud that they won, but Ozzie put out a horrible lineup when he didn't have to. The fact that they won was a miracle outing by Peavy. 8 out of 10 times that lineup loses. I think that is horrible managing.

Just looked at Berkman´s career OBP and BA numbers, far better than Dunn. Problem is he is not having a great year by mean avg. Does this mean the rumors are bothering his production or just that the guys b4 him are not getting on base?? What would it take to land him??

Edited by chisoxfan09

I think it was ridiculous of Ozzie to sit both Rios and PK on the same day and putting out the lineup he did. They have an off day on Monday and could have DH'd PK or Rios on the upcoming homestand if they needed a breather so badly. He could have sat one today and one tomorrow. I also think Viciedo should have started. He is a big bat that could have helped score more runs. I know that a win is a win and I am proud that they won, but Ozzie put out a horrible lineup when he didn't have to. The fact that they won was a miracle outing by Peavy. 8 out of 10 times that lineup loses. I think that is horrible managing.

B4 the win I really tought "Oh man, another boneheade lieup by Ozzie". But a isa n athis point. This is the tyoe ofam really where we would be shutout normaly with the terrible ffense wehave had the past couple of years.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 02:09 AM)
Just looked at Berkman´s career OBP and BA numbers, far better than Dunn. Problem is he is not having a great year by mean avg. Does this mean the rumors are bothering his production or just that the guys b4 him are not getting on base?? What would it take to land him??

Berkman makes alot of money and has an option for next year that he wants picked up if he gets traded. ANother option is Adam LaRoche. He is putting up good RBI totals and is alot cheaper. We would only owe him about 2-3million for the rest of the year.

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 02:07 AM)

I just think that we as fans are way to quick to call Ozzie a horrible manager without knowing the details about why both guys were sitting. I mean Ozzie is what he is but he is not stupid and he wants to win, no argument there. He managed to do that today without two of our best hitters and like you said earlier, the season in long journey, there is no way the starting 9 guys are going to play every single game. I think it is better to take a chance against a decent but still NL team instead of Kotsay/Jones getting playing time vs hot Atlanta team that is coming to town soon.

I agree that sitting Viciedo isn't a great idea because a young hitter needs to play everyday to be able to develop properly but Omar Vizquel has been direct part of wins in the last two days. Hard to take him out when he is hitting the ball regularly the last few weeks. Just my two cents.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 02:16 AM)
I just think that we as fans are way to quick to call Ozzie a horrible manager without knowing the details about why both guys were sitting. I mean Ozzie is what he is but he is not stupid and he wants to win, no argument there. He managed to do that today without two of our best hitters and like you said earlier, the season in long journey, there is no way the starting 9 guys are going to play every single game. I think it is better to take a chance against a decent but still NL team instead of Kotsay/Jones getting playing time vs hot Atlanta team that is coming to town soon.

I agree that sitting Viciedo isn't a great idea because a young hitter needs to play everyday to be able to develop properly but Omar Vizquel has been direct part of wins in the last two days. Hard to take him out when he is hitting the ball regularly the last few weeks. Just my two cents.

Ozzie has put out the "B" team repeatedly since he became White Sox manager. I remember during the pennant chase in 2005, we played KC during the final few weeks and he had the likes of Willie Harris and Timo Perez in the same game starting during a heated pennant race against Cleveland. Hey we won the World Series, so not too much to b**** about after the fact, but he certainly has a history of doing this. There is a time and place to rest guys and I think you rest one key guy per game to make your lineup still competetive.

Ozzie has put out the "B" team repeatedly since he became White Sox manager. I remember during the pennant chase in 2005, we played KC during the final few weeks and he had the likes of Willie Harris and Timo Perez in the same game starting during a heated pennant race against Cleveland. Hey we won the World Series, so not too much to b**** about after the fact, but he certainly has a history of doing this. There is a time and place to rest guys and I think you rest one key guy per game to make your lineup still competetive.

Exactly, another point is this: Even though our 4 and 5 game winning streak has been against cellar dwellers or weak NL team why would you risk blowing it with the B team substitutions? This is the best fighting chance we have had to build up some confidence,granted we got the win but you always go with your best lineup.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 02:40 AM)
Exactly, another point is this: Even though our 4 and 5 game winning streak has been against cellar dwellers or weak NL team why would you risk blowing it with the B team substitutions? This is the best fighting chance we have had to build up some confidence,granted we got the win but you always go with your best lineup.

But if Konerko and Rios weren't able to compete from whatever reasons then Ozzie used Kotsay/Jones because that's the only players he has available.

Alex Rios played 64/67 games this season.

Paul Konerko played 61/67 games this season.

Edited by justBLAZE

But if Konerko and Rios weren't able to compete from whatever reasons then Ozzie used Kotsay/Jones because that's the only players he has available.

Alex Rios played 64/67 games this season.

Paul Konerko played 61/67 games this season.

It is a tough argument to solve. It could go either way I suppose. I am just very leary of having this momentum stop stone cold, which is what this lineup is very capable of doing. Just completely shutting down offensively for a period of 3-4 games or more is far more the norm for this team than any sustained offensive output for over the same period IMO.