Adam Dunn Trade rumor thread

TheChrisSamsa

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 12:45 AM)
How in the world am I supposed to know what Ozzie's planned alternatives were?

I know that hes done better than the White Sox DH's. But I have no idea what Ozzie had planned or Kenny, or whether their plan worked out or not. Thats a lot of assumptions I have no idea about.

Well I'm going off of what's been said in the press. Ozzie wanted to platoon Kotsay/Pierre/Vizquel/Jones. That much is pretty clear.

I don't think Ozzie had any plans to have Kenny go get him Adrian Gonzalez or anything. He knew damned well that what he would have would be similar or exactly what he has right now, and yet he still didn't want any part of Thome.

It was a very bad decision, that's all there is to it. And it's based on Ozzie's hunches and goofy ideas about how runs should be scored, and not on any statistical proof or method whatsoever.

Edited by iamshack

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or Mitchell too...although you'd have to think KW would have realized from the last 3-4 seasons how difficult it is to acquire the "ideal" leadoff man, especially when you don't produce him in your own system.

Obviously, there's no choice but to hold on to him...taking one of the 3 best bargaining chips off the table.

Morel can't yet be perceived by many organizations (only NL teams) as a legit candidate to start at 3B for them.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 06:19 AM)
Today the Arlington Heights (Il) Herald says the Nats want Beckham for Dunn. Uh, no.

Yeah Adam LaRoche looks much more attractive as a trade option considering what you would have to give up.

Let me throw a question out there for discussion. Do you think one of the considerations about who the Sox go after is the possibility of signing said player after this year? The three names that keep coming up are Dunn, LaRoche, and Fielder. All three are in their final year of their contract (although LaRoche has a mutual option). Is there any chance the Sox try to sign any of them, and if so who's most likely to actually sign? Fielder would be the most expensive, and I don't see that happening. Dunn and LaRoche may be about equal considering they are the same age.

Thinking that Sox would want to sign one of them, if they were to try to keep Konerko as well, how much do you think the Sox would be willing to spend between the two? No more than $20 million? $18 million?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 12:32 AM)
But he didn't.

He even put Ozzie on the spot at Soxfest by bringing Thome back into the fold.

I think he knew that he could add someone if needed during the season, which is why he ultimately let Ozzie have his way. But my guess is he had a pretty good idea that this current situation might present itself and we could get burned pretty badly.

to this point, but again, look at Thome's August numbers from last year, when he had the 2nd most PAs, the White Sox could be justified a little at the end...

shack, I do agree with you though that letting him go for the money wasn't the best decision, but he was slowing down posting .250 under his Aug. career OPS, and again, the White Sox saw him everyday during that stretch and how his body was reacting.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 07:58 AM)
I'm worrying about Beckham seriously going all Anderson to the point that turning him into 2 draft picks doesn't sound awful any more.

beckham's swing, IMO, is far better than Anderson's ever was, IMO that would be way too much for a 3 month rental and with the other bat's likely to get traded I highly doubt the Nat's get anywhere near that level of player/prospect for Dunn, but doesn't hurt to ask.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 09:00 AM)
beckham's swing, IMO, is far better than Anderson's ever was, IMO that would be way too much for a 3 month rental and with the other bat's likely to get traded I highly doubt the Nat's get anywhere near that level of player/prospect for Dunn, but doesn't hurt to ask.

Clearly his swing is better...I'm just not sure that his head is better, and that's just as fatal of a flaw.

(Side note...usually the more vehemently I express doubts about someone, the quicker they turn it around. The more I vent about Kotsay hitting some day, the more likely he is to get a couple of hits, I've noticed).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 08:00 AM)
Clearly his swing is better...I'm just not sure that his head is better, and that's just as fatal of a flaw.

(Side note...usually the more vehemently I express doubts about someone, the quicker they turn it around. The more I vent about Kotsay hitting some day, the more likely he is to get a couple of hits, I've noticed).

I agree that some of his struggles concern me, but, and I honestly have no clue about this, is there concerns about Beckham's partying like there was about BA?

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 09:12 AM)
I agree that some of his struggles concern me, but, and I honestly have no clue about this, is there concerns about Beckham's partying like there was about BA?

None that I've heard, but there have been other concerns about his mental state. He was, for example, obviously frustrated and down in the dugout on camera a week or two ago, and there have been games where it looks like those plate struggles go with him into the field. I kinda wish he could hang out with about a dozen of us for an hour and we could all prop him up emotionally with the confidence we felt in him coming into this season.

Beckham has been a bonehead at the plate. He's all discombobulated and its very sad to watch as we don't have a single coach in this organization who can get through to him and help him correct his swing and approach.

Either that, or Beckham is just that dumb and stubborn. And if thats the case, he'll never amount to anything.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 08:00 AM)

Beckham hasn't had a good swing in about 10 months now... Anderson never had a good swing.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 09:20 AM)
Anderson never had a good swing.

I actually gotta disagree with this...there were times when he'd completely overhauled it coming into ST, better balance, more bent knees, etc., but he'd get sent down or benched or injured and by the time he'd be back, all the old habits would be there.

Beckham flashes a good swing every few at bats but just hasn't had any consistency with it this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 09:16 AM)
None that I've heard, but there have been other concerns about his mental state. He was, for example, obviously frustrated and down in the dugout on camera a week or two ago, and there have been games where it looks like those plate struggles go with him into the field. I kinda wish he could hang out with about a dozen of us for an hour and we could all prop him up emotionally with the confidence we felt in him coming into this season.

:lol:

That would actually be quite hysterical

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 07:06 AM)
Let me throw a question out there for discussion. Do you think one of the considerations about who the Sox go after is the possibility of signing said player after this year? The three names that keep coming up are Dunn, LaRoche, and Fielder. All three are in their final year of their contract (although LaRoche has a mutual option). Is there any chance the Sox try to sign any of them, and if so who's most likely to actually sign? Fielder would be the most expensive, and I don't see that happening. Dunn and LaRoche may be about equal considering they are the same age.

Thinking that Sox would want to sign one of them, if they were to try to keep Konerko as well, how much do you think the Sox would be willing to spend between the two? No more than $20 million? $18 million?

I would guess Konerko at 2 years for $12-14 million...which would be a lot more affordable without Jenks, Pierre, Linebrink and Teahen.

Dunn, while he still has limited value because of his defensive shortcomings, maybe he can get $18-24 million for 3 years.

LaRoche, I would go 2 years, $9-11 million maybe.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 07:52 PM)
It's a great move to trade Flowers and Hudson for Dunn, but only if we win 2/3 against the Royals as opposed to 1/3...so we're going to base our decision on giving up 12 years of service time for 4 months based on potentially 1 game against the Royals?

Makes perfect sense...

Yes, that's exactly what I said. :lolhitting

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 08:23 AM)
I actually gotta disagree with this...there were times when he'd completely overhauled it coming into ST, better balance, more bent knees, etc., but he'd get sent down or benched or injured and by the time he'd be back, all the old habits would be there.

Beckham flashes a good swing every few at bats but just hasn't had any consistency with it this year.

Anderson was a ST hero... other than that, he sucked. Him, and Josh Fields, are easily two of the dumbest hitters that have ever put on a White Sox uniform. Good athletes who sucked at baseball.

Unfortunately, thus far into the season, Beckham could be falling into the same category... however, his natural talent far exceeds both Anderson and Fields, and it has only been half a season of suckage. He does still have time to turn it around. Its up to him though and how he handles what has likely been the most adversity he has ever had on a baseball field. If he continues to be a dummy at bat, well, we got one of the biggest busts in our history. However, if he realizes his approach and swing need altercation, puts in the work, and gets smarter, he's got a chance.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 08:35 AM)
Anderson was a ST hero... other than that, he sucked. Him, and Josh Fields, are easily two of the dumbest hitters that have ever put on a White Sox uniform. Good athletes who sucked at baseball.

Unfortunately, thus far into the season, Beckham could be falling into the same category... however, his natural talent far exceeds both Anderson and Fields, and it has only been half a season of suckage. He does still have time to turn it around. Its up to him though and how he handles what has likely been the most adversity he has ever had on a baseball field. If he continues to be a dummy at bat, well, we got one of the biggest busts in our history. However, if he realizes his approach and swing need altercation, puts in the work, and gets smarter, he's got a chance.

Don't forget Joe Borchard.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 08:29 AM)
Trading Beckham for Dunn would be beyond ridiculous.

Why is it that any player who has a bad half-season automatically turns into dogsh** in some fans eyes?

That would be a f***ing stupid trade. Beckham is a young player who's already had success in the majors. Even if this season is a complete waste, I'm very confident he'll be a very productive player next year and should continue to improve over the coming years. He's got a legitimate chance of being a top 5 2B and is under team control for 5 more seasons. You do not trade him for a rental and a couple of draft picks who may never amount to anything.

Edited by Chicago White Sox