Peavy Done for Year; Marquez Up

knightni

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 05:31 PM)
Stupid ledge jumpers. Just a strain.

these posts need to be deleted as soon as possible, I can't handle the momentary glee of thinking there was a misdiagnoses, only to be sunk back down a second later by the following post.... :crying

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 05:29 PM)
I am probably in the minority here but I don't think this loss is a big deal. The guy hasn't pitched consistently all season. Sure he has been hot lately but he gave us a lot of bad starts too. I think he is fairly replaceable and we have the weapons to do it. Losing him and gaining a bat is still a big win.

I feel pretty much the same way. It might even save Kenny from himself and prevent him from trading Hudson away.

I just shudder at the wasted $...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 01:04 AM)
I feel pretty much the same way. It might even save Kenny from himself and prevent him from trading Hudson away.

Completely agree that if Hudson ends up being a solid major league starter, this injury might have saved KW.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 08:04 PM)

hopefully, they get some of it back from insurance. It won't be the whole 16-17 mil or whatever it is but hopefully some.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 06:29 PM)
I am probably in the minority here but I don't think this loss is a big deal. The guy hasn't pitched consistently all season. Sure he has been hot lately but he gave us a lot of bad starts too. I think he is fairly replaceable and we have the weapons to do it. Losing him and gaining a bat is still a big win.

Dont be foolish, Peavy was a big part of the team turning it around. It coincides with when he turned it around. He's the most talented pitcher on this staff and an emotional leader. Its a huge loss.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 08:36 PM)
Dont be foolish, Peavy was a big part of the team turning it around. It coincides with when he turned it around. He's the most talented pitcher on this staff and an emotional leader. Its a huge loss.

Hudson will need to step it up. We'll find out in a hurry what he's made of.

I love Jake, but part of me is excited to see Dan get his chance.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 08:36 PM)

I guess I am not fooled by the big name. I don't see any evidence of him being an emotional leader. He may fire himself up but that's it

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 05:51 PM)
Do you really expect Freddy to keep up this pace the rest of the season?

I don't understand all of the concern over Freddys' health. It's been more than 2 years since his surgery and he seems to be in perfect health. I'm more worried about Buehrle or Floyd going down than I am Freddy.

Just throwin this out there and expect to be flamed and labeled retarded but hey what the heck. What about revisiting a Zambrano trade. I KNOW I KNOW the dude is a serious mental midget but maybe a change of scenery would really help him and he coud thrive with OZ. I know the Flubs would have to pay at least 30-35 million of that remaining salary for us to even think about it. And I think it would not cost much in the way of prospects. Dunno just a wild dumb idea on my part. OK Flame away!!!

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 05:31 AM)
Just throwin this out there and expect to be flamed and labeled retarded but hey what the heck. What about revisiting a Zambrano trade. I KNOW I KNOW the dude is a serious mental midget but maybe a change of scenery would really help him and he coud thrive with OZ. I know the Flubs would have to pay at least 30-35 million of that remaining salary for us to even think about it. And I think it would not cost much in the way of prospects. Dunno just a wild dumb idea on my part. OK Flame away!!!

retarded

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 04:35 AM)
Yeah, I knew it. But can we make it with Huddie/Freddie as the 4/5 combo?? If the Twins some how sign Lee that is a big concern.

I'm not sure Hudson isn't better than Zambrano right now. Zambrano has been terrible this season, and let me tell you that from watching his games, he gets out of so many jams by eventually getting the pitcher out. He wouldn't have that luxury in the AL.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 11:31 PM)

Zambrano+AL=Dontrelle Willis

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 04:22 PM)
We really need Hudson to step up now. Guys, we had a similar staff in 08 with no 5th starter and we were able to win the thing that year. It's nowhere near f***ing over.

Also, kinda didn't have a 5th starter in 05 the second half until McCarthy stepped in.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 03:44 PM)
Below is what I said earlier in the thread, it definitely hurts us but doesn't put us out of the race.

If JFP were to be out for the year, he would miss about 15 more starts. Realistically assuming the team goes 10-5 in games he starts, then as long as Hudson can hit the .500 mark, they would only lose a game or two in the standings. I know in this division one game has meant everything the last two years, but it can still be won. Losing a Rios or PK would hurt much more IMO.

Peavy has made 16 starts (I'll exclude this 17th one from Tues). The White Sox are 8-8 in those starts. I'd say Peavy is even a bit lucky that the Sox are playing .500 ball in his starts as he's put up a 4.63 ERA. You can decide to look at this a million different ways. The Sox have won 37 games in which Peavy did not play, and all of 8 games in which he did. In two of those games, the Sox won when he gave up 7 and 5 runs. Peavy has the worst ERA of our 5 starters. He trails the team with 8 quality starts.

All of these things point to the Sox should be able to continue to contend just fine with Hudson (it wouldn't shock me if he bested Peavy's 4.63 ERA). No doubt, a dominant Peavy (as he's been in some, but not most of his starts) is a huge boost, but I'm definitely in the camp that says pick up a good lefty bat and let Hudson pitch. The team is rolling right now. 23 of 29.

Edited by Vance Law

If the Sox go for another SP, I think they will try and pry away Dan Haren or Roy Oswalt. I can't see giving up a bunch for 1/2 year of Lee,let Minny do that. Oswalt could be had cheaper than Haren, propsect-wise, it's the huge contract next year that would be the problem.

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 02:09 AM)
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/colu...tory?id=5362822

I think there's two videos, one explains the injury and another gives some opinions

Good couple of vids, imo

After watching the video, the injury makes biomechanical sense. I hadn't noticed it before, but on the pitch he ruptured the tendon he really dropped down and pulled his arm across his body. One of the major functions of the lat is to do adduction of the shoulder which is exactly what that motion was. He will need to drastically alter that motion after the surgery to prevent this from happening again. Hopefully it won't be a significant problem for him.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 02:51 AM)
Peavy has made 16 starts (I'll exclude this 17th one from Tues). The White Sox are 8-8 in those starts. I'd say Peavy is even a bit lucky that the Sox are playing .500 ball in his starts as he's put up a 4.63 ERA. You can decide to look at this a million different ways. The Sox have won 37 games in which Peavy did not play, and all of 8 games in which he did. In two of those games, the Sox won when he gave up 7 and 5 runs. Peavy has the worst ERA of our 5 starters. He trails the team with 8 quality starts.

All of these things point to the Sox should be able to continue to contend just fine with Hudson (it wouldn't shock me if he bested Peavy's 4.63 ERA). No doubt, a dominant Peavy (as he's been in some, but not most of his starts) is a huge boost, but I'm definitely in the camp that says pick up a good lefty bat and let Hudson pitch. The team is rolling right now. 23 of 29.

Good post. I am right with you. It's not a big loss. If anything we would miss him in the playoffs when you need the dominant start. Though he has never shown that in the playoffs. Pick up a good bat and we can win this thing. That and don't make 5 errors

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 08:38 AM)
If Peavy has to change his mechanics, something in which he hasn't really done.. e v e r, then I don't see a positive outcome after his surgery+rehab, he won't be the same pitcher

bad money is bad

Peavy only drops down occasionally - and that is the motion ptatc was referring to. The solution is simple, really - don't drop down anymore, unless you can change your drop-down motion.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 03:37 PM)
So the Sox intramural track and field team still has hope.

Damn you, you made me laugh while reading one of the most depressing threads of the year.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 01:33 PM)
Good post. I am right with you. It's not a big loss. If anything we would miss him in the playoffs when you need the dominant start. Though he has never shown that in the playoffs. Pick up a good bat and we can win this thing. That and don't make 5 errors

Well, Peavy's about as good in big games as Javy Vazquez is.