Lance Berkman traded to Yankees

Heads22

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 10:02 AM)
Berkman will not be traded unless he asks to be traded. He's a local product and one of the faces of the Astros and there is no way they will trade him for anything less than top prospects because they aren't going to sell him for crap and upset an already upset fan base.

So if Berkman wants to go, great, we can go after him, otherwise, he'll stay unless the Astros get blown away (and he isn't worth a blown away offer).

Berkman is FA after this year- it would only make sense to deal him now to get something for him. Im pretty sure Houston knows they need to start over. That team has been a mess for awhile now.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 09:09 AM)
Berkman is FA after this year- it would only make sense to deal him now to get something for him. Im pretty sure Houston knows they need to start over. That team has been a mess for awhile now.

And Berkman probably wouldn't leave, unless it was to go play for the Rangers. He loves it in Texas.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 09:33 AM)
Im pretty sure I recall him saying he was open to being traded like a month ago

I think it was more along the lines of what Paulie said, if the team felt it was best to move him to make them better, than so be it. He has a tremendous relationship with the city and the owner.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 11:34 AM)
I think it was more along the lines of what Paulie said, if the team felt it was best to move him to make them better, than so be it. He has a tremendous relationship with the city and the owner.

Well if we didnt go on a streak there is a really good possibility Konerko is playing for the Angels right now or some other team. Maybe Im giving the Astros management too much credit but I see no reason why they wouldnt trade him.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 09:39 AM)
Well if we didnt go on a streak there is a really good possibility Konerko is playing for the Angels right now or some other team. Maybe Im giving the Astros management too much credit but I see no reason why they wouldnt trade him.

There is also a much better chance that we wouldn't have plans on resigning Paulie which is why we would have traded him. Again, for the right offer.

Paulie is much more valuable right now, so the offer we'd get would be probably better than the 1st rounder we could get by offering him arb and having him sign somewhere else.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 11:09 AM)

He has a $15 mill club option for 2011 that he has suggested he wants picked up if he were to approve a trade anywhere. If the Sox were to be able to afford that, they'd likely need to find a new home for two of Teahen, Linebrink, and Pierre.

Edited by witesoxfan

If we could get him for a package built around Jordan Danks and Carlos Torres, sign me up. I'll take that chance. But I doubt that will happen.

And I don't like giving up Danks but I'd give him up before Morel and some other guys, especially since we have Mitchell and Tracye Thompson in the minors (well hopefully) as well as the emergence of this guy Alex Rios at the major league level.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 11:43 AM)
If we could get him for a package built around Jordan Danks and Carlos Torres, sign me up. I'll take that chance. But I doubt that will happen.

And I don't like giving up Danks but I'd give him up before Morel and some other guys, especially since we have Mitchell and Tracye Thompson in the minors (well hopefully) as well as the emergence of this guy Alex Rios at the major league level.

and some other guy named Carlos Quentin

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 02:03 PM)
With Brett Wallace just being traded to the Astros for Anthony Gose, I think that this may mean Lance Berkman gets moved by the deadline. Wallace would become the heir to Berkman. I would think Berkman would come cheaper than Dunn. So maybe Hudson + Torres or some other non top-prospect?

They just traded Oswalt for a pitcher with less upside than Hudson, I think we could get Berkman if we took on his salary and gave them a combination Morel/Holmberg/etc.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 05:05 PM)
They just traded Oswalt for a pitcher with less upside than Hudson, I think we could get Berkman if we took on his salary and gave them a combination Morel/Holmberg/etc.

I'd hate to give up Morel in a Berkman deal. Seriously.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 04:03 PM)
With Brett Wallace just being traded to the Astros for Anthony Gose, I think that this may mean Lance Berkman gets moved by the deadline. Wallace would become the heir to Berkman. I would think Berkman would come cheaper than Dunn. So maybe Hudson + Torres or some other non top-prospect?

I'm not sure that's a great deal for Toronto.

Well, looks like the deal looks a little better for the Astros now. Wallace and Happ for Oswalt seems kinda worth it.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 05:08 PM)
I really doubt Danks is going anywhere. Morel seems like the most viable piece to get moved, IMO.

I really disagree on that...because it strikes me that Morel is one of those guys who isn't hugely valuable in a trade (because he doesn't have superstar upside) but could be really useful to us (by being a reliable average bat with a good glove and cheap).

Berkman's brought his numbers back up to respectability. I would definitely take him for the right price. We'll have to pick up a lot of salary, but right now, our prospects are a lot more important than our finances.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 02:09 PM)
Berkman's brought his numbers back up to respectability. I would definitely take him for the right price. We'll have to pick up a lot of salary, but right now, our prospects are a lot more important than our finances.

ZiPS projects a .383 wOBA the rest of the way for him, I'll take it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 02:08 PM)
I really disagree on that...because it strikes me that Morel is one of those guys who isn't hugely valuable in a trade (because he doesn't have superstar upside) but could be really useful to us (by being a reliable average bat with a good glove and cheap).

Morel strikes me as a guy that is a very sure bet to be useful in the majors and I think a lot of organizations would value that.

Edited by Knackattack

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 05:10 PM)
Morel strikes me as a guy that is a very sure bet to be useful in the majors and I think a lot of organizations would value that.

Even though he's still playing, the torn Labrum on Morel probably doesn't help either.

QUOTE (clown baby @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 04:09 PM)
Does anybody else really like the idea of keeping Morel long term? He's been praised for his defense, and that would be great to have an elite infield of Morel, Alexei, and Beckham. That would be spectacular.

I want to keep Morel even more than I want to keep Hudson, but I'm a big Morel fan, so take that for what it is. But the idea of having a great glove at 3B, and a guy who hits and adjusts well at every level excites me. Plus, from communicating with him, he seems like a really nice guy who I'm sure would be a good clubhouse player. Morel is a keeper IMO.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 04:11 PM)
ZiPS projects a .383 wOBA the rest of the way for him, I'll take it.

Yup, same here. He has a wOBA of .356 right now, which would be like a 15 wRAA upgrade over Kotsay.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 04:10 PM)
I dunno. His numbers have been declining the past 3 years. Would he really help much?

His OPS+ this year is 117, Kotsay's is 74... with that simple number you would be getting a 43% better batter... it would be a world of difference.