Inception Discussion Thread

knightni

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Jul 23, 2010 -> 06:25 PM)

They're the same actors - they never age.

IMDB says otherwise. If the entire movie is a dream it is nonsensical considering we see him putting himself under on multiple occasions and the story would fall under its own weight. If you are to accept the entire movie is a dream then essentially when he is first in Saito's dream that is the first level of a dream and then each subsequent time that the extraction machine is used that would be the next level of a dream. Do you realize how utterly ridiculous that is? Well I guess the entire movie could be one large dream with no logic or coherence at all which would be pointless.

There are basically two possible interpretations that exist without the movie being basically a piece of crap. First that we see reality in the scenes that are depicted as reality, and they really are trying to create an inception on Fisher, they succeed, Dom pulls Saito out of limbo and gets back to the real world. This is almost undoubtedly what really happened. The second possible interpretation is that we see reality during the movie but that the final scene is Dom still stuck being in limbo and then being over his guilt and being able to be with his children in his mind and doesn't care if it is reality which frankly is a bit ridiculous in itself considering nobody would be ok with just living with their projections and memories of their children over the real thing.

Edit: Just read this and realized this might come off as condescending, not my intention at all.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (3E8 @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 09:08 PM)
Someone try this, I'm too scared to

2z50qrd.jpg

The number of misspellings in that article makes me think it is bulls***.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I've experienced that "body asleep/mind awake" thing lots of times. For me, it usually happens after waking up, though. Once in a while, I'll wake up and feel like I can't move my body at all for a few seconds. And then, I'll pop right out of it all of a sudden.

I also become aware that I'm dreaming a lot (maybe once a week or bi-weekly). I can never stay asleep when I become aware of the dream, though. I'll definitely be trying that spinning thing if I remember.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (3E8 @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 10:50 PM)
It's very rare that I realize I'm dreaming. But like you, whenever I do, I instantly wake up. I'd like to try the method above, but the hallucination part freaks me out

Yeah, it definitely freaks me out, too. I'm not going to be trying it, but I will attempt the spinning thing while I'm already dreaming if I have the chance.

When I realize I'm dreaming, I usually have like 10 seconds before I wake up. I always want to keep the dream going, but it's never worked.

Whenever i do sleep, as little as i do, i lucid dream on command. It may take someone years to learn their given techniques, while it may take another nothing more than a couple weeks. Some very gifted people can pick it up in as little as a day... but it's so slim and far between that it's not worth getting worried over. Take your time and it will come.

Sleep paralysis is ancient, it goes back to the beginning of people. Everyone actually experiences sleep paralysis nightly. The thing is it's to such a small degree, and so foreign, that people don't even have a clue what they are going through.

Some of the things you may experience is feeling/seeing the presence of the following, demons, djinn, witches, warlocks, goblins, aliens, trees, ghosts, indescribable creatures, and so on. With everyone of these, they are generally describe as being on ones chest, limiting breathing to the point it feels like you will all but suffocate, or they might be hovering over a person, strangling them. You will likely experience highly intense auditory hallucinations, which will likely be more bothersome than the visuals. If anyone has experienced deliriants (dumb spell check does not even acknowledge the word) you will likely know the type of auditory i'm talking about. Deliriants are a step past hallucinogenics, which i recommend to no one, i mean come on, just look at how terrible the word itself is.

There can be an extremely positive side to sleep paralysis, which is not uncommon to reach, but if gone about wrong, it will get ugly fast, and you will be stuck for an extended period of time. You will be defenseless. If a person does not have a history of lucid dreaming, they have zero business attempting sleep paralysis.

If anyone has any real interest in the dream world... dreamviews should just about have you covered. Countless tutorials on ways to achieve all sorts of things.

Fantastic movie, really glad I saw that.

And of course, the whole top spinning at the end thing obviously worked well, since it is causing such a discussion in here. That's the whole idea - take from it what you want to.

One thing bothered me though - the dreams were too "real", too concrete. Most of my dreams, at least what I can remember, are just far more surreal than what I saw in this movie. Anyone else feel that way?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 08:24 AM)
Fantastic movie, really glad I saw that.

And of course, the whole top spinning at the end thing obviously worked well, since it is causing such a discussion in here. That's the whole idea - take from it what you want to.

One thought I had: the totem wasn't Cobb's; it was his wife's. When Arthur showed his totem to Ellen Paige, he wouldn't even let her touch it, for that would ruin the point of the totem. However, Cobb started using his wife's totem after she died. I'm not sure we can assume that the totem was ever really effective in the movie for telling us which parts of the story were reality. However, as NorthSideSox said, I think the point was to take from it what you want, but we can never really know with absolute certainty whether anything is real.

Why are we talking in spoiler tags anyway. You're just asking for spoilers if you haven't seen the movie and read the "inception discussion thread." I stayed out of this until I saw the movie like most smart people would.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 05:30 AM)
Whenever i do sleep, as little as i do, i lucid dream on command. It may take someone years to learn their given techniques, while it may take another nothing more than a couple weeks. Some very gifted people can pick it up in as little as a day... but it's so slim and far between that it's not worth getting worried over. Take your time and it will come.

Sleep paralysis is ancient, it goes back to the beginning of people. Everyone actually experiences sleep paralysis nightly. The thing is it's to such a small degree, and so foreign, that people don't even have a clue what they are going through.

Some of the things you may experience is feeling/seeing the presence of the following, demons, djinn, witches, warlocks, goblins, aliens, trees, ghosts, indescribable creatures, and so on. With everyone of these, they are generally describe as being on ones chest, limiting breathing to the point it feels like you will all but suffocate, or they might be hovering over a person, strangling them. You will likely experience highly intense auditory hallucinations, which will likely be more bothersome than the visuals. If anyone has experienced deliriants (dumb spell check does not even acknowledge the word) you will likely know the type of auditory i'm talking about. Deliriants are a step past hallucinogenics, which i recommend to no one, i mean come on, just look at how terrible the word itself is.

There can be an extremely positive side to sleep paralysis, which is not uncommon to reach, but if gone about wrong, it will get ugly fast, and you will be stuck for an extended period of time. You will be defenseless. If a person does not have a history of lucid dreaming, they have zero business attempting sleep paralysis.

If anyone has any real interest in the dream world... dreamviews should just about have you covered. Countless tutorials on ways to achieve all sorts of things.

I've had sleep paralysis on various occasions. Not in recent years though. It used to occur about once a month when I wasn't sleeping well, almost assuredly undiagnosed insomnia. You don't necessarily see all those creatures. I just remember that it would happen to me often enough that my routine would be to try to get a single finger moving. I would occasionaly hear and see things as although I felt awake, my mind was still dreaming up stuff. It's just a terrifying feeling at first to feel so helpless, wanting to move or speak, trying to open your mouth and yell, possibly to escape some impending danger, but not being able to.

Anyways, the movie is really good, but damn, I just knew it could not live up to the immense hype. As far as the twist ending, I was expecting something a little more unexpected like it all being his wife's dream (anyone else keep noticing that pimple on her forehead??) or one of his kids' dreams or in the snow globe of a retarded kid. I dunno, something a little crazier than a spinning top...

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 09:37 PM)
I've had sleep paralysis on various occasions. Not in recent years though. It used to occur about once a month when I wasn't sleeping well, almost assuredly undiagnosed insomnia. You don't necessarily see all those creatures. I just remember that it would happen to me often enough that my routine would be to try to get a single finger moving. I would occasionaly hear and see things as although I felt awake, my mind was still dreaming up stuff. It's just a terrifying feeling at first to feel so helpless, wanting to move or speak, trying to open your mouth and yell, possibly to escape some impending danger, but not being able to.

Anyways, the movie is really good, but damn, I just knew it could not live up to the immense hype. As far as the twist ending, I was expecting something a little more unexpected like it all being his wife's dream (anyone else keep noticing that pimple on her forehead??) or one of his kids' dreams or in the snow globe of a retarded kid. I dunno, something a little crazier than a spinning top...

See, that's the exact feeling I get. I don't hear anything weird, just need to really focus for a second to move. It seems like you guys are all saying that it happens at the beginning of sleep for you, but it's when I wake up.

As to the bold part, is that from something?

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 09:37 PM)

You were expecting an M Night Shyamalan ending? :ph34r:

Saw it, liked it, though not crazy over it like a lot of people. Still, it was refreshing to see a new and original film. 8.5/10

Acting was pretty good all around. The fight scene in the hotel hallway/hotel room was awesome. My main complaint was the opening scene. He should have cut that. The entire movie I kept thinking "ok, how is this all going to work itself out?" You knew going in to the inception part that Saito was going to be stuck in limbo, which sorta killed any emotional response you'd get from him dying once he got shot (the risk of him going into limbo). Also, I would have preferred some back story with Cobb and Mal. I hate movies that just throw in these really deep and strong emotional ties between people without explaining it. I didn't really care that he lost her, despite all the crying and yelling.

Can't wait to see it again when it comes out on Blu-ray.

QUOTE (asmithxc @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 08:20 PM)

One thought I had: the totem wasn't Cobb's; it was his wife's. When Arthur showed his totem to Ellen Paige, he wouldn't even let her touch it, for that would ruin the point of the totem. However, Cobb started using his wife's totem after she died. I'm not sure we can assume that the totem was ever really effective in the movie for telling us which parts of the story were reality. However, as NorthSideSox said, I think the point was to take from it what you want, but we can never really know with absolute certainty whether anything is real.

I agree on the totem tidbit you mention, I sorta felt this too, that there was another object he used because he did after all take his wife's.