August White Sox Catch-All Thread

iamshack

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 08:12 AM)
Send down Kotsay and bring up Harrel or Torres.

On a side note, didn't anyone on our side realize there was a very slim chance of getting last night's game in? Shouldn't they have just warmed up Pena and given him the start? Seems like a huge blunder to let Jackson warm up and pitch to a batter knowing that a huge storm was coming that would last several hours. We can't be giving up a guy in the rotation like that in the middle of a pennant race.

If you're into conspiracy theories, Joe West was the crew chief for last night's game. :)

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 08:12 AM)

On a side note, didn't anyone on our side realize there was a very slim chance of getting last night's game in? Shouldn't they have just warmed up Pena and given him the start? Seems like a huge blunder to let Jackson warm up and pitch to a batter knowing that a huge storm was coming that would last several hours. We can't be giving up a guy in the rotation like that in the middle of a pennant race.

I agree. If it were so obvious they wouldn't get the game in, and this was just a Joe West production, why have Jackson warm up at all? Apparently there had to have been some hope of getting the game in. When a game gets rained out in the bottom of the first inning, however, it does seem either someone was way too optimistic or way too stubborn.

While this will put a strain on the Sox, it may have been a blessing. It was a very small sample size last night, but Jackson didn't have his command. You never know, he might have walked a few, then grooved a few and the Sox could have lost.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 11:42 AM)
Why the hell does the second game start at 10 p.m. (at least according to ESPN)? Heat?

absurd considering you have a 1pm game scheduled sunday. you would think the union would b**** and moan about that

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 01:12 PM)

Now we are complaining that our staff members are not weathermen?

The ump said we were going to play ball.

The second guessing is mind boggling sometimes.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 03:34 PM)
Now we are complaining that our staff members are not weathermen?

The ump said we were going to play ball.

The second guessing is mind boggling sometimes.

Well, it probably wasn't our team's fault, but you've got to admit, someone seriously screwed up.

Yes, I admit the umpire screwed up starting the game. Or the Royals, if it is the home team's call up to the first pitch.

Maybe the Royals wanted to f*** with the White Sox rotation since KC's rotation doesn't even matter.

There's no way the Sox staff can be blamed for warming up Jackson. Next thing we'll do is second guess playing Paulie some night when he has cold symptoms and he goes 0h-fer.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 02:58 PM)
Yes, I admit the umpire screwed up starting the game. Or the Royals, if it is the home team's call up to the first pitch.

Maybe the Royals wanted to f*** with the White Sox rotation since KC's rotation doesn't even matter.

There's no way the Sox staff can be blamed for warming up Jackson. Next thing we'll do is second guess playing Paulie some night when he has cold symptoms and he goes 0h-fer.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist in today's age to know that a major storm is just about to roll over the area for the next few hours. We've delayed the start of games at USCF on more than one occasion without a single drop of rain hitting the ground.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 04:28 PM)
It doesn't take a rocket scientist in today's age to know that a major storm is just about to roll over the area for the next few hours. We've delayed the start of games at USCF on more than one occasion without a single drop of rain hitting the ground.

That call is all on the home team's groundscrew and the umpires. The White Sox happen to have a fairly decent groundskeeper. You may have heard of him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 03:29 PM)
That call is all on the home team's groundscrew and the umpires. The White Sox happen to have a fairly decent groundskeeper. You may have heard of him.

I understand that but using something as simple as an iPhone could tell the Sox coaching staff that within 15 minutes a torrential downpour will ensue for the next 3 hours and there will be a 99.9% chance the the game will be called regardless if the dumb grounds crew or ump think it's a good idea to get a half inning in or not.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 04:32 PM)
I understand that but using something as simple as an iPhone could tell the Sox coaching staff that within 15 minutes a torrential downpour will ensue for the next 3 hours and there will be a 99.9% chance the the game will be called regardless if the dumb grounds crew or ump think it's a good idea to get a half inning in or not.

Teams are not allowed electronics in the dugout area due to potential cheating. That's why they still use dugout phones to the bullpen.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 03:34 PM)
Teams are not allowed electronics in the dugout area due to potential cheating. That's why they still use dugout phones to the bullpen.

So they are completely shut off from the outside world? No computer in the skipper's office? Nothing? The TV or Radio booth couldn't have given them a heads up?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 04:37 PM)
So they are completely shut off from the outside world? No computer in the skipper's office? Nothing? The TV or Radio booth couldn't have given them a heads up?

I don't know if they are completely shut off, but coaches and players can't have electronic devices in the dugout.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 04:03 PM)
I don't know if they are completely shut off, but coaches and players can't have electronic devices in the dugout.

The clubhouse is a few paces down the tunnel, plenty of options in there. Not sure why the entire team would be confined to the dugout.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 05:39 PM)
The clubhouse is a few paces down the tunnel, plenty of options in there. Not sure why the entire team would be confined to the dugout.

They're not. He was asking why they didn't use an iPhone etc early on in the game. I was under the assumption that everyone was in the dugout or bullpen early in the game, thus unable to use equipment. Usually the teams rely on the umpires and grounds crew to tell them what's going on with the weather.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 04:47 PM)
They're not. He was asking why they didn't use an iPhone etc early on in the game. I was under the assumption that everyone was in the dugout or bullpen early in the game, thus unable to use equipment. Usually the teams rely on the umpires and grounds crew to tell them what's going on with the weather.

You're the only one that brought up the dugout, I don't really see why where a "no electronics" rule plays a role in any of this. The Sox knew what the forecast was before and during the game yesterday, not being aloud to have a cell phone in the dugout doesn't hamper them in the least.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 08:28 PM)

The game actually started.

So let me get this straight. You think Ozzie/KW or whomever should have warmed up Pena, had Pena ready to start with the assumption the game would be rained out when the game actually started??

This is by far the most absurd example of second-guessing I have ever heard.

Hopefully someday we will hire the perfect manager, somebody who can do what you wanted in this instance.

Wow.

Yes Greg. Why is this so unbelievable to you? Like I already said earlier, if you actually bothered to read my post, there have been numerous instances where they didn't even bother to start and a drop of rain didn't even hit the ground yet. With modern weather radar you can see a storm is on it's way and can figure out how long it will last. You're telling me not a single member of the Sox organization had a clue that a major storm was just about to get there and result in hours of torrential rain? No one had a clue? That stuff is monitored closely and I refuse to believe not a single person knew it wasn't about to get there at any moment.

But you can continue with your responses of bewilderment "because that's not how it's done in baseball" excuse for everything. Well maybe it's time for some new people in charge that think outside the box and not do everything the exact same way its always been done.

And how awesome would it have been if we were all talking about what a brilliant move for Ozzie to throw Pena or Linebrink out there for those 8 minutes of baseball while saving Jackson? And how hardly any other managers would have had the foresight to do something like that.

With all due respect, squert, you are losing your mind over your dislike of Ozzie.

My god ... the game was scheduled. I just heard TODAY that the forecast was for the game to be OK starting at 10 f***ing p.m. Royals annoucners also were pissed and the whole pregame show was about this issue.

They also lost a starter in the series.

You go with your regular starting pitcher.

How mad would you have been if the game had been f***ing played and we started Linebrink??

Think about what you are asking of Ozzie here.

If you called Rongey's show on this he would laugh you off the air or hang up on you so quickly.

It's nonsensical.

Jackson was scheduled to pitch so he f***ing warmed up to pitch.

The game started. There was supposed to be a game played that evening.

It was a travesty orchestrated by West. It was a sad thing that happened and a shame it had to happen.

But ...

Ozzie should have magically known the game would be called so he should start Liney?? Are you insane?

Edited by greg775