August White Sox Catch-All Thread

iamshack

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 01:51 AM)
I just heard TODAY that the forecast was for the game to be OK starting at 10 f***ing p.m.

Ozzie should have magically known the game would be called so he should start Liney?? Are you insane?

So let me get this straight. They thought that by 10 PM the weather would clear up to play? Then why warm up Jackson at 6:30 and let him pitch to 2 batters? If for some insane reason, which actually did occur, the ump decides to start the game minutes before a major storm was about to hit then why warm up Jackson at all? Throw in a scrub for those 10 minutes of game time and when the weather MIGHT clear several hours later and it looks on the radar that they'll get in in then you could warm up Jackson. But I know....this is some sort of insane rationale. It's using the technological tools available to any Tom, Dick or Harry so lets just waste a pitcher for no reason. There's no magic involved Greg. Just readily available data that they've effectively used many times in the past.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 01:27 AM)
what was the Rios story Frank told?

He mentioned their time together in Toronto and how Rios used to have a bad temper and would break batting helmets by ripping them apart. I think he said that his nickname was splitter.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 07:56 AM)
So let me get this straight. They thought that by 10 PM the weather would clear up to play? Then why warm up Jackson at 6:30 and let him pitch to 2 batters? If for some insane reason, which actually did occur, the ump decides to start the game minutes before a major storm was about to hit then why warm up Jackson at all? Throw in a scrub for those 10 minutes of game time and when the weather MIGHT clear several hours later and it looks on the radar that they'll get in in then you could warm up Jackson. But I know....this is some sort of insane rationale. It's using the technological tools available to any Tom, Dick or Harry so lets just waste a pitcher for no reason. There's no magic involved Greg. Just readily available data that they've effectively used many times in the past.

I'd be curious to hear if any manager has ever done that. I sure don't remember it happening.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 09:28 AM)
I'd be curious to hear if any manager has ever done that. I sure don't remember it happening.

Maybe. Maybe not. It would be a damn smart move though and we'd all be praising Ozzie if he did that.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 09:32 AM)
Maybe. Maybe not. It would be a damn smart move though and we'd all be praising Ozzie if he did that.

There is about zero chance of that happening. When is the last time that Ozzie got a ton of praise for anything he did right? Not to mention, if we are talking about a move that no one has ever done before, that makes it literally an impossible standard.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 09:37 AM)
[/b]

There is about zero chance of that happening. When is the last time that Ozzie got a ton of praise for anything he did right? Not to mention, if we are talking about a move that no one has ever done before, that makes it literally an impossible standard.

I'd find it hard to believe that no one would be impressed that he saved Jackson from missing a start.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 09:40 AM)
I'd find it hard to believe that no one would be impressed that he saved Jackson from missing a start.

Why, when is the last time there was a big long thread praising Ozzie around here that wasn't watered down by people still harping on his shortfalls?

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 09:20 AM)
He mentioned their time together in Toronto and how Rios used to have a bad temper and would break batting helmets by ripping them apart. I think he said that his nickname was splitter.

Rios must have very strong hands.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 09:32 AM)

As soon as I saw this, I knew the following post would be this:

[/b]

However, the Sox telecast and announcer shouldn't be zeroing in on Joe West saying he might have cost them a trip to the playoffs. Hawk said West was told they would be able to play for 15 minutes. If that is true, then I'm sure the White Sox had the same information. If it was such a lock to pour for 2 hours or so, why bother warming your guy up if you are just going to lose him?

I'm glad the Sox won game 2, now they can't blame West, who is an ass without question. But don't blame him if you have the same information he had. Again, Jackson didn't have his command early, for all we know this was a blessing as they ultimately won the make up game.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 11:40 AM)
However, the Sox telecast and announcer shouldn't be zeroing in on Joe West saying he might have cost them a trip to the playoffs. Hawk said West was told they would be able to play for 15 minutes. If that is true, then I'm sure the White Sox had the same information. If it was such a lock to pour for 2 hours or so, why bother warming your guy up if you are just going to lose him?

I'm glad the Sox won game 2, now they can't blame West, who is an ass without question. But don't blame him if you have the same information he had. Again, Jackson didn't have his command early, for all we know this was a blessing as they ultimately won the make up game.

Ozzie said he was told by a KC clubhouse guy that they had a one hour window to play before the rain would come. Ozzie said one hour can be two innings or five innings you just don't know.

If West had different information (a 15 minute window), then he is totally at fault for starting the game when he knew it would be rained out.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 12:33 PM)

I knew I wasn't seeing things when it appeared he was a little lame after throwing a pitch last week. Hopefully nothing too bothersome. If its been an ongoing issue, it really makes you wonder why they extended him in Minneapolis.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 11:53 AM)
Ozzie said he was told by a KC clubhouse guy that they had a one hour window to play before the rain would come. Ozzie said one hour can be two innings or five innings you just don't know.

If West had different information (a 15 minute window), then he is totally at fault for starting the game when he knew it would be rained out.

One hour is probably about 3 innings, and you can stall. Remember, Ozzie is the guy who popped off during the 2005 WS that he was an inning away from putting a position player in to pitch during game 3. He probably was full of s***, but blaming the umpire is ridiculous. Even if he just went by the info he says he had, he was willing to lose Jackson after 2 or 3 innings, which isn't even an official game.

I'm not arguing if it was wrong to start the game. Obviously it was. Blaming West and having Hawk say about 10 times, AFTER saying the Sox would win the Central, say West's call could be the deciding factor in the race, is ridiculous. Don't stoop down to West's level. The Sox had the same info he did. They are just as responsible for losing Jackson as anyone.

If the game went 5, it was official. If that's what West had, I don't see why he would be at fault.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 05:47 PM)
I knew I wasn't seeing things when it appeared he was a little lame after throwing a pitch last week. Hopefully nothing too bothersome. If its been an ongoing issue, it really makes you wonder why they extended him in Minneapolis.

Get him an MRI, and then place him on the DL. Hopefully Threets is ready to return. That decision to pitch him 3 separate innings on Tuesday is absolutely ridiculous.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 10:37 AM)
[/b]

25-5 winning streak + 1st place.

There hasn't been anything to give him credit for since then.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 01:56 PM)

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 06:53 PM)
One hour is probably about 3 innings, and you can stall. Remember, Ozzie is the guy who popped off during the 2005 WS that he was an inning away from putting a position player in to pitch during game 3. He probably was full of s***, but blaming the umpire is ridiculous. Even if he just went by the info he says he had, he was willing to lose Jackson after 2 or 3 innings, which isn't even an official game.

I'm not arguing if it was wrong to start the game. Obviously it was. Blaming West and having Hawk say about 10 times, AFTER saying the Sox would win the Central, say West's call could be the deciding factor in the race, is ridiculous. Don't stoop down to West's level. The Sox had the same info he did. They are just as responsible for losing Jackson as anyone.

If the game went 5, it was official. If that's what West had, I don't see why he would be at fault.

For what it's worth, the media out here also is roasting West. They have a baseball team, too, you know, and they were upset by the loss of a starter and the DH and Sunday game all within 24 hours as well.

And I did hear that the game would be able to go at 9 or 10. In fact it would have if not for the power outage. Fans were pissed at 9 when it stopped raining.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 12:58 PM)
Get him an MRI, and then place him on the DL. Hopefully Threets is ready to return. That decision to pitch him 3 separate innings on Tuesday is absolutely ridiculous.

I love it. Who the f*** would have pitched? Who did you trust in the pen THEN (i.e. not Sale). Who? Linebrink?

He was going for the win and it failed, I'd take Thornton with 15 pitches going into the inning over anyone else in the 'pen that night. Thornton threw 18 pitches and it didn't even sniff his longest outing of the season. Please find some other random occurrence to b**** about with Ozzie.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 09:00 PM)
I love it. Who the f*** would have pitched? Who did you trust in the pen THEN (i.e. not Sale). Who? Linebrink?

He was going for the win and it failed, I'd take Thornton with 15 pitches going into the inning over anyone else in the 'pen that night. Thornton threw 18 pitches and it didn't even sniff his longest outing of the season. Please find some other random occurrence to b**** about with Ozzie.

3 separate innings, with the top of the innings taking probably 20 minutes each = time for a new reliever. Something clearly was not right with Thornton in that last inning, as his first fastball was only 92 mph. It was a bad decision at the time, and now with Thornton being unavailable, it's an even worse decision.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 08:00 PM)

Amen brotha. You are my kind of poster.