Brad Hawpe put on waivers...

RudyLawRules

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38727801/ns/...ts-player_news/

Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Rockies have placed outfielder Brad Hawpe on waivers.

Hawpe's a nice hitter and on the younger side of 31, so it's possible that a team will claim him and make a serious offer, but we've seen this month how difficult waiver deals can be. More than likely he'll just sit tight and ride out what has been a disappointing year for a seemingly stacked Rockies team. Look for a slight roster shakeup this offseason.

I'm sure he'll be blocked by someone.

QUOTE (RudyLawRules @ Aug 16, 2010 -> 10:09 PM)

I've been on the Hawpe bandwagon since the offseason, so I am at least semi-intrigued by this. His numbers haven't been too good this season, and his home/road splits are crazy. I don't think he'll make it all the way to the Sox, but if he does I would still take a flier on him. It's clear the Rockies don't want him anymore, so he could be had pretty inexpensively.

Hawpe is a worse RF than Carlos. He's a converted 1st baseman iirc.

Bad spilts this season:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/...ar=2010&t=b

He still might be an improvement over Kotsay.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 01:38 AM)
I'd be cool with this because he can play RF and make Quentin our DH. Improves our offense (Hawpe>Kotsay), and improves our defense (Hawpe>Quentin) even though according to Fangraphs, Hawpe is pretty bad defensively too, he is still much better than Quentin.

QUOTE (Big Daddy Kool @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 01:23 PM)
Hawpe is a worse RF than Carlos. He's a converted 1st baseman iirc.

Bad spilts this season:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/...ar=2010&t=b

He still might be an improvement over Kotsay.

I am going off Fangraphs, and they say Carlos is much worse. Where can I find that Hawpe is worse?

QUOTE (RudyLawRules @ Aug 16, 2010 -> 10:09 PM)

The White Sox were linked to Hawpe in July, and they came up empty looking for a bat last month. The Padres and Braves made additions, so a National League claim seems unlikely. The White Sox would have first crack in the AL, before the Twins, Red Sox, Yankees, or Rays. The Red Sox and Rays may at least consider Hawpe, but I suspect he'll make it through waivers unclaimed. That'd open up trade possibilties for the Rockies, who probably won't get draft pick compensation for the Type A free agent. It'd only be possible if they declined Hawpe's option and then offered arbitration, an unlikely scenario.

MLBTR

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Aug 19, 2010 -> 12:33 PM)
Rosenthal saying Hawpe won't clear release waivers until Monday or Tuesday. He'll be a cheap sign at that point, I wonder if the Sox will be interested. (I also wonder if the Sox will be less than 10 games out by that time.)

I'm willing to bet you anything the Sox are less than 10 games out come Monday or Tuesday afternoon.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 19, 2010 -> 12:37 PM)
I'm willing to bet you anything the Sox are less than 10 games out come Monday or Tuesday afternoon.

Well, I was exaggerating. I just meant that if the Sox aren't really in the race, they won't look to add any pieces. If they win tonight and take care of business in Kansas City, I still think they have a shot at winning the division. However would Ozzie be willing to take at bats away from Kotsay to give to Hawpe, who is measurable better in every way but not splashy?

QUOTE (Chet Lemon @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 10:44 AM)
Hawpe's career OPS+ is 116 and this has been his only "bad" season since '05. He would be an excellent fit as a DH and an occasional 1B because his numbers are better than Kotsay's across the board and his avg. is far better than Jones.

So the Sox should go by what he's done in the past, not this season? There's a reason he's being released. Pass.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 10:56 AM)
So the Sox should go by what he's done in the past, not this season? There's a reason he's being released. Pass.

By that logic, the Sox should have stayed the hell away from Rios. Despite being bad, Hawpe's numbers this season are decidedly better than Kotsay/Jones.

QUOTE (Chet Lemon @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 11:51 AM)
By that logic, the Sox should have stayed the hell away from Rios. Despite being bad, Hawpe's numbers this season are decidedly better than Kotsay/Jones.

First off, how much did Alex Rios help the White Sox last season? Oh yeah, not at all. His numbers aren't decidedly better, .211 avg. .577 OPS away from Coors Field,plus he'd be changing leagues.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Chet Lemon @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 11:51 AM)
Hawpe's numbers this season are decidedly better than Kotsay/Jones.

Hawpe - 7 HR - 37 RBI - .775 OPS

Jones - 17 HR - 40 RBI - .778 OPS

without even adding Kotsays "production" into it, I don't see how Hawpe would be changing this team in any way that would significantly improve our DH situation..

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 07:48 PM)
You probably can sign him to a minor league deal in the offseason.

You don't want to wind up where the Rays/White Sox are this year on the DH spot though where they're pulling out random, nearly washed up people from minor league deals to fill their DH slot. It'd be nice to have a tryout first.