8/22 Danks vs. Frustrated Royal

Quin

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 09:41 PM)
And this season is OVA!!!

You might be right, but I don't know if it was you or 15 other people who wrote the same thing in May. This game is OVA and this season is OVA are simplistic statements of opinion, not fact.

Edited by greg775

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 09:23 PM)
You should never make enemies with the people who can decide your fate. Unfortunately, Ozzie's not that smart when it comes to that stuff.

Sorry for the three threads in a row but I was just reading the game thread.

All this criticism of Ozzie for stuff like this is insane IMO. If he didn't argue or rip umpires then people would say he doesn't stand up for his players.

You know why we lost today?

We couldn't get a clutch hit late when we got the guy to second base.

f***ing Linebrink walked the guy. How many times have walks come around to KILL US? He walks the fastest guy on the Royals who gets to third base in a hurry and scores on the bloop. Linebrink may be the most overpaid employee in the history of employees.

But as far as you ripping Ozzie for ripping on umpires???? All good managers speak up EVERY TIME they think their players are wronged.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 05:30 PM)
Just because something is arbitrary doesn't mean that it's not useful.

No, because to you close is something different from what I think. You absolutely cannot use such crap analysis as a linchpin to your argument unless you know absolutely nothing about statistics. If you're dumb enough to trot out such tripe you deserve to be called out on your ignorance.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 04:18 PM)
Nope, sorry. Unfortunately ESPN can't do statistical analysis if the company depended on it. Here's the low down from a person who actually understands statistics instead of a bunch of brodogs at Bristol who just REALLY LOVE SPORTS:

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2010/08/esp...blows-call.html

I don't agree with that article at all. It's too subjective of a thing to say they are right, or to say they are wrong. No one will have a perfect definition of a "close" play. Let's see these guys do a study over a 2 week, 184 game span and let me see what they get, and then right an article damning them for being stupid.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 06:56 PM)
Sorry for the three threads in a row but I was just reading the game thread.

All this criticism of Ozzie for stuff like this is insane IMO. If he didn't argue or rip umpires then people would say he doesn't stand up for his players.

You know why we lost today?

We couldn't get a clutch hit late when we got the guy to second base.

f***ing Linebrink walked the guy. How many times have walks come around to KILL US? He walks the fastest guy on the Royals who gets to third base in a hurry and scores on the bloop. Linebrink may be the most overpaid employee in the history of employees.

But as far as you ripping Ozzie for ripping on umpires???? All good managers speak up EVERY TIME they think their players are wronged.

It's fine that they speak up, but you don't have to go overboard with it like he has. He's gone really far with his comments about certain umpires.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 01:30 AM)
Juan Pierre is leading the damn league in stolen bases. Omar Vizquel might be one of the best bant control guys in the history of the game, and we call for a bunt EVERY SINGLE TIME. That's Ozzieball, for you.

What's wrong with bunting the winning run over with nobody out in a tie game in the late innings?

A: Nothing. Almost every manager would do that especially with Vizquel batting. If Pierre steals and gets thrown out you'd all want Ozzie's job for that as well.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 09:11 PM)
What's wrong with bunting the winning run over with nobody out in a tie game in the late innings?

A: Nothing. Almost every manager would do that especially with Vizquel batting. If Pierre steals and gets thrown out you'd all want Ozzie's job for that as well.

Why bring in a guy and pay him millions to be the speed guy on the team, have him lead all of baseball in stealing, and then proceed to treat him as if he were Paul Konerko on the bases late in the game?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 09:52 PM)
Cause there was nobody out. You bunt him over and knock him in and all is well.

The second guessing starts when you don't knock him in.

Then why is he managing different than in 2005 where he would let Pods steal 2nd all of the time and then bunt him over?

I dunno.

Obviously second guessing the bunt tonight is a reasonable criticism since we lost.

I just think in Oz's mind it was a no brainer. Man on, tie game, bunt him over, get the hit, we go home happy unless we can't close it out.

Pierre might have stole second on oldtimer Kendall. Then we bunt him to third. Oz could have taken that gamble on the steal.

It's fair criticism but it's also fair to say the bunt is a decent percentage play with nobody out.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 09:57 PM)
I dunno.

Obviously second guessing the bunt tonight is a reasonable criticism since we lost.

I just think in Oz's mind it was a no brainer. Man on, tie game, bunt him over, get the hit, we go home happy unless we can't close it out.

Pierre might have stole second on oldtimer Kendall. Then we bunt him to third. Oz could have taken that gamble on the steal.

It's fair criticism but it's also fair to say the bunt is a decent percentage play with nobody out.

He isn't even going by his own rules of Ozzieball. For all those who think this is the same stuff we saw in the first half of 05. The formula for that was Podsednik gets on, steals second, then Iguchi hits him in or moves him to third with a hit to the right side. 1-0 sox.

Now its Pierre gets on, we waste an out and bunt him over. Then they walk the next guy to set up the DP. Inning over.

QUOTE (BearingPro @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 09:51 PM)
Poor Ozzie...he's all upset...how the f*** does he think we feel watching these bubbleheads day after day????

Ozzie is Upset

"We had men on second base like five times with two outs, and we didn't get a hit," Guillen said. You gave away one of those outs, Ozzie. You are the cause of your own suffering.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 03:52 AM)
Cause there was nobody out. You bunt him over and knock him in and all is well.

The second guessing starts when you don't knock him in.

It's not second guessing when there's a handful of people on this board begging Ozzie not to call for the bunt. Hawk probably says 10 times a game how great Omar is at hitting the hole between 1st and 2nd when someone is on first. Why not try and 1st and 3rd the opposition with no outs, and play for more than one freaking run?