Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (The Bones @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 11:43 PM)
I am glad you are not on the committee. No way in hell Nebraska gets in. And UAB's best win is uh...VCU I guess? The rest of the teams all have a case to be made, but not at the expense of Illinois.
''

Well...UAB losing to East Carolina makes this post look worse (scratch them from the ahead of Illinois list...) but if I were on the committee I'd reward teams that have won significantly more games than Illinois even if they are from a weaker conference. Illinois won only 19 games, lost to UIC and hasn't beaten a really good team since the Wisconsin game which was along time ago. In the absence of evidence that Illinois is a tournament quality team, I'll go with teams like Utah State with 28 wins or with teams like Colorado who have beaten truly good teams recently. Nebraska probably is a stretch and considering it now they probably won't make the dance, but again they at least beat somebody.

Anyway, as a gift to whitesoxfan99, I'll make this my last post on the tournament-worthiness of the 2011 UI team.....

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 06:12 AM)
Maybe, but I think we all know Illinois is not actually a tournament quality team. And I am not sure they will make it in. Using ESPN's bubble watch as a guide, there's like 10 spots for 14 bubble teams (unless I miscounted). I can easily come up with 10 bubble teams I'd take over Illinois:

Utah St, UAB, Georgia, BC, Saint Mary's, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Colorado, Nebraska, Alabama

And there's probably more (Michigan...maybe USC....probably some mid-majors with lousy RPIs but who have actually won a bunch of games which Illinois did not). The expansion of the field helps Illinois a lot, but I think until you know if there are any upsets for the automatic bids, it's really hard to say. I don't think Illinois is in now and I don't think beating Michigan moves them to safely in. In fact, unless they beat tOSU they should be sweating.

You're hatred for Illinois has turned insane. Literally none of those teams mentioned would likely get in over Illinois, except perhaps Utah State.

Out of the 68 "bracketolgists" used for the bracket matrix, all 68 have Illinois in. And they have them pretty comfortably in. Only one of those 68 has them as low as even an 11.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 12:13 AM)
''

Well...UAB losing to East Carolina makes this post look worse (scratch them from the ahead of Illinois list...) but if I were on the committee I'd reward teams that have won significantly more games than Illinois even if they are from a weaker conference. Illinois won only 19 games, lost to UIC and hasn't beaten a really good team since the Wisconsin game which was along time ago. In the absence of evidence that Illinois is a tournament quality team, I'll go with teams like Utah State with 28 wins or with teams like Colorado who have beaten truly good teams recently. Nebraska probably is a stretch and considering it now they probably won't make the dance, but again they at least beat somebody.

Anyway, as a gift to whitesoxfan99, I'll make this my last post on the tournament-worthiness of the 2011 UI team.....

Thanks for giving me a good laugh before bed.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 12:46 AM)
Thanks for giving me a good laugh before bed.

Well, at least I did one useful thing today then. On a different topic, have you (or anyone else) heard if Sam Maniscalco will be transferring to Illinois next season from Bradley? The rumors hit the mainstream press but I haven't seen anything confirming whether or not it will actually happen.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 07:38 AM)
Shout out to fathom's boy, putting on an absolute show tonight. Gunning for Reggie Miller's Pac-10 scoring record.

He's such a fluid scorer. Not quite sure why he's not hire up on mock drafts.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 01:53 AM)
Well, at least I did one useful thing today then. On a different topic, have you (or anyone else) heard if Sam Maniscalco will be transferring to Illinois next season from Bradley? The rumors hit the mainstream press but I haven't seen anything confirming whether or not it will actually happen.

Yes, Maniscalco is a done deal. But man you need to stop drinking the haterade. Illinois isn't really even on the bubble.