8/28 Gamethread - Danks v. Yank$;

clyons

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 29, 2010 -> 03:36 AM)
This year, at least for me, was going to determine who the real CQ is. Other than that crazy 3 week stretch, he's been one of the worst everyday RFs in baseball. Think the Reds would do CQ for Jay Bruce? One can dream.

Not a chance in hell would Cincy do that.

QUOTE (rafacosta @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 09:35 PM)
for all the carlos quentin lovers...he sucks in the last 2 years.

for all the tony pena lovers, he's sucked since Williams signed him.

once again, the runs that scored against him are the difference

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 29, 2010 -> 02:41 AM)
Do you have any confidence Floyd can hold the Yankees down tomorrow? Seems like he's not that good when he's not facing the Mariners, A's, Orioles, Royals or scrub NL team.

Yes, I do have confidence in Floyd. When he's on his game, he can shut down anyone. He pitched well vs Yankees last season. I don't have confidence though that Seattle will beat the Twins, and if we get to 5.5 games out with a 10 game road trip coming up, we're done.

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Aug 29, 2010 -> 02:42 AM)

Well, it's likely we don't score more than 7 runs cause Rivera starts the 9th inning then.

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 09:42 PM)

I'm one of the few that defended the trade last year. I wanted to at least give it a year before coming to a legitimate conclusion. The verdict is in: Tony Pena is bad at pitching. That's not good when you're a pitcher.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 09:31 PM)
I'm even more pissed off now. Danks/Pena really f***ed us. I won't mention Torres. I envy him. In reality he should be working at Burger King, but he somehow got to the majors.

We seem to love that Felix Diaz/Lance Broadway/Kyle Mc mix. The medicore tops out at 89 fastball with a 12/6 curve that doesn't have the tilt and no command. Unless you have pinpoint control, and can throw a few pitches to exact spots you are going to have problems throwing cheese up there. Thank god we have been getting a bit balsy with our 1st rounders lately. In a dream world we spend more on our draft and go for talent over safe not so good.

We also seem to love the Mike Jackson relief pitcher mold. We have had 3 pitchers on the team with the same exact stuff that he had. Only one year did we get anything out of that type of pitcher.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 09:39 PM)
Can't even get mad. Great thing to tell your kids you got to watch a legend close games for the Yankees growing up. The fact we got 2 runners on to give us a slight chance is amazing in itself.

Take away Pena and Torres and there is no Rivera because there is no bottom 9th.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 09:40 PM)
Great effort from the offense...but sadly, we're 4.5 games out. If we lose another game in standings tomorrow, then save the Manny money and extend Konerko.

Manny is not coming here.

It's all a big rogue to get the Dodgers motivated.

Frankly, I don't think the Dodgers have a chance at a wild card berth.

But desperate people do desperate things.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 09:44 PM)
We seem to love that Felix Diaz/Lance Broadway/Kyle Mc mix. The medicore tops out at 89 fastball with a 12/6 curve that doesn't have the tilt and no command. Unless you have pinpoint control, and can throw a few pitches to exact spots you are going to have problems throwing cheese up there. Thank god we have been getting a bit balsy with our 1st rounders lately. In a dream world we spend more on our draft and go for talent over safe not so good.

We also seem to love the Mike Jackson relief pitcher mold. We have had 3 pitchers on the team with the same exact stuff that he had. Only one year did we get anything out of that type of pitcher.

I agree. But nothing has really changed after the first round. Cheap/safe seems to be the motto. There's talent to be had up and down a 50 round baseball draft.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 09:52 PM)
Manny is not coming here.

And quite frankly, it's not like our offense has been bad lately anyway. We've got bigger issues now. Our bullpen (minus Sale) has been horrible and injured lately, our starting pitching (minus Jackson and Buehrle) hasn't been that great this month of August.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 09:55 PM)
I agree. But nothing has really changed after the first round. Cheap/safe seems to be the motto. There's talent to be had up and down a 50 round baseball draft.

With strong Reinsdorfian emphasis on CHEAP.

Whether Ozzie and/or Kenny stays or goes is irrelevant.

The change is needed at the ownership level.

But he and his cohorts are making too much money

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 09:59 PM)
And quite frankly, it's not like our offense has been bad lately anyway. We've got bigger issues now. Our bullpen (minus Sale) has been horrible and injured lately, our starting pitching (minus Jackson and Buehrle) hasn't been that great this month of August.

Middle relief along with a couple of left hitting batters should be the sole concentration of whoever is running this team in the winter.

I'm thinking with budgets stretched...we might be forced to deal Thornton or Danks instead of spending money on free agents.

Theoretically, we could make a trade, but it's very hard to do that from our minor league system.

As far as Danks goes, he's a VERY good pitcher, but no way I think about paying him Sabathia or even Lester money. He's really come up with some pretty horrible outings now against the Twins (twice) and Yankees that gave us little to no chance to stay in those games.

A lot depends on what happens with Sale. With Threets now out of the picture, our LHR situation is cloudy with zero depth behind Thornton if Sale becomes a starter. For next year, everything is predicated on Peavy being healthy. Then Sale probably spends one more year in the bullpen.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 09:36 PM)
This year, at least for me, was going to determine who the real CQ is. Other than that crazy 3 week stretch, he's been one of the worst everyday RFs in baseball. Think the Reds would do CQ for Jay Bruce? One can dream.

Totally. 2008 was f***ing great, but maybe it was just a fluke. His home/road splits are so ridiculous this year, it definitely makes me wonder. He is htting .199 on the road with a .659 OPS. Mark Kotsay laughs at that.