The Manram Thread

hi8is

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 02:47 PM)
My class in Winning 101 was taught by Al Davis.

"Just Win, Baby."

If you win, the guy in charge is doin' something right that day and gets the last laugh on all second guessers.

So, since Al Davis's team has been the worst team in the NFL for the last half-decade +, I conclude that everything you learned in your class on winning is wrong.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not the phrase, "Just Win, Baby."

That one says it all.

If a manager has to take flak after any win, he has the right to laugh in that fan's face at the bar. He could throw a drink in the fan's face, but nowadays it'd be on youtube immediately.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 01:47 PM)
My class in Winning 101 was taught by Al Davis.

"Just Win, Baby."

If you win, the guy in charge is doin' something right that day and gets the last laugh on all second guessers.

I'm sure if the Raiders head coach goes for it on 4th and 25 on his own 30, fails and gives up a TD on the next play, but the Raiders still win the game, it was the correct move and Al Davis doesn't second guess him on it. "Just Win, Baby"

Back on track...

I see the Chicago media is having a field day ever since the lame press conference. They act as if the Sox are already doomed based on how Manny reacted to the press conference. How many players put on waivers really wants to deal with a press conference?

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 03:11 PM)
Manny is flying his barber into Boston in order to get his dreads cut. Apparently his barber is a MLB player favorite and was in Minny the last two days. Will have hair cut before tomorrows game. Who knows how short.

Per ESPN Chicago

http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?w=19ujc...P&topslot=1

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...9232&st=105

I also can't believe some Sox fans are to the point they second guess after victories. It used to be that winning the game shut everybody up. Not some Sox fans. Winning erases all second guessing or it should, at least.

We won all 3 games which means they were well managed games.

We lose they are poorly managed games.

nostalgia_critic.jpg

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 08:37 AM)
Guys, if you want to talk about the economy or politics, take it to the Filibuster.

And my g*d Caufield, did you really just make a post that somehow involved Manny Ramirez, Gross Domestic Product, Robert E. Lee and the atomic bomb?

Credit where credit is due. All points made in his post were relevant to the conversation in this thread, though I could see it heading off topic, that was still one hell of a post.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 03:14 PM)
I'm sure if the Raiders head coach goes for it on 4th and 25 on his own 30, fails and gives up a TD on the next play, but the Raiders still win the game, it was the correct move and Al Davis doesn't second guess him on it. "Just Win, Baby"

If the Sox had Albert f***ing Pujols and Jerry Owens, and Ozzie PHed Pujols for Owens to face a righty in the 9th abd the Sox still won, Ozzie would be ripped to pieces for that around here (100% warranted) but I'm convinced there will still actually be an argument here about whether it was stupid or not and whether Ozzie deserves criticism for it. Joe Morgan makes statements like that all the time, "Guillen had Konerko attempt to steal home and it worked so it was the right move!" And its why he gets mocked all the time and a website dedicated to how bad he is.

There is no point to argue this anymore. No matter how sane you are and provide countless examples of how you are right it will just be brushed away. Why bother?

Usually by people that will still defend Ozzie no matter HOW brainless he is.

I'm sorry, but some of greg's posts are just void of any sort of logic. If those were the first posts he had ever posted, I literally would have thought I was talking to someone no older than 13, and I think I'm actually being a tad generous.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 08:14 PM)

Cmon. That is a pretty radical example.

The argument here was Ozzie not playing Manny on a day arguably Manny didn't want to play anyway. Nobody trusts Passon at all on this for some reason.

I may go overboard but on this I won't back down.

I mean it used to be in sports if you won the f***ing game (and didn't do anything as dumb as your football example) people were happy and the manager was free of criticism that day.

I can't believe some are to the point they b**** even though we won the game(s).

How can you argue this manny not playing deal? He traveled all day, did not seem real enthused about playing when Oz talked to him, we won, then he was rested for the day game and we won again? And Oz gets zero credit. Maybe you'd be happier if Oz threw him under the bus and said, "I talked to Manny and you know what? I hated the look he gave me when I asked him if he wanted to play. I now understand why Joe Torre wanted to personally drive the guy to the airport to get him the hell out of Dodger Stadium."

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 10:36 PM)
Cmon. That is a pretty radical example.

The argument here was Ozzie not playing Manny on a day arguably Manny didn't want to play anyway. Nobody trusts Passon at all on this for some reason.

I may go overboard but on this I won't back down.

I mean it used to be in sports if you won the f***ing game (and didn't do anything as dumb as your football example) people were happy and the manager was free of criticism that day.

I can't believe some are to the point they b**** even though we won the game(s).

How can you argue this manny not playing deal? He traveled all day, did not seem real enthused about playing when Oz talked to him, we won, then he was rested for the day game and we won again? And Oz gets zero credit. Maybe you'd be happier if Oz threw him under the bus and said, "I talked to Manny and you know what? I hated the look he gave me when I asked him if he wanted to play. I now understand why Joe Torre wanted to personally drive the guy to the airport to get him the hell out of Dodger Stadium."

If Manny was the only original argument then I will actually agree with you and not complain. If Manny didn't sound like he wanted to play, then f*** him, don't put him in the lineup. My issue was with the Vizquel sac bunt in the 6th down 3. That was an awful decision Ozzie made, that could have had an effect on costing Sox the game. The Sox won despite that move.

My main point was that managers still make bad moves in wins, and they still deserve to get second guessed, especially when every single game is that important. I will also say that if a manager puts a player in the right position and the player fails, then the manager should get no blame either.

How can you argue this manny not playing deal? He traveled all day, did not seem real enthused about playing when Oz talked to him, we won, then he was rested for the day game and we won again? And Oz gets zero credit.

"Oz gets zero credit?" What's he supposed to get credit for exactly? Credit for us winning a game just because Manny didn't play? Every win doesn't mean the manager should be credited or discredited. Every win isn't attributed directly to the manager.

Seriously, the lack of logic in your posts just baffles me.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 3, 2010 -> 04:01 AM)
If Manny was the only original argument then I will actually agree with you and not complain. If Manny didn't sound like he wanted to play, then f*** him, don't put him in the lineup. My issue was with the Vizquel sac bunt in the 6th down 3. That was an awful decision Ozzie made, that could have had an effect on costing Sox the game. The Sox won despite that move.

My main point was that managers still make bad moves in wins, and they still deserve to get second guessed, especially when every single game is that important. I will also say that if a manager puts a player in the right position and the player fails, then the manager should get no blame either.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 3, 2010 -> 04:30 AM)
That's the beauty of the block option.

Please explain that bunt situation to me. I only saw it referenced earlier where somebody said Vizquel was bunting for a hit. I really want the 100 percent facts on this because it would be odd to me if Oz bunted down three. Seriously, was he bunting for a hit or not? Maybe some others can chime in as well. And did he eventually get the bunt down? What happened? The only argument I've been defending here is the Manny crap. I need the other situation depicted. A bunt down 3 in the sixth would obviously be the wrong move.

I'f diffrent from Milkman. I seek all opinions and usually learn things on here about baseball if not daily, several times a week. I am not close minded like Milk may be.

Edited by greg775

I'f diffrent from Milkman. I seek all opinions and usually learn things on here about baseball if not daily, several times a week. I am not close minded like Milk may be.

There's a difference between being close-minded and being logical, dude.

It's quite obvious that the team believes more in themselves with Manny. Gordon Beckham on 670 said "it just makes our lineup better, I couldn't care less about his hair... he could put it in a pony tail or a bun, we just want him out there. He's great."

Manny is the s***, Gordon is the s***. Let's f***ing do this s***.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 3, 2010 -> 08:33 AM)
It's quite obvious that the team believes more in themselves with Manny. Gordon Beckham on 670 said "it just makes our lineup better, I couldn't care less about his hair... he could put it in a pony tail or a bun, we just want him out there. He's great."

Manny is the s***, Gordon is the s***. Let's f***ing do this s***.

Thank goodness Kenny finally didn't listen to the likes of Paulie and others who always say the current roster is good enough. And I guarantee you the team will look better than usual against the Twins when we face them.

I love this franchise. Right now Monster99 is being interviewed on Mully and Hanley about Manny's impending haircut.

I f***ing love this franchise.

Dude just said he got started on David Ortiz, and introduced himself by saying "Ey uhh Beeg Papi I'ma here to cut yo beard."

Edited by Steve9347