2010-11 Offseason

shago

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 06:21 AM)
I wonder what the Sox will do about the outfield. Pierre and Rios will almost for sure be back, but RF is the question mark. I don't want to see Quentin struggling out there again, and Jones can't play every day. And as far as I know, we don't have a prospect ready to step in.

Jayson Werth is a FA, i know it's a pipe dream but you resign Paulie, put Quentin at DH and Werth in RF, albeit this is a very RH lineup, needs a big LH bat in the middle, Dunn ?

Edited by justBLAZE

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 06:40 AM)
Jayson Werth is a FA, i know it's a pipe dream but you resign Paulie, put Quentin at DH and Werth in RF, albeit this is a very RH lineup, needs a big LH bat in the middle, Dunn ?

Dunn would be nice, and I'm not sure his re-signing in Washington is as probable anymore. But, he's going to want to play the field, and that would mean not re-signing Konerko (unless Konerko agrees to DH). Then what do you do with Quentin?

I think RF, C, and 1B are the biggest question marks for next year. 3B is somewhat up in the air, but I wonder if Morel will be ready...or do they stick with Teahen (gasp) or Viciedo? As far as our big question marks, I think only one of those positions will be big money. Konerko ($10 million) or Dunn ($15+ million) at 1B, VMart ($10 million) at C, Werth ($10 million) in RF.

On a side note, does Bill Hall really have a $9.25 million club option? Yikes.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 07:04 AM)
I wonder if St Louis would pick up that Pujols guy's option...

I haven't heard much about this guy, but apparently he hits a few homeruns.

At $16 million, the Cards would be silly not to exercise the option. I would think it's a no-brainer.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 08:13 AM)
I haven't heard much about this guy, but apparently he hits a few homeruns.

At $16 million, the Cards would be silly not to exercise the option. I would think it's a no-brainer.

If they don't offer him something like a 6 year - $150 mil deal in the offseason, they'll regret it.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 08:16 AM)
If they don't offer him something like a 6 year - $150 mil deal in the offseason, they'll regret it.

If I were albert...I wouldn't sign that. I'd wait til the next offseason and try to double that. As long as I don't suffer a career ending injury, I probably will.

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Sep 13, 2010 -> 01:36 PM)
Aramis Ramirez (33) - $14.6MM player option

There have been recent rumors that Aramis is thinking about declining the option and become a free agent. With the season he is having, he would be a complete moron to do that. He would better off exercising it and hoping for a Beltre-like resurgence in 2011.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 09:03 AM)
There have been recent rumors that Aramis is thinking about declining the option and become a free agent. With the season he is having, he would be a complete moron to do that. He would better off exercising it and hoping for a Beltre-like resurgence in 2011.

Yeah, if he became a free agent, he's not going to get more than that per year. Maybe he wants a multi-year deal, but he won't touch $14 million per.

If he did become a free agent, think the Sox would have any interest?

Edited by pittshoganerkoff

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 10:32 AM)
At Aramis' age, he needs to grab that last giant contract of his career. I can see why he's considering free agency. The Cubs are going nowhere fast.

The thing is...I bet that the only team that'd be genuinely willing to give him a big enough long-term deal to make it worth opting out of $15 mil next year is the Cubs. And I'm not sure they're not going to be in payroll cutting mode now that the new ownership has the books.

I know I wouldn't want the Sox giving him 3/$40.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 10:34 AM)
The thing is...I bet that the only team that'd be genuinely willing to give him a big enough long-term deal to make it worth opting out of $15 mil next year is the Cubs. And I'm not sure they're not going to be in payroll cutting mode now that the new ownership has the books.

If that's true, then he should take the option and ask for a midseason trade.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 10:35 AM)
If that's true, then he should take the option and ask for a midseason trade.

The other thing he can do...if he can stay healthy...play out the season in Wrigley. It's still one of the best hitters parks in the game unless the wind blows hard in the whole season. It's going to pad a lot of his stats.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 09:34 AM)

I know I wouldn't want the Sox giving him 3/$40.

Me either. Not with that bum shoulder that seems like it could pop back out of place on every swing. I'd much rather have Beltre. I know it won't happen though.

Edited by Chet Kincaid

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 04:52 PM)
Depends on what I'm doing with the other $75 million.

of course, if it were the white sox, it would be a bad fit, because we are known as a slot drafting team, drafting on a $4 mil budget, and we are not a big spender in Latin America. We have a bad farm system, and does not regularly develop young prospects to play in the Major league level

But for a team like the Rangers, Rockies, Braves, Rays, even the Twins and Red Sox, who has very good farm systems, I can sign Pujols for $25 million, and still fill a very talented team with young players and guys in the Pre- arb years, with a 90-100 million budget.