twinkies @ White Sox, WCIU, 7:10 CST

justBLAZE

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 08:39 PM)
Danks is at best a #3 and you've got two #4 types in Floyd and Buehrle. And there's tons of questions surrounding Peavy.

You make it sound like Danks is a bad #3. He's a solid AL 3. And Floyd is arguably the better pitcher. But yeah, they have a lot of middle-of-the-rotation guys.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 01:46 AM)
Well Danks hasn't signed an extension and is going to be costly. Buerhle is basically untradeable at this point. Edwin is a boras client, so enjoy next year and thats it. Our rotation is going to turn itself over in the next few years one way or another. Thankfully Kenny decided to go for it and dump one of our best pitching prospects.

More like "our only pitching prospect"

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 02:46 AM)
I know I'm the most Anti-Ozzie guy on here, but is there still any real doubt that there needs to be a shake up with the KW/Ozzie/Walker/Cooper foursome? I can't imagine even the most optimstic/Ozzie supporters would disagree.

I would disagree. Why the f*** would we fire Ozzie over this?

Never would have predicted a Twins-White Sox game thread for this series would be at only seven pages long one month ago.

We made up 14 games, and now we've lost almost all of them back, only 1 1/2 game differential from where we were at the "low" point of the season when we were 9 games under .500 and 9 1/2 back.

Of course, our overall record will be pretty decent...85-86-87 wins, but nothing to write home about. We're back in that position in September where we might as well lose games and get a higher draft pick next year, because the attendance from here on out is going to be abysmal, except for the Red Sox fans that might show up at the end of the season (undoubtedly, they'll be out of the WC race, so even that will be a pick-up of only 3-5,000 fans).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 08:46 PM)
I know I'm the most Anti-Ozzie guy on here, but is there still any real doubt that there needs to be a shake up with the KW/Ozzie/Walker/Cooper foursome? I can't imagine even the most optimstic/Ozzie supporters would disagree.

I like cooper but I am ready to clean the entire house out. The only one I want to definately keep is Hahn. That entire group that was in the room with Kenny during the Hudson trade on the Club can go as well.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 08:47 PM)
You make it sound like Danks is a bad #3. He's a solid AL 3. And Floyd is arguably the better pitcher. But yeah, they have a lot of middle-of-the-rotation guys.

He's not bad at all. It just seems like he's hit his ceiling. But the problem is it seems as if he wants to get paid like a #1 or #2. He's not even a top 5 left-handed, let a lone top 15-20 or so pitcher overall, in baseball.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 08:49 PM)
I like cooper but I am ready to clean the entire house out. The only one I want to definately keep is Hahn. That entire group that was in the room with Kenny during the Hudson trade on the Club can go as well.

When is that one airing again? I'd like to see what was said.

LOL I hear ya about the Red Sox games. I was thinking of taking one in just to get in a few more Sox games before the season ends... :( ... but I fear that at those games there'll be more Red Sox than White Sox fans.

I recall a game like that in 2007...

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 08:47 PM)
I would disagree. Why the f*** would we fire Ozzie over this?

I forgot, he was here in 2005. Maybe we can get Willie Harris, Timo Perez, the legend of Aaron Rowand and get the band back together.

Take a look at his second half record since he has been here. If his name was Manuel, he would of been gone already. But because he was on the 05 team you have shrine built to him. This reminds me of Bears fans not letting go of the 85 team. Eventually you can't ride on that crap forever. Build him a statue, and move on.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 01:49 AM)

Now that you saw the episode I saw, how about that freaking dumbass who said "acquiring a lefty hitter isn't important because in the playoffs, we'll face a lot of lefty pitchers". I hope that person never works another day in baseball.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 08:50 PM)
He's not bad at all. It just seems like he's hit his ceiling. But the problem is it seems as if he wants to get paid like a #1 or #2. He's not even a top 5 left-handed, let a lone top 15-20 or so pitcher overall, in baseball.

and keep from doing Javy Vasquez impressions when facing the Twins..more big game instead of big lame

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 08:50 PM)
Because people think this is the worst season ever and it's all Ozzie and Kotsay's fault.

Well Ozzie was the one who wanted to play NL style in his personal 2003 wayback machine. Too bad we play in the AL and have a position called Designated Hitter that he decided to put a few bench players in. But hey, our players are well rested for October tee time.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 08:50 PM)
Gavin's ERA going to be over 4 now...but yeah, safe to say Twins starting pitching is just a little better than ours.

Not according to Rongey.

How many times have we said this season would go down to the final series of the year?

Doesn't look like it's going to happen in 2010.

The thing is, even with Hudson instead of Jackson, our rotation wouldn't be unbeatable because our offense in 2011 is going to struggle mightily. We spent the past offseason worrying about that element of the club, and things are going to look more dire now, because resigning Konerko at elevated dollar figures based on 2010 is a recipe for disaster...OTOH, it seems impossible to imagine bringing in another bat to replicate Konerko's stats this year.

And Hudson in the rotation frees up $8 million or so for that aforementioned bat. Still, if they can spend $3.8 million on a worthless Manny Ramirez, they SHOULD be able to spend SOME money. But I don't see any easy solution to get out of this mess...we're boxed in by the Twins and the probability of the Tigers having a much-improved club next year if they spend even $30-40 million in new contracts to replace the $60 million of contracts coming off the books. With Cabrera, you don't need many pieces to build an offense around him, and Austin Jackson looks like a keeper.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 01:56 AM)
Well Ozzie was the one who wanted to play NL style in his personal 2003 wayback machine. Too bad we play in the AL and have a position called Designated Hitter that he decided to put a few bench players in. But hey, our players are well rested for October tee time.

I really do love the fact we dominated against NL team again this season, but were very mediocre against AL teams. Self-fulfilling prophecies seem to come true so often with the Sox.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 08:55 PM)
I don't know why. Preseason predictions had this team finishing 3rd or 4th.

Well pre-season predictions mean s*** when you are in first place after the ASB. Its one thing to play good fundamental hard nosed solid baseball and lose. Its another thing to get taken to the woodshed by the crap in the AL and then bend over for our annual Twins slam.