twinkies @ White Sox, WCIU, 7:10 CST

justBLAZE

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 09:08 PM)
The team was built poorly. They were built on the idea that we could recreate the 2005 pitching staff and be lights out and win 3-2 games all year long. This is not the NL. We play in the American League and in a stadium that plays like a bandbox in the summer. We took a valuable position and put two bench players and made it into a mess. Its the typical Ozzie formula, take a crappy player that should be the last man on the bench and overuse him. The first two months when we had a horrible horrible offense might of been mitigated a bit if we say actually had 9 hitters up there instead of 8 and a pitcher.

Nice try.

The pitching sucked. When that sucks along with defense (2 years in a row, starting 3rd baseman loses job)nothing can overcome that.

Next.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 09:08 PM)
The team was built poorly. They were built on the idea that we could recreate the 2005 pitching staff and be lights out and win 3-2 games all year long. This is not the NL. We play in the American League and in a stadium that plays like a bandbox in the summer. We took a valuable position and put two bench players and made it into a mess. Its the typical Ozzie formula, take a crappy player that should be the last man on the bench and overuse him. The first two months when we had a horrible horrible offense might of been mitigated a bit if we say actually had 9 hitters up there instead of 8 and a pitcher.

And yet we had our surge in June and July, two of the hottest months when the park played smallest and we hit a lot of homers.

The offensive numbers, overall, aren't terrible at all, and probably better than most of us predicted.

It has been the bullpen and more recently again the starting pitching that has really been the reason for our downfall...along with a tougher schedule and the fact that the Twins have been playing out of their minds without Morneau for the second year in a row down the final stretch.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 02:51 AM)
I forgot, he was here in 2005. Maybe we can get Willie Harris, Timo Perez, the legend of Aaron Rowand and get the band back together.

Take a look at his second half record since he has been here. If his name was Manuel, he would of been gone already. But because he was on the 05 team you have shrine built to him. This reminds me of Bears fans not letting go of the 85 team. Eventually you can't ride on that crap forever. Build him a statue, and move on.

I love the fact he led us to the WS title, but he's done nothing this season to deserve the axe. Nothing.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 09:12 PM)
And yet we had our surge in June and July, two of the hottest months when the park played smallest and we hit a lot of homers.

The offensive numbers, overall, aren't terrible at all, and probably better than most of us predicted.

It has been the bullpen and more recently again the starting pitching that has really been the reason for our downfall...along with a tougher schedule and the fact that the Twins have been playing out of their minds without Morneau for the second year in a row down the final stretch.

Do tell. Some are blind to this while hugging their favorite scapegoats.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 09:11 PM)
Nice try.

The pitching sucked. When that sucks along with defense (2 years in a row, starting 3rd baseman loses job)nothing can overcome that.

Next.

When we've had Vizquel at 3B and Andruw Jones in RF, it has been the best White Sox defensive alignment since the late 50's/early 60's ballclubs with Aparicio and Nellie Fox.

Actually, most of the time, although the Twins are first in fielding percentage, the White Sox have actually been the better overall defense because 75% of the Sox errors have come in bunches and Kubel, Cuddyer and Delmon Young are all horrible whenever they attempt to play defense (except against us).

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 09:13 PM)
I love the fact he led us to the WS title, but he's done nothing this season to deserve the axe. Nothing.

Shhh...you sound rational. It's all Ozzie's fault. Repeat 3 times.

(It's all Ozzie's fault.)

Then repeat 5 times...

(It's all Kotsay's fault.)

Then you'll start to fit in.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 09:11 PM)
Nice try.

Next.

Well scoring only 92 runs in April might of had a slight hand in some of our losses.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 09:18 PM)
Shhh...you sound rational. It's all Ozzie's fault. Repeat 3 times.

Then repeat 5 times...

Then you'll start to fit in.

LOL it certainly isn't all Kotsay's fault or all Ozzie's fault but if you can't acknowledge that choosing Kotsay over Thome is one of the dumbest personnel moves in recent memory and the rotating DH idea is f***ing stupid and cost us several games this year then I don't know what to say.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 09:27 PM)
Just looking at the Twins lineup, if Morneau can return healthy next season, there's no reason they cannot win 95-100 games again. Just absurd depth throughout with a few superstars around them.

Maybe Ozzie should float the memo over to Gardy and hope he DH's Punto like we did this year. That might help our odds.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 09:20 PM)
Well scoring only 92 runs in April might of had a slight hand in some of our losses.

Yep, but pitching and D was bad. The pen was the only group that showed up.

I'm beginning to believe getting guys from the NL will not improve an AL team overnight. They have to make a big adjustment to facing pitchers they're not familiar with. A NL pitcher like Peavy is not use to facing a league where one division will have more hitters than the entire NL. While Jackson blows that theory, Hudson looks really good pitching in the NL.

Maybe Kenny should stay away from getting NL players and the Royals.

QUOTE (daggins @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 08:36 PM)
Just want to chime in that although I don't usually buy into a lot of intangibles talk, it's really frustrating to see a good team wet their pants so bad against any rival, let alone a divisional one.

Main reason i'd call for major changes this offseason... Twins are in these guys heads. I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it every game of every series with Minny.

Most accurate post in this thread.

Changes need to be made, because we need to get guys in here who haven't been mindf***ed by the Twins franchise. That definitely means Ozzie Guillen has to go, and I wouldn't shed a tear if AJ was gone as well as Danks/Floyd. Neither of those guys can come up big for us anymore when we need them, bed wetters.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 08:31 PM)

I'm beginning to believe getting guys from the NL will not improve an AL team overnight. They have to make a big adjustment to facing pitchers they're not familiar with. A NL pitcher like Peavy is not use to facing a league where one division will have more hitters than the entire NL. While Jackson blows that theory, Hudson looks really good pitching in the NL.

Or trading prospects for expensive contracts. How bout the Sox hit free agency and not overpay in prospects or waiver wires (MANNY, 4 mil for 10 singles)

why do all you guys keep putting yourself through all this torture for f*** sakes?!? Go curl up with yer honey...go down the the local bar and shoot some pool or play darts. Hell...if it makes you feel better...go kick the s*** outta the neighbors yippy-ass poodle. You gluttons for punishment!

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 02:31 AM)

Adjusting to the NL didn't cause Peavy to throw 89 mph fastballs and flat sliders.