twinkies @ White Sox, WCIU, 7:10 CST

justBLAZE

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 01:58 AM)
no. I look forward to their early playoff exit. :)

People say this so often about the Twins, it's like it's a defense mechanism. I don't care how they do in the postseason, because if they take our spot in the postseason, then that's all that matters to me.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 08:58 PM)
no. I look forward to their early playoff exit. :)

I hate the yearly sour grapes touting well at least they will lose the first round. Guess what, you know what happens when you get into the playoffs you have a chance to win the world series. You know what 2nd place gets a chance to, clear out their lockers and work on their short game.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 08:59 PM)
Well pre-season predictions mean s*** when you are in first place after the ASB. Its one thing to play good fundamental hard nosed solid baseball and lose. Its another thing to get taken to the woodshed by the crap in the AL and then bend over for our annual Twins slam.

The last two years, of all the teams leading their divisions at the All-Star break, I think it was only the Tigers in 2009 and the D-Backs in 2008 who didn't make the playoffs (10/12 teams eventually made it or at least got the Wild Card).

Add the White Sox to the casualty list.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 08:56 PM)
Well Ozzie was the one who wanted to play NL style in his personal 2003 wayback machine. Too bad we play in the AL and have a position called Designated Hitter that he decided to put a few bench players in. But hey, our players are well rested for October tee time.

You can't blame the season on lack of a DH. This team was built on pitching and has been the most disappointing group. There's no DH on the planet that can over come that.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 09:02 PM)
The last two years, of all the teams leading their divisions at the All-Star break, I think it was only the Tigers in 2009 and the D-Backs in 2008 who didn't make the playoffs (10/12 teams eventually made it or at least got the Wild Card).

Add the White Sox to the casualty list.

Weren't the Tigers leading also in 2006?

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 08:44 PM)
That Sox righty hitters have one hit to left field all day, and that if you keep trying to pull the ball vs Duensing, you're going to have no chance.

The Twins have used the same scouting report on our right-handed hitters for 8 years. If you're left-handed, low and away with off-speed pitches. Our guys have actually had a decent approach this year, but we just can't seem to get it together against Minnesota. I think we press big-time, and that equals trying to pull. Tough to watch.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 02:02 AM)
You can't blame the season on lack of a DH. This team was built on pitching and has been the most disappointing group. There's no DH on the planet that can over come that.

You don't know that. If we got off to a better start this year, especially offensively. we would have had a lot more breathing room. Don't forget Kotsay's horrible ability to hit with RISP and the rally killing that resulted.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 09:05 PM)
You don't know that. If we got off to a better start this year, especially offensively. we would have had a lot more breathing room. Don't forget Kotsay's horrible ability to hit with RISP and the rally killing that resulted.

Wrong again. Next.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 09:05 PM)

It would have helped if Pierre and Ramirez hit in the first two months as well...

Just so many things you can point to, AJ's hitting pretty much all season, Beckham being last in the majors in OPS about 3 months ago, Quentin's complete inability to hit on the road, the list goes on and on. Pierre and Kotsay were egregiously horrible with RISP during that timeframe.

And yet you can trace a lot of the problems to starting pitching (with the exception of Garcia) the first two months and the bullpen struggles over the last two months.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 09:02 PM)

The team was built poorly. They were built on the idea that we could recreate the 2005 pitching staff and be lights out and win 3-2 games all year long. This is not the NL. We play in the American League and in a stadium that plays like a bandbox in the summer. We took a valuable position and put two bench players and made it into a mess. Its the typical Ozzie formula, take a crappy player that should be the last man on the bench and overuse him. The first two months when we had a horrible horrible offense might of been mitigated a bit if we say actually had 9 hitters up there instead of 8 and a pitcher.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 09:05 PM)
Yeah, the Tigers were chased down both times by the Twins, but I was talking about the 2008 and 2009 seasons specifically.

The weird thing is that most Tigers fans consider the White Sox to be their biggest rivalry, and yet the Twins have been the much better club.

Probably because the Sox have owned them from time to time.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 09:05 PM)
Yeah, the Tigers were chased down both times by the Twins, but I was talking about the 2008 and 2009 seasons specifically.

The weird thing is that most Tigers fans consider the White Sox to be their biggest rivalry, and yet the Twins have been the much better club.

It's because no one cares about the Twins. Seriously.

Edited by Friend of Nordhagen

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 09:07 PM)
Wrong again. Next.

Thome has been worth at least a couple of wins to the Twins and would have been worth a couple of wins to the Sox. Would that have been enough to make the playoffs? Who knows but the Sox would be much closer than they are right now. Instead Ozzie, because he is a dumbass and wants to play like the 03 decides that it would be ok to put a s***ty hitter in the DH spot so players can get more rest not realizing that just because you have a DH doesn't mean he has to play every day.