twinkies @ White Sox, WCIU, 7:10 CST

justBLAZE

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 09:27 PM)
Just looking at the Twins lineup, if Morneau can return healthy next season, there's no reason they cannot win 95-100 games again. Just absurd depth throughout with a few superstars around them.

There pitching needs to improve along with it. They've got some money now for next season. A good farm and a few bucks will make them tough to beat.

I still think they will be one and done if their first opponent is the Yankees.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 09:27 PM)
Just looking at the Twins lineup, if Morneau can return healthy next season, there's no reason they cannot win 95-100 games again. Just absurd depth throughout with a few superstars around them.

I'm predicting a Tigers/Twins tandem at the top of the division at the end of 2011. Sox will be a 3rd place team. Will be decent, maybe 87 or 88 wins, but the Tigers and Twins are way beyond us looking forward.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 02:34 AM)
There pitching needs to improve along with it. They've got some money now for next season. A good farm and a few bucks will make them tough to beat.

I still think they will be one and done if their first opponent is the Yankees.

What's wrong with their pitching?

QUOTE (Real @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 09:35 PM)
I'm predicting a Tigers/Twins tandem at the top of the division at the end of 2011. Sox will be a 3rd place team. Will be decent, maybe 87 or 88 wins, but the Tigers and Twins are way beyond us looking forward.

I think the Tigers are always good at underachievement.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 09:31 PM)
Yep, but pitching and D was bad. The pen was the only group that showed up.

I'm beginning to believe getting guys from the NL will not improve an AL team overnight. They have to make a big adjustment to facing pitchers they're not familiar with. A NL pitcher like Peavy is not use to facing a league where one division will have more hitters than the entire NL. While Jackson blows that theory, Hudson looks really good pitching in the NL.

Maybe Kenny should stay away from getting NL players and the Royals.

I am of the opinion that locating and aquiring every member of the 1990's Cleveland Indians for their farewell tour isn't a great way to build a consistant winner. Also picking up your random sox killer is a bad idea when they suck against everyone else. Giving long term extensions to medicore players is bad.

If you want to keep Ozzie fine. Just ozzie proof the lineup. No crappy left handed hitters that Ozzie can over expose. Then hire an experienced bench coach that can call Ozzie's BS. Then for the love of god don't listen to the man on personnel decisions. He is in some sort of alternate universe where we are in the National League and we are the florida marlins.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 09:36 PM)
What's wrong with their pitching?

Liriano > ?? > ?? > ?? for the playoffs, against the Yankees who are, let's be honest, in the Twins heads just as much as the Twins are in the Sox heads. The Yankees don't have a great rotation either, but they have a ridiculous lineup and an average bullpen and an ace closer.

Nick Blackburn and Carl Pavano would be destroyed by the Yankees. Imagine if Pavano had to start a game at NYS, hahaha. It'd be like Gavin pitching with a runner on base, the horror.

QUOTE (Real @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 03:39 AM)
Liriano > ?? > ?? > ?? for the playoffs, against the Yankees who are, let's be honest, in the Twins heads just as much as the Twins are in the Sox heads. The Yankees don't have a great rotation either, but they have a ridiculous lineup and an average bullpen and an ace closer.

Nick Blackburn and Carl Pavano would be destroyed by the Yankees. Imagine if Pavano had to start a game at NYS, hahaha. It'd be like Gavin pitching with a runner on base, the horror.

Duensing should be up for Cy Young votes based on his amazing contributions this season (not really, but it's hard to argue with his productivity). Something they were talking about on the radio the other day is how the Twins are going to be a hot spot for FA pitchers, as everyone would love to pitch half their games in that cavernous park.

I think it all depends on Duensing.

If he can take some of their LH hitters out of play and somehow beat the Yankees, the Twins have a 50/50 chance to beat the Yankees.

It's really hard to pick just three starters...they can set up for the playoffs early, or decide to go with Baker/Slowey/Blackburn as the 4th. Blackburn, since being recalled from AAA, has probably pitched the best of those 3 guys at the back end of the rotation, although Duensing has faltered a little bit as well.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 09:37 PM)
I am of the opinion that locating and aquiring every member of the 1990's Cleveland Indians for their farewell tour isn't a great way to build a consistant winner. Also picking up your random sox killer is a bad idea when they suck against everyone else. Giving long term extensions to medicore players is bad.

If you want to keep Ozzie fine. Just ozzie proof the lineup. No crappy left handed hitters that Ozzie can over expose. Then hire an experienced bench coach that can call Ozzie's BS. Then for the love of god don't listen to the man on personnel decisions. He is in some sort of alternate universe where we are in the National League and we are the florida marlins.

Teahan is still a Sox killer.

Tori Hunter will be the next guy Kenny get's because he always wanted him..say in 5 years.

This team got older with the recent off season acquisitions. I thought this team back then would closer to losing 90 than winning 90.

Kenny built this team not Ozzie. Above Kenny is JR who can say no when shelling out money.

I woudl have to say the biggest surprise of the season is how well Omar is playing at his age.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 09:41 PM)
Duensing should be up for Cy Young votes based on his amazing contributions this season (not really, but it's hard to argue with his productivity). Something they were talking about on the radio the other day is how the Twins are going to be a hot spot for FA pitchers, as everyone would love to pitch half their games in that cavernous park.

I still think players follow the money. I can't see any pitcher wanting to be there in April and parts of May. I think a lot of players will miss that dome when it's Oct.

Edited by kitekrazy

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 08:41 PM)

And that's the scary thing...they're six pitchers deep right now, and that's not even including the likes of Perkins and Swarzak.

Kyle Gibson has the ability on paper to be a 1/2, frontline starter in the Garza mode.

We actually might have to trade away one of our four starters due to payroll concerns...we probably don't bring Garcia back (unless Ozzie's still manager) and who knows what we'll get out of Peavy.

In 2012/13, things are looking even more bleak. The only thing that will save the White Sox is Sale becoming an ace, and the odds of that lasting (and we don't know how his velocity and mechanics would hold up over 175-225 IP) for 6 years isn't that great on the surface, either.

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 02:09 AM)
It's because no one cares about the Twins. Seriously.

QUOTE (Real @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 02:32 AM)
Most accurate post in this thread.

Changes need to be made, because we need to get guys in here who haven't been mindf***ed by the Twins franchise. That definitely means Ozzie Guillen has to go, and I wouldn't shed a tear if AJ was gone as well as Danks/Floyd. Neither of those guys can come up big for us anymore when we need them, bed wetters.

Post 1: Exactly, that's why I want Twins to win it all. Maybe then people will get up to play them.

Ozzie Guillen does not need to go. The team was "in the race" sort of until late August and has a winning record. Why the f*** would you fire him considering his track record?

Change his job to manager, not GM anymore.

Give him the players and have him work with them.

The Twins I do agree will be heavy favorites to win the division by at least as many games next year as they are this year. They are up 9 after tomorrow and will win the division by double digits. Wow.

Time to improve the team, KW.

Edited by greg775

vs Twins since Ozzie took over:

04 9-10

05 11-7

06 9-10

07 9-9

08 8-10

09 6-12

10 5-12

The last two years have been awful, but before that it's been more about timing than the final record. They own us in September.

Edited by flavum

We're never going to win the division until we can at least to return to the .500 days against Minnesota.

It also would help if teams like KC could play Minnie at least as tough as they play us.

Until then ... we lose the division to those bastards every single year.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 10:06 PM)
I am getting so tired of the Twins kicking our ass year in and year out. I know everyone agrees, but I just had to say it. Every f***ing year.

I have no problem with it as long as if the Sox were to have a comfortable 1st place lead. It not impossible to have a losing record to a divisional team and still win the division. They just need to win as many games possible for the Twins to be a non factor. With the exception of 2005 they fail in this consistently.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 10:12 PM)
vs Twins since Ozzie took over:

04 9-10

05 11-7

06 9-10

07 9-9

08 8-10

09 6-12

10 5-12

The last two years have been awful, but before that it's been more about timing than the final record. They own us in September.

Go to the turn of the century it's no different. Manager has nothing to do with it.

03 9-10

02 8-11

01 5-14

00 7-5

If you want to go back before that the only time the Sox got the better of the Twins was when the Sox had losing records.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 10:30 PM)
Go to the turn of the century it's no different. Manager has nothing to do with it.

03 9-10

02 8-11

01 5-14

00 7-5

If you want to go back before that the only time the Sox got the better of the Twins was when the Sox had losing records.

Must be magic then.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 10:28 PM)
He did the same thing in 07 trotting Pods out there over kids.

Maybe he wants to protect the kids from choking baseball the Sox have put on of late. Plus keep playing the guys that started may further help in personnel decisions for next season.

The kids are going to be there for awhile unless Kenny trades them away.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 09:38 PM)
Have I said how much I hate Ozzie lately?

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/...s-can-wait.html

I honestly hope JR grows some balls for once and steps in. I don't think Ozzie will listen to Kenny. That is ridiculous. Whats he trying to prove? Pretty much everyone mins the WC teams will clinch so he doesn't have the "pride" excuse anymore. What he wants his managing record to look good this year? It's really pathetic.