If the Sox don't re-sign Konerko...

macsandz

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 03:57 PM)
what are you trying to prove here? that he is not being hated by fans outside of New York? if you have to rate the best players in decade 2000, where would he rank?

He is what he is, but for the player that he is, he got more credit than he deserves, the GG awards are perfect examples. he received more media attention than he deserved because he plays for the yankees. and you don't even want to mention his contract, no way does he deserves to be the second highest paid player in baseball.

Sure there are fans who think he is a great player and remember him for his clutch and signature moments, but it's a fact that many fans do hate him or at least dislike him because he is overrated and way overpaid

p.s. isn't he the one who gave Jessica Alba herpes?

I'm not arguing that he's hated. I'm arguing that the reasoning for hating him is just flat-out stupid.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 04:02 PM)
Yikes. When the hell did this happen?

I think 3 years ago. It was a big rumor for a while (I think it came out of Alba's mouth herself). *I'll leave that for the "pun" posters* Google it.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 04:05 PM)
I think 3 years ago. It was a big rumor for a while (I think it came out of Alba's mouth herself). *I'll leave that for the "pun" posters* Google it.

I've just learned that Jeter has boned Vanessa Minnillo and Jessica Biel. I have even more respect for him now.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 08:00 PM)
I'm surprised that AJ is listed as a Type A free agent, not sure how that will affect our offseason plans. I'm sure he will not be offered arbitration though.

Can you explain this?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 08:39 AM)
So the reason Jenks blew a 3-run lead in Minnesota is because he respects the Twins and doesnt hate them? And Matt Thornton wouldn't have grooved a pitch to Thome in the 10th if he just held a little more anger towards him & the Twins. Maybe then instead of working with Gavin on how to pitch more consistently, we should spend time every day making him dislike the Twins more and more, then he won't s*** the bed against them 3 teams in a month.

As intense as the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry is, I really don't think the players hate each other, and I'm sure there is a lot of mutual respect between the two teams. Let's not forget that those are two of the most talented teams in the league year in and year out, so every year they are competing to be the best in a super tough division or they are playing in the playoffs, which increases the intensity of every matchup.

Maybe if the Twins didn't feel as if the Sox would lay down for them all the time, they would have had less confidence and not destroyed Jenks, or Thome may have gotten under the Thornton pitch and popped it up. Who knows? I do know the attitude the Sox take when playing this team in recent years isn't working and isn't going to ever work.

The Red Sox and Yankees might not hate each other all the time, but when they are playing each other, they hate the opposition. The Sox were 5-13 against Minnesota this year. They are brutal against them every year. Do the Twins have that much more talent? There is more hate on this board for Minnesota than there is at USCF. The next non compliment you hear out of the home clubhouse at USCF concerning them will be the first in a long while. Torii Hunter went way out of his way to cheapshot a White Sox catcher. Our manager praised his style of play. Delmon Young goes out of his way to hit a White Sox catcher in the face. What happens to him? There were numerous HBP, and I understand not all of them, if any were on purpose, but you must send a message. If you dare pitch in on a White Sox hitter and make a mistake and hit him, its going to cost one of your teammates a lot of pain. The Sox finally did something when their captain was plunked in the face. They gave a Twin an 82 MPH fastball to the bicep. Not one disparaging comment, nothing. The Twins owned the White Sox, even when the Sox had more talent. They will continue to own them until the White Sox change their attitude.

You can say the Twins were a better team and the 5-13 mark would indicate that, but then how could you explain the Sox having a better record the other 144 games? They are psyched out. As it turned out, if the Sox, and this is taking a lot of crap for granted after the race was decided, were 8-10 against Minnesota and everything else remained the same, there would have been a game 163 again.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 08:00 PM)
I'm surprised that AJ is listed as a Type A free agent, not sure how that will affect our offseason plans. I'm sure he will not be offered arbitration though.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 08:12 PM)
Can you explain this?

AJ is a Type A free agent according to the Elias Rankings, which means he would net the Sox a 1st or 2nd round compensation pick plus another compensation pick during the sandwich round, which takes place between the 1st and 2nd round IF the Sox were to offer him arbitration, he were to decline, and another team would sign him (I think the player has to sign before a certain time period for his previous team to receive compensation, but I am not positive about that or when it occurs). However, because he made ~$6.5 mill this year, and he is probably only worth $4 mill at the most on the open market, it's highly unlikely that the Sox would offer him arbitration because he would likely accept, be due anywhere from $5.5-$7.5 mill, and would either have to be traded (which would be difficult to impossible due to AJ's 10/5 no-trade clause and his price tag) or the Sox would have to pay him that amount of money. Considering his worth on the open market is about $4 mill, and he may end up signing somewhere for around $3, it would mean the Sox would be paying AJ anywhere from $1.5-4.5 million than they really desire, and his salary alone would prevent the Sox from bringing in 1-3 players that could help the Sox in 2011. As such, it's not economically wise to offer him arbitration considering the cost and benefits of doing so.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 10:58 AM)
So sad to learn that Jessica Alba has herpes. She's in my top 3.

A few questions arise now...Would you still? Would you jump into that herpe patch anyway, consequences aside? And if so, would you treat your Jeter Herpes like a signed baseball? Would you show them off to everybody...."yea picked these up from Jessica Alba. They came from Jeter so yea they're pretty rare, collectible. Check these babies out."

Oh yeah, quicker than you would believe, no rubber. As for advertising it? I'm torn but one could reasonably come to the conclusion that I'm not pristine anymore if I diddled Jessica Alba. I would certainly advertise that part of it (doing her), maybe even dropping a few bucks for some airtime during the super bowl or looking into billboards near traffic-heavy expressways around the world.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 02:38 PM)
I think the Sox go into games against the Twins with a defeatist attitude too often. I don't know how you change that. Apparently the Sox don't either.

I don't know if that mystery will be solved. It's happened under 2 managers, lots of roster changes. They idea is to win more games than the other teams in the division. You can't win a division by consistently losing to teams below 3rd place in any division.

• 2 weeks later...

If we can afford to pay Edwin that kinda money you'd think we'd make it happen to keep Konerko.

Thing is, even if Paulie drops off offensively the next 3 years, he's a human vacuum on scoops at first and doesn't have too bad of range either.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 18, 2010 -> 11:44 AM)
If we can afford to pay Edwin that kinda money you'd think we'd make it happen to keep Konerko.

Thing is, even if Paulie drops off offensively the next 3 years, he's a human vacuum on scoops at first and doesn't have too bad of range either.

No his range is pretty piss poor

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 18, 2010 -> 10:44 AM)

The worst case scenario is trying to replace him with 2 cheap guys like they did for the DH. I think he'll be on the team next year.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 18, 2010 -> 01:57 PM)
The worst case scenario is trying to replace him with 2 cheap guys like they did for the DH. I think he'll be on the team next year.

Depends on what we mean by "2 cheap guys". Viciedo, for example, will be kind of cheap next year.