2010-2011 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 14, 2011 -> 04:31 PM)
Then why bring it up? I'm sure B.J. Armstrong guarded MJ in practice plenty. Not comparing Armstrong and Pippen. But LeBron would present challenges in a playground 2 on 2 that even Jordan couldn't. Remember. No help D or doubleteams. No coaching strategy. No refs. Just pure street ball.

I wasn't conceding the point, I was making fun of your lame reply.

I'm sure if we asked someone that was around those practices, there would be some pretty good stories about the battles they had in practice. You admit Scottie was the best defensive SF in the game. How do you suppose he got that way? Umm...guarding Michael in practice every day?

This is pure speculation about two players from different eras so I'm not sure what the hell you are asking me to produce video for. We'll never know the truth.

But in two on two basketball, with one having the best two defenders on the court, and the best one-on-one player of all time, I'll take them to win the vast majority of the time. Sure, LeBron is a physical freak, but he doesn't have a complete game yet and Wade is not going to shut down Scottie defensively, especially in the post. Sure, all 4 are 4 of the best players to ever pick up a basketball, so I am sure Wade and LeBron would catch fire a few games and win, but I don't think that would happen enough to offset the defense played by Jordan and Pippen and the mismatches on offense.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 14, 2011 -> 05:37 PM)
I wasn't conceding the point, I was making fun of your lame reply.

I'm sure if we asked someone that was around those practices, there would be some pretty good stories about the battles they had in practice. You admit Scottie was the best defensive SF in the game. How do you suppose he got that way? Umm...guarding Michael in practice every day?

This is pure speculation about two players from different eras so I'm not sure what the hell you are asking me to produce video for. We'll never know the truth.

But in two on two basketball, with one having the best two defenders on the court, and the best one-on-one player of all time, I'll take them to win the vast majority of the time. Sure, LeBron is a physical freak, but he doesn't have a complete game yet and Wade is not going to shut down Scottie defensively, especially in the post. Sure, all 4 are 4 of the best players to ever pick up a basketball, so I am sure Wade and LeBron would catch fire a few games and win, but I don't think that would happen enough to offset the defense played by Jordan and Pippen and the mismatches on offense.

What is vast majority? 80% of the time? That's homer goggles to me. It'd be epic. We're not talking MJ/Pippen vs Joe Johnson and Josh Smith.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 14, 2011 -> 05:50 PM)
What is vast majority? 80% of the time? That's homer goggles to me. It'd be epic. We're not talking MJ/Pippen vs Joe Johnson and Josh Smith.

I said 75% of the time, yes.

If they put Scottie down low in the post, with Wade defending him, tell me how often he's going to stop him?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 14, 2011 -> 05:55 PM)
Since when was Scottie a great post player?

Why on earth are you claiming to be some freaking streetball expert and ask me that question? He didn't play in the post much in the NBA because they have 7 foot centers there. In a 2 on 2 game, a weak or even average defender is going to get eaten alive in the post by a bigger player, especially a player talented enough on offense to be a HoF NBA player.

Have you never watched competitve 2 on 2 or 3 on 3 tournaments? The Shoot the Bull? Scottie would back Wade down and score on dunks and easy shots. And if LeBron tried to help, you're leaving the best player in the world open. I just don't see LeBron and Wade being able to shut Jordan and Pippen down nearly as much as Jordan and Pippen would shut them down.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 14, 2011 -> 06:01 PM)
Why on earth are you claiming to be some freaking streetball expert and ask me that question? He didn't play in the post much in the NBA because they have 7 foot centers there. In a 2 on 2 game, a weak or even average defender is going to get eaten alive in the post by a bigger player, especially a player talented enough on offense to be a HoF NBA player.

Have you never watched competitve 2 on 2 or 3 on 3 tournaments? The Shoot the Bull? Scottie would back Wade down and score on dunks and easy shots. And if LeBron tried to help, you're leaving the best player in the world open. I just don't see LeBron and Wade being able to shut Jordan and Pippen down nearly as much as Jordan and Pippen would shut them down.

Penny was a better post player than Pippen. Even in a 2 on 2 he's not humiliating Wade in the post. He didn't have the footwork, strength or body control to bully Wade down-low. You're attributing this to Pippen being 2-3 inches taller. And I have seen competitive 2-2, 3 vs 3. White Men Can't Jump style. Which is exactly why I laugh when people act like it'd be no contest.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 14, 2011 -> 05:08 PM)
Penny was a better post player than Pippen. Even in a 2 on 2 he's not humiliating Wade in the post. He didn't have the footwork, strength or body control to bully Wade down-low. You're attributing this to Pippen being 2-3 inches taller. And I have seen competitive 2-2, 3 vs 3. White Men Can't Jump style. Which is exactly why I laugh when people act like it'd be no contest.

He didn't have the strength? Oh man...you don't play defense as well as Scottie played defense without being a strong mfer. Another reason Scottie didn't post much was because MJ was always posting. Pippen was MJ's major outlet when a double team came.

Another thing is Pippen is long. I think you're just wrong if you think he wouldn't just back him down, call for the ball, and hit a litany of short jumpers, layups, and dunks on Wade.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 14, 2011 -> 06:13 PM)
He didn't have the strength? Oh man...you don't play defense as well as Scottie played defense without being a strong mfer. Another reason Scottie didn't post much was because MJ was always posting. Pippen was MJ's major outlet when a double team came.

Ask Magic about the 91 finals.

Match ups interest me. Hope Noah is on Bosh, but wouldn't be surprised if he starts on Anthony and helps on penetration.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 14, 2011 -> 07:45 PM)
Who wins;

PG - Stockton

SG - Jordan

SF - Pippen

PF - Malone

C - Hakeem

PG - Rose

SG - Wade

SF - LeBron

PF - Amare

C - Howard

5 v 5 streetball

50-50 to me. I'm sure the majority of the board will take the team that has Jordan. Which is ironic, considering my user name.

Edit: Lmao@Stockton guarding Rose. My goodness that would be suicide. I just thought about it.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 14, 2011 -> 07:48 PM)
50-50 to me. I'm sure the majority of the board will take the team that has Jordan. Which is ironic, considering my user name.

Edit: Lmao@Stockton guarding Rose. My goodness that would be suicide. I just thought about it.

I see you are celebrating Miranda Cosgrove's birthday. :lolhitting

Ok, now what about regulation games.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 14, 2011 -> 08:09 PM)
I see you are celebrating Miranda Cosgrove's birthday. :lolhitting

Oh lord. :lolhitting

Jordan's team has WAY better big men. Olajuwon dealt with better big men than Howard and Amare has no hope of stopping Malone (he might get his skull caved in by a stray elbow in the first five minutes).

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 14, 2011 -> 08:54 PM)
Jordan's team has WAY better big men. Olajuwon dealt with better big men than Howard and Amare has no hope of stopping Malone (he might get his skull caved in by a stray elbow in the first five minutes).

You're probably right. It's hard for me to gauge playground hoops. Whatever. I'm done with this topic. I'm waiting for Sunday to f***ing get here. Bulls by 7 tomorrow night.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 14, 2011 -> 08:09 PM)
You're probably right. It's hard for me to gauge playground hoops. Whatever. I'm done with this topic. I'm waiting for Sunday to f***ing get here. Bulls by 7 tomorrow night.

J4L,

Who do you like better in a one on one matchup between Jordan and LeBron, best of 7 games?

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 15, 2011 -> 11:31 AM)
This series will be EPIC.

:headbang Go Bulls! Cant wait for this one to get underway. I'll be in the Chicagoland area for a game 7. My uncle has a pair of tickets for that game, lets just hope it doesnt make it that far. My prediction Chicago in 6...just a hunch