2010 World Series: Rangers vs. Giants

Brian

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 04:50 PM)
Cliff Lee should be starting tonight and than ready for a game 7. This is the World Series, Ron. You resting him for next year when he may not even be on your team?

Cliff Lee has never pitched on 3 days rest in his career.

I'd have asked him if he was up for it...and if there was any hesitation or thought, he'd pitch in game 5.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 03:56 PM)
Cliff Lee has never pitched on 3 days rest in his career.

I'd have asked him if he was up for it...and if there was any hesitation or thought, he'd pitch in game 5.

Good as time as any for his first time, don't ya think?

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 04:01 PM)
Good as time as any for his first time, don't ya think?

No, I really don't want to see how a pitcher performs on short rest when he hasn't done it in his entire career in the World Series. Some guys handle it really well, and others get the s*** knocked out of them. Washington would look really dumb if he started Lee in game 4, Lee bombs, and then you're down 3-1 with either CJ Wilson on 3 days rest or Tommy Hunter. Washington is making the right call here. If it gets to a game 7, you can use Lee out of the bullpen.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 03:50 PM)
Cliff Lee should be starting tonight and than ready for a game 7. This is the World Series, Ron. You resting him for next year when he may not even be on your team?

So then CJ Wilson & Colby Lewis will have to pitch on 3 days rest too. Perfect.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 10:11 PM)
No, I really don't want to see how a pitcher performs on short rest when he hasn't done it in his entire career in the World Series. Some guys handle it really well, and others get the s*** knocked out of them. Washington would look really dumb if he started Lee in game 4, Lee bombs, and then you're down 3-1 with either CJ Wilson on 3 days rest or Tommy Hunter. Washington is making the right call here. If it gets to a game 7, you can use Lee out of the bullpen.

Exactly. This is second guessing at its wildest. Rangers bats were dead at home nonetheless. Four runs isn't too much to overcome. Bad performance by Texas so far. Can the Rangers mount a historic comeback and win it?

Those lousy NL teams are really playing bad in yet another WS.

What I've realized really sucks about baseball is that the only way to determine who is truly the best team each year would be to have, like, best of 11 or best of 13 series for the playoffs (and honestly, that's probably not enough either, but it would be a better representation than a best of 7), and holy hell would that be drawn out and boring by the end. The ultimate goal at the end of the year is to win a World Series, but when so much of it depends on it you are hot at the right time or not and not the overall talent level on your team, it's ultimately hard to base whether a team is successful solely on them winning a World Series.

That is why White Sox fans envy the Twins. People can suggest that the White Sox are better because they have a World Series trophy and the Twins do not - and it's true and it's still awesome - but a World Series title is perhaps the least meaningful championship in all of professional sports. The Twins are constantly in the playoffs, and as a result are constantly bringing in additional revenue to their franchise.

Would you rather have the team with the best regular season winning percentage win the championship outright ala soccer leagues in Europe rather than the playoffs? Not me.

Me, I don't envy the Twins with their postseason failures...

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Nov 1, 2010 -> 11:55 AM)
Would you rather have the team with the best regular season winning percentage win the championship outright ala soccer leagues in Europe rather than the playoffs? Not me.

Me, I don't envy the Twins with their postseason failures...

I don't envy the twins either. They can have all of their meaningless playoff apperances. Nothing they've done these last decade will top 2005.