Rasmus

mmmmmbeeer

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 03:19 AM)
Per Sportsline....and props to them for making fun of Cowley :lolhitting

http://dave-andriesen.blogs.cbssports.com/...297882/25554357

Rasmus to the Sox has been out there on this board for weeks. I wrote it before and I stand by it. Any serious deal of Rasmus to the Sox starts with John Danks to St. Louis.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 07:44 PM)
There's a kicker for Buehrle if he gets traded, so it would be about $15 million next season, plus Quentin will be around $5 million and Rasmus will make peanuts. No way that deal gets done.

If Buehrle is traded anywhere, it's either going to be a contract for contract type situation (where the Sox will be able to shed anywhere from $5-10 mill) or it's going to be for peanuts. He's also a 10-5 player, so he's not going anywhere he doesn't want to go. I think the Sox float Buehrle's name around this offseason, but I don't think anything gets done.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 10:22 PM)
Rasmus to the Sox has been out there on this board for weeks. I wrote it before and I stand by it. Any serious deal of Rasmus to the Sox starts with John Danks to St. Louis.

Why would the Cardinals want to add a $7 million starting pitcher when Dave Duncan has turned around about a zillion pitchers, give or take a gillion, they have 3 very good starters in Carpenter, Wainwright, and Garcia, and they still owe Kyle Lohse a boatload of money? I'm sure the Cardinals exact plans are to sink more money into their starting rotation while trading a very talented and semi-proven outfielder who is still going to be ridiculously cheap next year.

Teams that will have a strong interest to acquire John Danks will be teams who need starting pitching. The Cincinnati Reds could be a perfect fit.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 04:16 PM)
I enjoyed the comments in the MLBTraderumors site for this Rasmus/Quentin deal. Cardinals fan suggesting that any trade for Rasmus would have to start with Beckham and Sale.

Neglecting the fact that Sale can't be traded yet, I think that's actually pretty realistic. Something like Beckham, Sale, and Morel might be realistic. Rasmus is a better player than Beckham -- his bat is better and he plays excellent defense at a premium position. Sale is an interesting talent, but he's a high injury risk and hasn't pitched many major league innings yet, so I think Beckham and Sale alone wouldn't be enough.

It's difficult to tell how much of last year's offensive output was Rasmus growing up and developing power, and how much was benefiting from good fortune. His BABIP was the highest of his professional career, over 70 points higher than last season without any significant change in batted ball percentages. For players with over 400 PAs, Rasmus was eighth-highest in BABIP, which is a bit staggering considering how few ground balls he hits. Nobody in the top 50 in BABIP has a ground ball-rate below 35% except Rasmus, who was at 32%. The amount of his fly balls which were home runs increased by over 5 percentage points compared to last season (according to HitTracker, 9 of his 23 home runs are categorized as 'just enoughs' or those barely making it over the fence). All this while his contact rate plummeted, his strikeout rate was 32% in 2010 compared to 20% the previous year.

He's still very valuable because of his pre-arb status and still quite young. But it's hard to tell exactly what type of offensive player he will develop into. Anyway, I wouldn't put together a trade package for him based on the 2010 numbers. And KW is always looking to buy low, he's rarely (if ever?) traded for someone at the professional level coming off their best season

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 10:57 PM)
Neglecting the fact that Sale can't be traded yet, I think that's actually pretty realistic. Something like Beckham, Sale, and Morel might be realistic. Rasmus is a better player than Beckham -- his bat is better and he plays excellent defense at a premium position. Sale is an interesting talent, but he's a high injury risk and hasn't pitched many major league innings yet, so I think Beckham and Sale alone wouldn't be enough.

Sale can be a PTBNL, and if Beckham, Sale, and Morel is even considered, for even a second, I want Kenny fired.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 02:07 AM)
Sale can be a PTBNL, and if Beckham, Sale, and Morel is even considered, for even a second, I want Kenny fired.

If we give up Beckham, Sale, and Morel we better be getting a top 5 player in the game, not Colby Rasmus.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 02:26 AM)
It's difficult to tell how much of last year's offensive output was Rasmus growing up and developing power, and how much was benefiting from good fortune. His BABIP was the highest of his professional career, over 70 points higher than last season without any significant change in batted ball percentages. For players with over 400 PAs, Rasmus was eighth-highest in BABIP, which is a bit staggering considering how few ground balls he hits. Nobody in the top 50 in BABIP has a ground ball-rate below 35% except Rasmus, who was at 32%. The amount of his fly balls which were home runs increased by over 5 percentage points compared to last season (according to HitTracker, 9 of his 23 home runs are categorized as 'just enoughs' or those barely making it over the fence). All this while his contact rate plummeted, his strikeout rate was 32% in 2010 compared to 20% the previous year.

He's still very valuable because of his pre-arb status and still quite young. But it's hard to tell exactly what type of offensive player he will develop into. Anyway, I wouldn't put together a trade package for him based on the 2010 numbers. And KW is always looking to buy low, he's rarely (if ever?) traded for someone at the professional level coming off their best season

Really good stuff here 3E8. It's good to see some realistic analysis of the 'return' part of the trade. Rasmus is a guy I'd like to see on the Sox, but I don't think I'd be willing to pay the price the Cardinals would ask for him.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 11:51 PM)
Teams that will have a strong interest to acquire John Danks will be teams who need starting pitching. The Cincinnati Reds could be a perfect fit.

Why? The Reds are loaded with potential starting pitchers. Volquez, Chapman, Bailey, Leake, Cueto...and that's just their young ones.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 12:19 PM)
Why? The Reds are loaded with potential starting pitchers. Volquez, Chapman, Bailey, Leake, Cueto...and that's just their young ones.

Travis Wood as well.

I'd kill to have one of Mesoraco or Grandal as a catching prospect. The Reds farm system ain't bad.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 07:44 PM)
There's a kicker for Buehrle if he gets traded, so it would be about $15 million next season, plus Quentin will be around $5 million and Rasmus will make peanuts. No way that deal gets done.

I don't believe that you're correct on this. If the Sox trade Buehrle the trade has to be approved by Buehrle as he has 10 and 5 rights. And the window for the option year to kick in if traded is gone. That 5th year was only if he was traded by July 15 of this year. It no longer applies. That is what I can remember about his contract. If someone knows how to check this for sure it would be appreciated.

Edited by balfanman

QUOTE (balfanman @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 09:00 PM)
I don't believe that your correct on this. If the Sox trade Buehrle the trade has to be approved by Buehrle as he has 10 and 5 rights. And the window for the option year to kick in if traded is gone. That 5th year was only if he was traded by July 15 of this year. It no longer applies. That is what I can remember about his contract. If someone knows how to check this for sure it would be appreciated.

You're 100% correct; if he's traded this offseason the team that picks him up will only be on the hook for his $14M 2011 salary. The escalators and option year were just added in lieu of giving him a full no trade clause, now that his 10/5 rights have kicked in those are no longer in effect.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 09:22 PM)
You're 100% correct; if he's traded this offseason the team that picks him up will only be on the hook for his $14M 2011 salary. The escalators and option year were just added in lieu of giving him a full no trade clause, now that his 10/5 rights have kicked in those are no longer in effect.

This certainly changes things. It would not surprise me at all to see Buehrle traded.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 09:22 PM)

While not making it likely that he gets moved, it makes it a lot more possible, that's for sure.