White Sox Off-Season Catch All Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 19, 2011 -> 03:47 PM)
I don't know who "Jamie" is, but why was MB full of s***? He's said all along, he might retire after this contract, or he might not.

One time he said he was going to retire, definitively.

His wife called him out on it.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Feb 20, 2011 -> 04:29 PM)
I remember reading that Nancy Faust would be getting replaced. Any word on if this happened? I kinda have this feeling it won't, and it'll just be sound effects and loud noises going forward.

I know Boyer was looking for a new one.

Sad if he can't find someone.

Thornton took an early 1-0 lead in this Spring Training category between hard-throwing relievers courtesy of a Saturday morning maneuver. It seems as if Santos arrived slightly earlier than Thornton for workouts at Camelback Ranch and parked his white BMW along a fence close to the facility where veterans often park. Santos would be considered a veteran, beginning his second big league season, but with numerous other parking spots open, Thornton took it upon himself to find Santos' car a new location.

"I moved his car as far out as I could," said Thornton with a wry smile.

"After my workout and breakfast, I looked outside and my car was missing," Santos continued, in comic disbelief. "Only one guy made a comment to me and that was Thornton."

A little while later, Thornton was doing an interview when Santos approached the southpaw and simply asked "Where is it?" with a laugh. Thornton admitted no knowledge of the missing car. MLB.com is happy to report Santos eventually found his car at the farthest regions of the players' parking lot.

Now, the wait begins for Santos' counterstrike.

LInk

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 20, 2011 -> 08:19 PM)

Good story. Maybe I'm a rook in this sense but does one-half to one-full season really count as a 'veteran'? In the sense that he's gone through a spring training before, sure. But I feel like we can all agree that Santos is not a veteran in terms of production at this point; lot of things that need to be proven ie consistency over a season.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Feb 20, 2011 -> 04:29 PM)
I remember reading that Nancy Faust would be getting replaced. Any word on if this happened? I kinda have this feeling it won't, and it'll just be sound effects and loud noises going forward.

They haven't announced anything but the word has been for several months its the Blackhawks organist's job if he wants it.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Feb 21, 2011 -> 02:13 PM)
good stuff. bet he hits the projected "bump in the road" when he adds velocity.

Also, has anyone heard whether he's trying to remove that recoil he does with his right arm? Heard that it's what caused the lat injury.

I'm trying to find out on twitter from the beatwriters, no response yet.. :angry:

I don't think we will know if he has done that until he is close to 100%. I'm sure most of what he is doing now is relatively slow and deliberate compared to what he will eventually be doing.

There is a photo that ptatc commented on that he said looked good - Peavy's right arm was down by his left hip, which indicates that he was coming from over the top. I would also have to imagine that because it was still down by the left hip that he didn't have the recoil that he normally does, but again, he is probably throwing quite mechanically right now as opposed to simply pitching, so I'm not sure we will know yet.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 21, 2011 -> 04:41 PM)
The Sox are legit if Jake is 100% anytime before summer.

I assume by 100% you also mean that he is throwing well too. He could be 100% healthy and pitching pretty terribly like he was early in the year last year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 21, 2011 -> 05:59 PM)
I assume by 100% you also mean that he is throwing well too. He could be 100% healthy and pitching pretty terribly like he was early in the year last year.

I have a feeling he was favoring his arm at the beginning of last year for a reason, and then when he unleashed the fury that's why it went to hell. Hopefully he is fully on the mend and pitching like Jake F. Peavy pitches when healthy.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 21, 2011 -> 05:59 PM)

That's something people aren't mentioning as much, but I think its spot on - even when he gets going in the majors, its very likely he won't be the ace-level Peavy at first (or possibly at all in 2011). If he can get going in April sometime and be a decent starter, like AL 3rd-slot numbers, I think that's a win.