Putz likely to re-sign with Sox

southsider2k5

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles...0,4587344.story

Look for relief pitchers to be among the first free agents to start taking contracts. Kerry Wood and J.J. Putz are among those drawing interest from a lot of teams, including the Cubs. The White Sox likely will re-sign Putz but first must sort out the situation with the arbitration-eligible Bobby Jenks, who is certain to be non-tendered at the Dec. 2 deadline if he hasn't been signed.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 14, 2010 -> 03:21 PM)
I'd offer Bobby a 1/$1.5 contract. I'd be willing to negotiate a little. If he doesn't want to accept that, I move on without him.

Yah, that's almost insulting. Why bother? Just don't offer a contract at all if it's going to be that small. No reason to instigate ill will.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 14, 2010 -> 12:51 PM)
That is a typo right Balta? Jenks at 5M a year would work for me.

That's almost Linebrink money.

I think I'd be ok with Thornton (Closer), Putz (RHSU), Sale (LHSU). There's an uneasiness whenever Bobby came out the pen, that self-doubt is infectious and barring a trade(which is very unlikely) he should be non-tendered.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 14, 2010 -> 01:04 PM)
Jenks is worthy of 4-5 million per year, imo. The problem is at 7 or 8 mill you have problems. And unlike with Liney we are talking about a one year deal. Putz will get 4-6 mill a year too, probably, at least when you factor in his incentives.

oh yeah I'm not doubting he'd get that in an open market/ or an arbitration case. But he shouldn't get that from our organization.

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Nov 14, 2010 -> 06:59 PM)
That's almost Linebrink money.

I think I'd be ok with Thornton (Closer), Putz (RHSU), Sale (LHSU). There's an uneasiness whenever Bobby came out the pen, that self-doubt is infectious and barring a trade(which is very unlikely) he should be non-tendered.

Uneasiness? There's a meltdown of epic proportions whenever he takes the mound, at least from a great majority of fans at least on here.

It's got to be closer by committee. f*** traditional roles. Thornton, Puts and Sale are the three, folks. Oz is going to have to ride the hot hand.

Let Putz start out the season as the closer or whomever looks sharpest in April and go from there.

But it needs to be closer by committee.

There's no way in hell Putz is going to be reliable the entire season. He hit his rough stretch. Thornton had his lousy outings.

Maybe Sale is the next great thing, like Soria. I don't know. If he is, I guess give it to Sale. If not CLOSER BY COMMITTEE baby and I hope Bobby goes to the NL for reasons I post before which get people so mad at me. Yes I hate when former Sox go against us on a regular basis and oft times beat us.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 14, 2010 -> 02:17 PM)
Uneasiness? There's a meltdown of epic proportions whenever he takes the mound, at least from a great majority of fans at least on here.

It's got to be closer by committee. f*** traditional roles. Thornton, Puts and Sale are the three, folks. Oz is going to have to ride the hot hand.

Let Putz start out the season as the closer or whomever looks sharpest in April and go from there.

But it needs to be closer by committee.

There's no way in hell Putz is going to be reliable the entire season. He hit his rough stretch. Thornton had his lousy outings.

Maybe Sale is the next great thing, like Soria. I don't know. If he is, I guess give it to Sale. If not CLOSER BY COMMITTEE baby and I hope Bobby goes to the NL for reasons I post before which get people so mad at me. Yes I hate when former Sox go against us on a regular basis and oft times beat us.

It seems that Jenks' struggles have been wildly exaggerated. Yes its frustrating to see a closer who used to be so dominant go out and blow a save after save. But Bobby has only had 4 blown saves this year, less than he had last year (6). He notched 27 saves which was still enough to land him in the top 10 AL saves leader, he ranked 8th (above Jose Valverde).

I don't want Jenks on this team next year. But he'll find work and probably success in another system. Some one will pay him because it's not a meltdown every time he steps on the mound. His struggles are magnified more than his successes because we're witness to the contextual details; i.e. his weight, confidence issues, velocity loss. Which brings me to my bigger issue of self-doubt. Self-doubt cannot exist in a ball club thats trying to win.

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Nov 14, 2010 -> 04:14 PM)
It seems that Jenks' struggles have been wildly exaggerated. Yes its frustrating to see a closer who used to be so dominant go out and blow a save after save. But Bobby has only had 4 blown saves this year, less than he had last year (6). He notched 27 saves which was still enough to land him in the top 10 AL saves leader, he ranked 8th (above Jose Valverde).
AIEEEE!

Stop using blown saves as a reason to defend Bobby Jenks!

Allow me to give you an example. The White Sox's worst loss of the season, or at least one of their worst losses, was on a game in Minnesota, right after the AS break, where Jenks came out for the 9th inning. Jenks loaded the bases, gave up a couple runs, and retired zero Twins.

After 5 batters, Bobby was pulled and Sergio Santos came in. Sergio was nervous as hell, his first time ever in the closer's role, almost bit Alexei's head off when Alexei came to the mound to talk to him. Sergio gave up the hit to CF, Rios overthrew the cutoff man, and the game was over.

Bobby Jenks Blew the Save in one of the real momentum turning points for the Sox this season. That was one of the 2 games where the Twins really established we couldn't beat them. Bobby Jenks took the loss in that game.

However...I can't stress this enough...SANTOS WAS CREDITED WITH THE BS. Bobby Jenks totally blew that game, everyone knew Bobby Jenks blew that game, Bobby Jenks faced 5 batters and got 0 outs, and Bobby Jenks did not get the BS.

He got fewer BS's than he had the year before...because he was either hurt, or because he was so bad he got pulled. The BS is a BS stat.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 14, 2010 -> 02:04 PM)
Jenks is worthy of 4-5 million per year, imo. The problem is at 7 or 8 mill you have problems. And unlike with Liney we are talking about a one year deal. Putz will get 4-6 mill a year too, probably, at least when you factor in his incentives.

If the Sox could get both Bobby and Putz on 1-year deals for an amount similar to what Soriano would net per annum in a 2- or 3-year deal, then please give me Bobby + Putz.

1) Keeps legitimate arms in the pen should Sale have to start for whatever reason

2) No draft pick costs

3) It pushes Linebrink closer to being released (in his final year this becomes a very real possibility)

4) If the Sox fall out of contention during the season they can deal each player if it's only a 1-year deal

5) Santos insurance - you'd love for him to take hold of that righty setup role, but you certainly can't count on it

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 14, 2010 -> 06:17 PM)
If the Sox could get both Bobby and Putz on 1-year deals for an amount similar to what Soriano would net per annum in a 2- or 3-year deal, then please give me Bobby + Putz.

1) Keeps legitimate arms in the pen should Sale have to start for whatever reason

2) No draft pick costs

3) It pushes Linebrink closer to being released (in his final year this becomes a very real possibility)

4) If the Sox fall out of contention during the season they can deal each player if it's only a 1-year deal

5) Santos insurance - you'd love for him to take hold of that righty setup role, but you certainly can't count on it

I'd rather they sign Putz to a one year deal along with another reliever that's not Bobby. But in the end, I don't think a one year deal is gonna be possible on Putz. Someone will give him a 2-3 year deal.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Nov 14, 2010 -> 07:42 PM)
I'd rather they sign Putz to a one year deal along with another reliever that's not Bobby. But in the end, I don't think a one year deal is gonna be possible on Putz. Someone will give him a 2-3 year deal.

I agree that Putz will probably get a 2-3 year deal. I don't believe anything Phil Rogers related, but I hope we really are close to signing Putz, and to a reasonable team-friendly deal.

As far as Bobby though, it would be very difficult to find a reliever with Bobby's stuff and with Bobby's past history of success in a tough AL ballpark ready to sign in the $3-5M range (which is the max I'd want to offer). As scary as Bobby has been in recent times, we don't need to go back very far to remember the days of Billy Koch's walk-a-thons and Shingo's frisbee closing out games in the ninth, and that's the kind of crap other teams around the league are still dealing with.

I guess what I'm saying is that if there are others out there who are better than Bobby and are available for a similar or lesser price than we're suspecting, we'll be pretty fortunate to land one. But I hope we do, because I see Bobby leaving as a non-tender. His agent will probably think that at the very least another team will match whatever the Sox offer in a one-year deal.