Winter Meeting Buzz

Frank_Thomas

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 11:47 AM)
Not sure if posted yet, but mlb.com is doing a special......

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?topic_id=15407782

The Pader GMs press confernce was on MLBN and he bascuslly said it by not saying the whitesox were interested. He said he needed to move fast cause Boston and anoter team were liking at possible free agent solutions at the postion. Also said Boston package was deeper then others even though the other offer included major league talent or major league ready talent but lacked depth. kW is all in folks.

Ken_Rosenthal Loney a trade option? http://bit.ly/b7JX0U #Cubs #Nationals #Dodgers #MLB

16 minutes ago

in case we miss out on PK?

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 05:54 PM)
The Pader GMs press confernce was on MLBN and he bascuslly said it by not saying the whitesox were interested. He said he needed to move fast cause Boston and anoter team were liking at possible free agent solutions at the postion. Also said Boston package was deeper then others even though the other offer included major league talent or major league ready talent but lacked depth. kW is all in folks.

Ken_Rosenthal Loney a trade option? http://bit.ly/b7JX0U #Cubs #Nationals #Dodgers #MLB

16 minutes ago

The real reason Hoyer traded AGon to the Red Sox is that Hoyer is obsessed with Casey Kelly and was blinded by hubris.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 12:54 PM)

16 minutes ago

Loney has racked up a lot of RBi's because of the guys he hits around, but look at his OPS the last 3 years: .772, .756, .723. He just isn't showing the kind of offensive production he was supposed to. He'll be 27 this year. He's the kind of guy I'd go after if I were a team that was on the outs like the Cubs or Astros; he's a guy who won't be terrible for me, has a slim chance of suddenly turning it around, and he won't be too expensive. But if I wanted to compete next year, I'd rather go with Viciedo.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 12:04 PM)
jonmorosi #Reinsdorf addresses Konerko, the team's payroll, and who might close: http://bit.ly/eVuqN3 #Chicago #WhiteSox #MLB

about 1 hour ago

good read, summary.

JR: payroll should be around 110 million

JM: arizona has had advanced talks with Landis and PK and being in AZ all year may play a role.

Come on PK! Go ahead and sign on the dotted line so KW can start addressing the other issues on this team! :headbang

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 01:04 PM)
JR: payroll should be around 110 million

If this really is the case then D.Lee should with out a doubt be option A but that apparently isn't happening. If we bring PK back we're about to have to get real freakin creative.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 11:57 AM)
The real reason Hoyer traded AGon to the Red Sox is that Hoyer is obsessed with Casey Kelly and was blinded by hubris.

I thought the deal fell apart? Sorry I just saw it went through this morning.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 12:07 PM)
If this really is the case then D.Lee should with out a doubt be option A but that apparently isn't happening. If we bring PK back we're about to have to get real freakin creative.

In that same article, he says it will be the teams highest ever...we had a $121 million payroll in 2008 according to Cot's

Makes you think the Sox have to consider moving Quentin or a pitcher to get some other younger players on board. One nice thing is that the Sox should shed pitching payroll with Buehrle/Peavy coming off the books relatively soon so that should enable you to at some point offer Danks a hefty extension (if the Sox feel that is in there best interest).

I'm becoming more and more open to a trade of one of our starters, as long as the club is able to get two top 100 MLB ready pitching prospects with upside in return (which I'm not sure is a realistic expectation).

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 12:07 PM)

I agree. Don't get me wrong, I want Konerko back. But the bullpen needs a lot of work. I'm not nuts about Chris Sale being the closer, and I really don't like the idea of Matt Thornton of being the closer.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 01:16 PM)
Makes you think the Sox have to consider moving Quentin or a pitcher to get some other younger players on board. One nice thing is that the Sox should shed pitching payroll with Buehrle/Peavy coming off the books relatively soon so that should enable you to at some point offer Danks a hefty extension (if the Sox feel that is in there best interest).

I'm becoming more and more open to a trade of one of our starters, as long as the club is able to get two top 100 MLB ready pitching prospects with upside in return (which I'm not sure is a realistic expectation).

I'm open to moving a starter as long as we get a pitcher who can step right in and take a rotation spot. KW said that Sale is going to be in the pen and if we're planning on contending this season(which we obviously are) than that's the right spot for him.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 01:10 PM)
Lorenzo Cain being dangled?

MLBtraderumors says the Brewers are looking for a starting pitcher. If we can give them Floyd, that really improves their pitching a TON with Floyd and Marcum. And Cain looks pretty good, even if he is going to be 25 before the season starts and has yet to really see much time in the majors.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 12:13 PM)
How much of that figures includes considerations from other clubs? I know we were getting cash for Thome and Vazquez.

Including the money from LAA for Cabrera, the confusing money from the Phils for Thome and cash from the Reds for Griffey: the team's final payroll was around $110M in 2008.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 12:32 PM)
Hearing #chisox made 2nd best offer to #padres for a-gon. Once they were told no, they went for dunn. - Jon Heyman

Wonder what our package consisted of, most certainly Dayan, not sure where we would have went from there.