Crawford to Boston, $142 Million, 7 Years

Pale Sox

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:14 PM)
.708 career OPS at Fenway.

Because he has had to face Boston pitching throughout the entirety of his career there. Boston has had some pretty damn good pitchers while Crawford has been in the majors. I'd start naming names, but, including relievers, it's probably 20-30 names long.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 12:01 AM)
Because he has had to face Boston pitching throughout the entirety of his career there. Boston has had some pretty damn good pitchers while Crawford has been in the majors. I'd start naming names, but, including relievers, it's probably 20-30 names long.

Oh pish posh and flim flam. He's not gonna earn that $142 million!

Assuming he actually played all 9 innings of all 162 games, he gets $24,348.42 per inning. To play baseball. It amounts to $55,000 per day, 365 days per year for 7 years. And he's not the highest paid. I love baseball, and this is America with "free enterprise," but... Seems like priorities are misaligned.

QUOTE (bobryansson @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 12:19 AM)
Assuming he actually played all 9 innings of all 162 games, he gets $24,348.42 per inning. To play baseball. It amounts to $55,000 per day, 365 days per year for 7 years. And he's not the highest paid. I love baseball, and this is America with "free enterprise," but... Seems like priorities are misaligned.

That's what happens when you're one of the very best in a multi-billion dollar industry.

How good is Carl Crawford? That is a question I have to ask. He is a freak athlete and a 5 tool player, but outside of basestealing he doesn't excel at one thing and I think he's going to be one of those guys that it will be hard to live up to that contract in the "fans" eyes. I say that because he won't win a batting title, won't hit 30 HR's, and won't have a .400+ OBP.

He will play above average defense, unfortunately, is in the least valuable defensive position on the field (outside of 1B) in left field. He does steal bases well but in time those numbers will decrease as he gets older and wears down.

I think teams that didn't get Crawford will be thankful, specifically the Angels, a few years down the road. However, their is no denying that is an all around above average player with little flaws. But a superstar, I don't quite think so.

Overall this is a really bad contract.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 12:38 AM)
I'd say Dunn's at least a 3.5 WAR player.

He's remarkably consistent. He'll be between 3-3.5 if he never sees the field defensively. Since that's not gonna happen, 3 is a good projection.