Brian Cashman? Hi it's Kenny Williams

shago

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 06:34 PM)
I agree.

The're still the Yankees. Imagine how excited we all would be if the current Yankees roster was the White Sox roster. Its a good thing the Sox aren't in the AL East.

True. But they're not in the AL central. Whether they admit it or not, they had to sign Lee to counter what the Red Sox did even more so than the obvious fact he would've made them a much better team.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 07:24 PM)
That's true, I suppose I was thinking more of Texas when in reality he chose the most "luxurious" place of all, considering he's going to be in the middle of that rotation.

Still, they have time and the resources to ride the storm out.

Yeah, OK, a top 10 prospect in the game who just put up a .980 OPS in AAA as a 22 year old isn't going to be traded for an outfielder who is terrible defensively, is coming off a solid but very streaky season, and is injury prone along with a pitcher who has so-so mechanics while questions loom as to whether or not he is actually going to be able to start.

I doubt Ruben Amaro would even consider that deal. I guarantee you Williams does.

Success at AA/AAA doesn't mean he's going to be a good MLB player. They are indicators. Just like an indicator is if CQ is healthy he can be a league MVP candidate. Brown got called up and scuffled. Sale came up and thrived. There are penty of top 10 prospects around who have failed miserably at MLB level.

But I'll defer to you because you speak in absolutes and seem to know how every GM of every franchise thinks and the trade value of every prospect and player out there. I respect your opinion but,and I'm reltaively new here, you come across as a know it all and it's stupid for anyone to disagree with your assessmnet of players. Just like your "can we stop all the Carlos Beltran trade talk". Why should we? Granted he likely won't be traded to the Sox but you don't know anymore than me, or the rest of us. He could get traded to the Sox just as easily as not.

I seem to remember last year, and I don't know if this was you but it was many, that Adrian Gonzalez would cost Beckham and the entire minor league system from the Sox. Turns out the price wasn't all that high. In fact, it seems like most trades return a far less amount than what is predicted on here.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 06:41 PM)
PTBNL.

I would really like to see the precedence for this. There's the technicality of it all, but I don't think this has ever actually been done.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 07:51 PM)
Success at AA/AAA doesn't mean he's going to be a good MLB player. They are indicators. Just like an indicator is if CQ is healthy he can be a league MVP candidate. Brown got called up and scuffled. Sale came up and thrived. There are penty of top 10 prospects around who have failed miserably at MLB level.

Of course, but consider the financials of it too. Carlos Quentin is going to make $5 million this year, $7-9 million next year, and then he's a free agent. They get Chris Sale for 6 years, but he's going to be a reliever on that team.

OR they get 6 years of a cost controlled player who is one of the best prospects in the game who they can break in slowly considering they still have some pretty solid pieces around the diamond, though it's obviously not nearly what it once was.

But I'll defer to you because you speak in absolutes and seem to know how every GM of every franchise thinks and the trade value of every prospect and player out there.

I try to consider why other teams would make moves. What legitimate reason would Philadelphia give up Dominic Brown? They have a hole in RF, they are well beyond their budgetary constraints, and they don't have many needs elsewhere on their team for which they would be willing to deal Brown. The Phillies wouldn't give him up for Halladay - that says enough to me.

I respect your opinion but,and I'm reltaively new here, you come across as a know it all and it's stupid for anyone to disagree with your assessmnet of players. Just like your "can we stop all the Carlos Beltran trade talk". Why should we? Granted he likely won't be traded to the Sox but you don't know anymore than me, or the rest of us. He could get traded to the Sox just as easily as not.

Because Carlos Beltran is going to cost $18.5 million this year and he put up a .768 OPS last year. I know he was coming back from an injury, but that's part of it too - he isn't the most durable of players. Especially with the Sox just signing Crain, they don't have $18.5 million to shell out, and to get the Mets to eat any of that money, the Sox would have to include more players, so you are talking about quite a few key pieces of the minor league system, including Viciedo. Beyond that, it's the last year of Beltran's deal and he almost certainly wouldn't resign with the Sox unless it was a huge deal (or he absolutely loved playing for the White Sox). So you'd be giving all of that up for 1 year of Carlos Beltran, a guy who had a .768 OPS last year and missed about 180 games between 2009 and 2010.

I seem to remember last year, and I don't know if this was you but it was many, that Adrian Gonzalez would cost Beckham and the entire minor league system from the Sox. Turns out the price wasn't all that high. In fact, it seems like most trades return a far less amount than what is predicted on here.

Casey Kelly was BA's 24th rated prospect going into the 2010 season, Anthony Rizzo had 50 XBHs and showed a decent eye at the plate in AA as a 20 year old (and played OK in the 30 games or so he had in A ball before he was promoted), Raymond Fuentes was the Red Sox first round pick in 2009, and in A-ball as a 19 year old showed great speed, a little bit of power, and the ability to hit for a good average. The Padres are going to get another player out of the deal too. I would say they got a pretty damn good package.

Beyond that, they were not going to sign him to an extension, so they either had to keep him and take 2 draft picks or trade him for the best package they could. They had no leverage in trade negotiations, whereas last year they did, considering they still had him signed for 2 years and they hadn't come out and admitted that they weren't going to resign him (though the rest of the baseball world assumed they wouldn't). Not only that, but had they traded him last offseason as opposed to this offseason, the receiving team would have gotten 2 years out of him, not just 1. That adds value as well.

---

I'm not trying to come off as a pompous ass, but a lot of this stuff can be reasoned through without merely looking at it on the surface. I'm just trying to point out why things would work and why they won't. Making 4 separate, semi-blockbuster deals at this point in time isn't likely, nor is trading Carlos Quentin along with pretty much anybody in the Sox system for Brown, nor is trading for Carlos Beltran.

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 08:46 PM)
With the Crain signing, think it's all the more likely we are dumping Edwin to the Yankees. Bring on Brett.....

I don't see how Crain's status is at all relevant to Edwin Jackson. It also doesn't make a whole lot of sense for the Yankees to deal Brett Gardner for a pitcher who has been an enigma his entire career and is a free agent at the end of the year. The Yankees don't have an overflow of outfielders that they really need to trade at this point in time.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 14, 2010 -> 11:29 PM)
Am I the only crazy person who doesn't want to trade anybody from our rotation???? This doesn't make ANY sense to me. We're going "all in" by trading a piece of our awesome rotation? Or by dealing a good bat for relievers?

+1.

A rotaton of a HEALTHY Peavy, Burls, Danks, Jackson and Floyd is nasty with Freddy as a backup plan. I suspect if they move a SP, then they think Sale is ready to start and that would necessitate adding another reliever in trade.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 11:07 PM)
+1.

A rotaton of a HEALTHY Peavy, Burls, Danks, Jackson and Floyd is nasty with Freddy as a backup plan. I suspect if they move a SP, then they think Sale is ready to start and that would necessitate adding another reliever in trade.

I'm not counting on Peavy at all, anything we get from him will be a bonus, I wouldn't mind if KW can find a taker for him because if he's not the Jake Peavy we traded for then he's a very very expensive, non elite pitcher. I applaud KW for getting him but I doubt we'll ever see the 2006-2007 Jake Peavy.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 14, 2010 -> 10:29 PM)
Am I the only crazy person who doesn't want to trade anybody from our rotation???? This doesn't make ANY sense to me. We're going "all in" by trading a piece of our awesome rotation? Or by dealing a good bat for relievers?

I don't think anyone wants to, they are just worried about money.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 09:10 AM)
The money isn't our problem, though. Jerry clearly made an exception to sign Konerko and that didn't effect our relief budget one bit.

They have also said that our budget is supposed to be $110 million, and we are going to blow through that with the arb guys.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 10:17 AM)
They have also said that our budget is supposed to be $110 million, and we are going to blow through that with the arb guys.

And no one thought that was a "we don't need to over-bid on Jesse Crain because we won't have competition from the White Sox" Gambit?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 08:52 PM)
Because Carlos Beltran is going to cost $18.5 million this year and he put up a .768 OPS last year. I know he was coming back from an injury, but that's part of it too - he isn't the most durable of players. Especially with the Sox just signing Crain, they don't have $18.5 million to shell out, and to get the Mets to eat any of that money, the Sox would have to include more players, so you are talking about quite a few key pieces of the minor league system, including Viciedo. Beyond that, it's the last year of Beltran's deal and he almost certainly wouldn't resign with the Sox unless it was a huge deal (or he absolutely loved playing for the White Sox). So you'd be giving all of that up for 1 year of Carlos Beltran, a guy who had a .768 OPS last year and missed about 180 games between 2009 and 2010.

---

I'm not trying to come off as a pompous ass, but a lot of this stuff can be reasoned through without merely looking at it on the surface. I'm just trying to point out why things would work and why they won't. Making 4 separate, semi-blockbuster deals at this point in time isn't likely, nor is trading Carlos Quentin along with pretty much anybody in the Sox system for Brown, nor is trading for Carlos Beltran.

Hey, you make a lot of good points overall in this post. No doubt Beltran is a longshot. But just sayin': if Quentin ($~5.5 mil) is traded, and Teahen ($4.5 mil) is included in the Beltran deal with a Kyle Bellamy and/or Nathan Jones and the Mets pick up $6 mil or so on his contract, the whole series of transactions is nearly payroll neutral.

Not saying that makes it likely, just that the Mets aren't going to get a ton of quality prospects for Beltran in any case, and this might be feasible if guys like Quentin/Pierre/Jackson are moved out. If not, of course it's not going to happen and the team will be worse off if it trades Quentin or a SP for prospects to save cash.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 11:32 AM)
Hey, you make a lot of good points overall in this post. No doubt Beltran is a longshot. But just sayin': if Quentin ($~5.5 mil) is traded, and Teahen ($4.5 mil) is included in the Beltran deal with a Kyle Bellamy and/or Nathan Jones and the Mets pick up $6 mil or so on his contract, the whole series of transactions is nearly payroll neutral.

Not saying that makes it likely, just that the Mets aren't going to get a ton of quality prospects for Beltran in any case, and this might be feasible if guys like Quentin/Pierre/Jackson are moved out. If not, of course it's not going to happen and the team will be worse off if it trades Quentin or a SP for prospects to save cash.

Can we just stop with the talk about Pierre being traded? He is not going anywhere, no matter how much he is not liked on Soxtalk. If anything, in reality he's probably as much of a lock to be on the 2011 roster as anybody on this team.