Kerry Wood signs 1 year, $1.5 million deal with Cubs

caulfield12

Sox reportedly offered 1 Year 3.5M, but originally he told the Yanks he was seeking 2 Years and 12M. Something doesnt seem right here, you dont go from demanding 12M to settling for 1.5M for no reason. Me thinks there is more to this story.

Edited by joeynach

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (joeynach @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 11:11 PM)
Sox reportedly offered 1 Year 3.5M, but originally he told the Yanks he was seeking 2 Years and 12M. Something doesnt seem right here, you dont go from demanding 12M to settling for 1.5M for no reason. Me thinks there is more to this story.

You are right there. These salary number are huge differences

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 05:08 PM)
I hope for the sake of Kerry Wood's intelligence the offer was pulled after we signed Crain. Because if he took less money from a team that is going to suck over more money from a contender, he's just plain stupid.

Do you think that the Sox made offers to both Crain and Wood thinking they could get both or was it a none or the other situation?

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 07:15 PM)
WTF? 1.5M, really? Wow. Okay, it's your career, Wood.

As I said in earlier posts, I like 1 year deals for relief pitchers so I think this is a great deal for the Cubs. That being said the salary thing is fishy. I wonder if the Cubs and Wood came to a gentlemen's agreement where if Wood pitches good this year, they'll reward him next offseason when they have 50 mil coming off the books.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 10:56 PM)
As I said in earlier posts, I like 1 year deals for relief pitchers so I think this is a great deal for the Cubs. That being said the salary thing is fishy. I wonder if the Cubs and Wood came to a gentlemen's agreement where if Wood pitches good this year, they'll reward him next offseason when they have 50 mil coming off the books.

Oh yeah, I've definitely got nothing against the 1 year, that's probably the best he was gonna get anyway, it's the $1.5M that's bizarre as hell. I mean, let alone the fact that he had better offers on the table with better teams, he could EASILY have leveraged a little more money out of the Cubs just based on the competition for his services. Whaaaatever, it's all his prerogative.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 08:09 PM)
Oh yeah, I've definitely got nothing against the 1 year, that's probably the best he was gonna get anyway, it's the $1.5M that's bizarre as hell. I mean, let alone the fact that he had better offers on the table with better teams, he could EASILY have leveraged a little more money out of the Cubs just based on the competition for his services. Whaaaatever, it's all his prerogative.

He could've gotten more from alot of other teams, he was damn good last year for the Yanks.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 07:56 PM)

This has to be a giant PR ploy for the cubs. Their roster is in total rebuild mode and their hired a rookie manager. I bet their hoping if they sign some names like Wood and Pena they can still give people a reason to come out and buy tickets. Little do they know all they have to do is have the sun shine and beer taps turned on. This deal makes no baseball sense for the cubs beside the fact its cheap. Why would u even waste the 60IP or whatever on Wood at this point when you are in internal talent evaluation mode, leaps and bounds behind the cards/reds, and essentially "letting the kids play" while waiting for that 50M to come off the books. I seriously think someone in marketing told Rickets that they need to give a reason for the people to continue the work outings, bday parties, summer get togethers, and annual family chicago trips from Iowa or he wont make any money......and then K Wood said he would play for $1.5M on a 90 loss team.

Edited by joeynach

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 08:56 PM)

I think the idea of Kerry Wood as a Cub has endorsement significance. He will probably end up making more money in endorsements as a Cub than he would make as salary for any other team. Meanwhile, he will surely be traded at the deadline to a contender.

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 07:25 AM)
I think the idea of Kerry Wood as a Cub has endorsement significance. He will probably end up making more money in endorsements as a Cub than he would make as salary for any other team.to a contender.

I highly doubt that. He won't be getting any national media spots at this point in his career so I doubt his local cable commercials will be worth several million dollars.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 08:34 AM)
I highly doubt that. He won't be getting any national media spots at this point in his career so I doubt his local cable commercials will be worth several million dollars.

It's a $2M difference. At the least, he can make up a decent chunk of that deficit and play for the team he wants to play for. I don't think it's that far fetched.

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 08:40 AM)
It's a $2M difference. At the least, he can make up a decent chunk of that deficit and play for the team he wants to play for. I don't think it's that far fetched.

Compared to finding a couple car dealerships in northern New Jersey to advertise for?

How did it originally end with Wood in the past. Didn't the high paying cubs choose to not sign him and thus he went to Cleveland. That was a business decision that he is now passing over in the name of loyalty.

Although he wet his pants the last time he pitched at wrigley so maybe he really truly loves everything about that situation.

It seems to me he could have gotten a much better deal but he really feels bad for the cubs. Loyalty is one thing but come on, some of it reeks of loser to me as that is the position he is in.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 10:39 AM)
How did it originally end with Wood in the past. Didn't the high paying cubs choose to not sign him and thus he went to Cleveland. That was a business decision that he is now passing over in the name of loyalty.

Although he wet his pants the last time he pitched at wrigley so maybe he really truly loves everything about that situation.

It seems to me he could have gotten a much better deal but he really feels bad for the cubs. Loyalty is one thing but come on, some of it reeks of loser to me as that is the position he is in.

Yeah, the Cubs said they couldn't pay him, so he went to Cleveland. Now Ken Rosenthal just wrote a sob story about how amazing Kerry Wood is for taking less money ($2M? Not a big deal for a guy who has made over $70M) and even went as far as to say that Kerry Wood re-signing with the Cubs is the most touching story of the off season, and only a great guy like Wood and a team like the Cubs could make this possible......

I'm not a Cubs hater, but that is just ridiculous.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 09:44 AM)
Yeah, the Cubs said they couldn't pay him, so he went to Cleveland. Now Ken Rosenthal just wrote a sob story about how amazing Kerry Wood is for taking less money ($2M? Not a big deal for a guy who has made over $70M) and even went as far as to say that Kerry Wood re-signing with the Cubs is the most touching story of the off season, and only a great guy like Wood and a team like the Cubs could make this possible......

I'm not a Cubs hater, but that is just ridiculous.

Did they foget about the Lee guy leaving like $50 million on the table?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 11:06 AM)
Did they foget about the Lee guy leaving like $50 million on the table?

Or...how about when Kerry Wood didn't settle for less money 2 years ago when he decided to LEAVE the Cubs and go to Cleveland for a 2 yr/$20M deal. So, Wood is an amazing guy for leaving $2M on the table to sign with the Cubs, but the $8M or whatever he would have sacrificied to stay in Chicago and not go to Cleveland was not worth it? Seems funny to me that he can leave for more money, and then come back 2 years later and would praised for coming back to his roots. It's not like he was TRADED to Cleveland. lol, I'm sorry, it's just so stupid to me so see Rosenthal hail Kerry Wood for this and claim how touching this is. I do applaud Kerry for going back where he started, and for taking less money, but it's hardly "touching".

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 11:16 AM)
Or...how about when Kerry Wood didn't settle for less money 2 years ago when he decided to LEAVE the Cubs and go to Cleveland for a 2 yr/$20M deal. So, Wood is an amazing guy for leaving $2M on the table to sign with the Cubs, but the $8M or whatever he would have sacrificied to stay in Chicago and not go to Cleveland was not worth it? Seems funny to me that he can leave for more money, and then come back 2 years later and would praised for coming back to his roots. It's not like he was TRADED to Cleveland. lol, I'm sorry, it's just so stupid to me so see Rosenthal hail Kerry Wood for this and claim how touching this is. I do applaud Kerry for going back where he started, and for taking less money, but it's hardly "touching".

Actually from what I remember and read, Wood wanted to re-sign with the Cubs but they let him walk in order to sign Milton Bradley. A colossally stupid move. Regardless I think it's obviously a good move for them especially when you consider the year and salary. You can never have enough good bullpen arms. I've never disliked Wood so if he wants to "go home" then good for him.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 10:16 AM)

I don't follow much about the Cubs, but wasn't Wood hurt a lot. Maybe he signed for a little less, because he knows he didn't earn all the cash he previously received . The other thing is he's clearly comfortable in this city and his family is here. Nothing really touching about it...just practical.