Catch All Anything Thread

kapkomet

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 11:07 AM)
I don't know where else to post this, but I find it to be a disturbing indictment of our current culture...

So, there is this huge wildfire burning in Arizona. Its a monster fire, burned like 400,000 acres so far, and keeps going. Approaching some towns now.

CNN interviews a resident of one of the towns and his family, who are packing up a couple pickup trucks with everything they can fit to leave. Not everything fits of course. Their choices?

--X-Box makes the cut, same with the dog

--What doesn't make the cut and stays to burn: family photos, and the cat

So... the X-box, easily replaceable, can go... but the irreplaceable family photos, and the LIVING THING, are left to burn? Seriously? WTF is wrong with people?

Article

There's a whole chapter in World War Z (post-zombie war Studz Terkal style oral history, awesome with lots of contemporary commentary) that describes similar choices made by people fleeing for survival: modern comfort/entertainment devices instead of survival/important things.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 12:29 AM)
I'm pretty sure its objectively true that dogs are more intelligent than cats.

Dogs eat their own s***. If this is a sign of intelligence then I'm glad I went with dumb cats that don't have breath that smells like s***.

So I'm definitely more of a cat person than a dog person but I can honestly say that once I get my own place I wont have pets for a long, long time. Once the two I had growing up died last year, I just became kind of meh about having animals. I do still like the 2 I got but they definitely drive me nuts more times than not.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 12:12 AM)
Dogs eat their own s***. If this is a sign of intelligence then I'm glad I went with dumb cats that don't have breath that smells like s***.

Humans do that too. Its on the internet.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 12:12 AM)

My cat's breath smells like cat food. Which is to say, it smells terrible.

Most dogs don't eat their own s***, it's a nutritional problem generally if they do.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 11:29 PM)
I'm pretty sure its objectively true that dogs are more intelligent than cats.

Dogs have bigger brains but cats have double the neurons in their cortex, which is considered the thinking part of the brain, so meh it could go either way. As for the person that says people arent as sad when their cat dies, you are more biased towards dogs than rockraines is to ohio state.

So I misspelled "must" as "msut" in a pretty long email to someone in a different department that's working on a project with me. This was her reply to a lenghty email:

On your Outlook email screen click on Tools/Options/Spelling tab and put a check mark in both boxes.

Auto spell-check is a MUST in business, it's saved my untold embarrassment.

Felt like a cheapshot a bit, especially considering there is a grammer mistake in her email. Oh well, I got a good laugh out of it, and she was correct in that I needed to turn that auto spell check on.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 08:30 AM)
So I misspelled "must" as "msut" in a pretty long email to someone in a different department that's working on a project with me. This was her reply to a lenghty email:

Felt like a cheapshot a bit, especially considering there is a grammer mistake in her email. Oh well, I got a good laugh out of it, and she was correct in that I needed to turn that auto spell check on.

Ah yes, the vast feeling of inadequacy felt around the office manifesting itself as the grammar nazi.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 07:05 AM)
Dogs have bigger brains but cats have double the neurons in their cortex, which is considered the thinking part of the brain, so meh it could go either way. As for the person that says people arent as sad when their cat dies, you are more biased towards dogs than rockraines is to ohio state.

It wasn't me but I'll agree that when someone I know has lost a dog, almost always they have been more broken up than when someone else lost a cat. Even with me personally, we had both growing up and the reactions to losing our dog were way different than when we lost our cat.

She does have a point, but what a beotch. You should respond "Thanks so much, that will surely save ME untold embarassment in the future."

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 08:47 AM)
She does have a point, but what a beotch. You should respond "Thanks so much, that will surely save ME untold embarassment in the future."

Haha, exactly what my manager said when he saw it (he was looking at some stuff on my laptop when the email came in).

I decided to take the high road on this one though.

Edited by bigruss22

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 05:52 AM)
My cat's breath smells like cat food. Which is to say, it smells terrible.

Most dogs don't eat their own s***, it's a nutritional problem generally if they do.

Cats can take care of their own bathroom needs, dogs can't. end of story.

Kelsey%20Grammer%20Pictures%205.jpg :P ?

I would have totally just replied and bolded "my".

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 11:07 AM)
I don't know where else to post this, but I find it to be a disturbing indictment of our current culture...

So, there is this huge wildfire burning in Arizona. Its a monster fire, burned like 400,000 acres so far, and keeps going. Approaching some towns now.

CNN interviews a resident of one of the towns and his family, who are packing up a couple pickup trucks with everything they can fit to leave. Not everything fits of course. Their choices?

--X-Box makes the cut, same with the dog

--What doesn't make the cut and stays to burn: family photos, and the cat

So... the X-box, easily replaceable, can go... but the irreplaceable family photos, and the LIVING THING, are left to burn? Seriously? WTF is wrong with people?

Article

FWIW, cats are far more independent and self-reliant when left on their own compared to dogs.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 10:25 AM)
Cats are seriously problem solvers. They can figure s*** out. Yes, dogs can be trained to do something, but cats are clever. They are on the next level. They f*** wiht you.

I love it.

I know plenty of dogs the same way too though. A friend of mine has a dog that will want her seat on the couch so the dog will go to the door and bark as if someone is there so my friend will get up and check, and when she goes back to the couch the dog will be in her seat.

Both dogs and cats can be very clever, and both can be dumb as hell.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 10:29 AM)
I know plenty of dogs the same way too though. A friend of mine has a dog that will want her seat on the couch so the dog will go to the door and bark as if someone is there so my friend will get up and check, and when she goes back to the couch the dog will be in her seat.

Both dogs and cats can be very clever, and both can be dumb as hell.

like hoomunz