Catch All Anything Thread

kapkomet

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 09:12 AM)
Promotion to 1st Lieutenant today. Nice little pay raise (especially when combined with the two year mark that I hit on the 29th), and I'll escape the "butter bar stigma". Woohoo! :headbang :usa :headbang :usa

Congrats!! :cheers

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 09:12 AM)
Promotion to 1st Lieutenant today. Nice little pay raise (especially when combined with the two year mark that I hit on the 29th), and I'll escape the "butter bar stigma". Woohoo! :headbang :usa :headbang :usa

Congrats. :headbang

Also what is a "butter bar stigma"?

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 08:25 AM)
Congrats. :headbang

Also what is a "butter bar stigma"?

I made up that term, but the stigma still exists. A 2nd Lieutenant wears a gold bar as his rank, aka the "butter bar". And there's a definite stigma of "oh, he's an officer, yeah, but only a butter bar", sort of hinting that our inexperience makes us retarded or something. And while 1st Lieutenant is just an automatic promotion after 18 months, it pretty much erases that inexperienced stigma.

I seem to remember reading or being told something like this. The concept of Purgatory in Catholicism went in and out of acceptance. Something like it was an accepted belief, then a Pope said it didn't exist, and later on another one said it did.

Does anyone have any information on that? Is it even true? A Google search didn't really get me what I was looking for.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 04:58 PM)
Sort of, but it doesn't seem to say that it existed, then didn't, and then did again. Perhaps the person was just lying or confused.

Well, it does talk about the views and how they've changed, which is essentially what you're asking. Obviously, not anyone can say whether it definitively exists or not.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 07:03 PM)
Well, it does talk about the views and how they've changed, which is essentially what you're asking. Obviously, not anyone can say whether it definitively exists or not.

I was going for the Catholic Church's stance on it. It seems to be saying that, at first, it was just an idea and then it became an accepted truth. I had heard that it jumped back and forth.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 10:30 AM)
I made up that term, but the stigma still exists. A 2nd Lieutenant wears a gold bar as his rank, aka the "butter bar". And there's a definite stigma of "oh, he's an officer, yeah, but only a butter bar", sort of hinting that our inexperience makes us retarded or something. And while 1st Lieutenant is just an automatic promotion after 18 months, it pretty much erases that inexperienced stigma.

To be fair, enough of them exist to have created the stigma in the first place, lol

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 08:05 PM)
I was going for the Catholic Church's stance on it. It seems to be saying that, at first, it was just an idea and then it became an accepted truth. I had heard that it jumped back and forth.

Catholic dogma has varied wildly over its history. I tend to agree with the idea that the pope is an anti-Christ, so I am probably not the best person to ask about that.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 07:16 PM)
How can anyone really truly know what happens after you die?

I believe in the Christian afterlife. I don't have proof. It's just faith. But it's my faith. Which is exactly why I don't care if you share my beliefs or not. It's a personal matter.

On sort of a tangent here, I want to bring up something in my life recently that fully illustrates my disgust for intolerant, evangelical beliefs...

My girlfriend (Jenn) was born to 16 year old girl and 17 year old boy who immediately gave her up for adoption. Her adoptive family was loving, caring and passed good, Christian values on to Jenn. Yet she maintained a somewhat close relationship with her birth mother, Rosie (her birth father is a non factor).

As time went on, Rosie got married and gave Jenn several half-siblings with whom she is very close. And Rosie became a fanatical Christian. She attends one of those creepy non-denominational churches that holds sermons in a huge auditorium with enormous projection screens and big-screen TVs, and where the people sway back and forth while singing hymns (I'm a conservative Christian, but this and GodTV gives me the creeps). She posts three or four evangelical Facebook statuses a day, condemning everything under the sun it seems. She sees the devil in everything from Obama bumper stickers (crappy politician, not Satan) to Harry Potter movies (goofy kids movies I don't plan on watching, not Satanic works). But hey, maybe there's still a good person under all this nuttiness, right?

Well...no. Jenn tells me how Rosie's husband got a big raise a few years back, but instead of putting the extra money into a fund for her children's college educations, she uses it to buy new clothes for herself pretty much every weekend. She thinks the idea of doing aid work, here or abroad, without mentioning God is a denial of God and an acceptance of Satan. Yes, if I went to Mozambique and built a hospital for orphans with AIDS and didn't cram Bibles down their throats, I'd be doing the devil's work. And of course, Rosie judges and condemns everyone who doesn't follow her beliefs. Oddly, she loves Israel as much as I do. Sometimes, I wonder if she knows they're Jewish.

So here's the kicker. Years before we met, Jenn went to study abroad in New Zealand. She met and started dating an Indian Hindu man (who, from all accounts, is a terrific human being). They dated for several years, and when she found out, Rosie told Jenn that she wouldn't have anything to do with a daughter that would dare date a Satan worshipper. Jenn and her ex eventually parted ways, but Jenn and Rosie still didn't talk on the phone for years. Their only contact was a few very tense facebook and text messages.

This communication heated up, and finally, after being challenged, Rosie called Jenn yesterday. It didn't go well. Rosie said that Jenn (a good, loving, and tolerant Christian if I've ever met one), doomed herself to Hell when she started "traveling the world and enjoying the company of Satan worshippers years ago". She said that she could no longer allow Jenn to act as if she were a Christian. Jenn told her to just forget about her, and being a total hypocrite, Rosie asked, "oh, you would just abandon your mother?" And rightfully so, Jenn pointed out that just popping her out of her womb doesn't make her (Rosie) her mother. They hung up, and Jenn spent most of today in the hospital due to a digestive issue she has. But Rosie harassed her via text all day, claiming she would have raised Jenn better than to be so "malevolent and selfish".

I can't stand this. It makes me piss blood. I'm going to have the honor of being Jenn's date to her sister's wedding in November, where I'll meet Rosie for the first (and hopefully last) time. I've never been this excited about using my mouth to s*** all over a conservative, Christian person. I just want to know...how are being intolerant, abandoning one's offspring and harboring an intense hatred for the world God created the actions of a true Christian? How does she not realize this? What the f*** kind of person is she?

I also despise Rosie because she is a complete embarassment to my conservative Christian beliefs. Literally. I am so convinced in my far right wing beliefs, and then I see someone like Rosie, I'm just incredulous about the fact that she even partially agrees with me. s***, I'd rather get caught agreeing with BigSqwert (:lolhitting). It's just embarassing having her on my general side. Ugh.

/rant

And when the f*** did Chris Getz decide he can play baseball?

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 09:17 PM)
And of course, Rosie judges and condemns everyone who doesn't follow her beliefs. Oddly, she loves Israel as much as I do. Sometimes, I wonder if she knows they're Jewish.

This made me laugh. It does bring up a good (if hackneyed) point, though. Far too often people just agree with what tends to go along with their beliefs (in this case, it seems Rosie only loves Israel because she's otherwise conservative, and that's what you're "supposed" to do. Please correct me if I'm wrong), without realizing the massive amount of cognitive dissonance going on.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 10:17 PM)
I believe in the Christian afterlife. I don't have proof. It's just faith. But it's my faith. Which is exactly why I don't care if you share my beliefs or not. It's a personal matter.

On sort of a tangent here, I want to bring up something in my life recently that fully illustrates my disgust for intolerant, evangelical beliefs...

My girlfriend (Jenn) was born to 16 year old girl and 17 year old boy who immediately gave her up for adoption. Her adoptive family was loving, caring and passed good, Christian values on to Jenn. Yet she maintained a somewhat close relationship with her birth mother, Rosie (her birth father is a non factor).

As time went on, Rosie got married and gave Jenn several half-siblings with whom she is very close. And Rosie became a fanatical Christian. She attends one of those creepy non-denominational churches that holds sermons in a huge auditorium with enormous projection screens and big-screen TVs, and where the people sway back and forth while singing hymns (I'm a conservative Christian, but this and GodTV gives me the creeps). She posts three or four evangelical Facebook statuses a day, condemning everything under the sun it seems. She sees the devil in everything from Obama bumper stickers (crappy politician, not Satan) to Harry Potter movies (goofy kids movies I don't plan on watching, not Satanic works). But hey, maybe there's still a good person under all this nuttiness, right?

Well...no. Jenn tells me how Rosie's husband got a big raise a few years back, but instead of putting the extra money into a fund for her children's college educations, she uses it to buy new clothes for herself pretty much every weekend. She thinks the idea of doing aid work, here or abroad, without mentioning God is a denial of God and an acceptance of Satan. Yes, if I went to Mozambique and built a hospital for orphans with AIDS and didn't cram Bibles down their throats, I'd be doing the devil's work. And of course, Rosie judges and condemns everyone who doesn't follow her beliefs. Oddly, she loves Israel as much as I do. Sometimes, I wonder if she knows they're Jewish.

So here's the kicker. Years before we met, Jenn went to study abroad in New Zealand. She met and started dating an Indian Hindu man (who, from all accounts, is a terrific human being). They dated for several years, and when she found out, Rosie told Jenn that she wouldn't have anything to do with a daughter that would dare date a Satan worshipper. Jenn and her ex eventually parted ways, but Jenn and Rosie still didn't talk on the phone for years. Their only contact was a few very tense facebook and text messages.

This communication heated up, and finally, after being challenged, Rosie called Jenn yesterday. It didn't go well. Rosie said that Jenn (a good, loving, and tolerant Christian if I've ever met one), doomed herself to Hell when she started "traveling the world and enjoying the company of Satan worshippers years ago". She said that she could no longer allow Jenn to act as if she were a Christian. Jenn told her to just forget about her, and being a total hypocrite, Rosie asked, "oh, you would just abandon your mother?" And rightfully so, Jenn pointed out that just popping her out of her womb doesn't make her (Rosie) her mother. They hung up, and Jenn spent most of today in the hospital due to a digestive issue she has. But Rosie harassed her via text all day, claiming she would have raised Jenn better than to be so "malevolent and selfish".

I can't stand this. It makes me piss blood. I'm going to have the honor of being Jenn's date to her sister's wedding in November, where I'll meet Rosie for the first (and hopefully last) time. I've never been this excited about using my mouth to s*** all over a conservative, Christian person. I just want to know...how are being intolerant, abandoning one's offspring and harboring an intense hatred for the world God created the actions of a true Christian? How does she not realize this? What the f*** kind of person is she?

I also despise Rosie because she is a complete embarassment to my conservative Christian beliefs. Literally. I am so convinced in my far right wing beliefs, and then I see someone like Rosie, I'm just incredulous about the fact that she even partially agrees with me. s***, I'd rather get caught agreeing with BigSqwert (:lolhitting). It's just embarassing having her on my general side. Ugh.

/rant

And when the f*** did Chris Getz decide he can play baseball?

That is a totally screwed up situation, and I have the utmost sympathy for your girlfriend. Too bad you have to meet that whackjob at all.

That said, for the non-religious among us, this is just the most extreme flavor of crazy and every other brand of religion that lies to the more sane side of that is still just a paler shade of crazy.

:D

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 11:14 PM)
This made me laugh. It does bring up a good (if hackneyed) point, though. Far too often people just agree with what tends to go along with their beliefs (in this case, it seems Rosie only loves Israel because she's otherwise conservative, and that's what you're "supposed" to do. Please correct me if I'm wrong), without realizing the massive amount of cognitive dissonance going on.

No, you're absolutely right. That's exactly what I was getting at. I have my personal reasons for loving Israel, and while I won't discuss them here because I don't want to turn this into an Israel vs Palestine thread, they definitely go far beyond "well I'm a conservative!" But honestly, with the obvious intolerance Rosie practices, I wouldn't be at all surprised if she actually thought Israel was a Christian nation. I just can't see her having such ardent support for a country of "Satan worshippers". The lady disowned her Catholic daughter for daring to travel abroad, for crying out loud.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 11:19 PM)
That said, for the non-religious among us, this is just the most extreme flavor of crazy and every other brand of religion that lies to the more sane side of that is still just a paler shade of crazy.

:D

I know you're joking (or I think you are, at least), but like I've said a million times on here, you can believe whatever you want. Your religion is between you and God (or the Flying Spaghetti Monster or Allah or Buddha or whoever). I don't have any problem with anyone from any religion until someone decides that stopping my religious practices is somehow core to their own beliefs. Rosie's Facebook preaching and creepy church attendance (Jenn tells me there's a Starbucks in the church lobby...WTF) are irrelevant to me until she decided to treat her first born like s*** because she chose a different path. God doesn't teach people to behave like that, at least no God that I pray to.