Catch All Anything Thread

kapkomet

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 08:49 AM)
To be totally honest, I'm just gonna assume every horrible thing I've ever heard about Detroit and avoid it entirely.

This might sound weird, but the thing I find fascinating about cities like Chicago and New York is that they're sort of...umm...Gotham-esque. Those pictures of the South Bronx, and the horror stories I've heard about Cabrini Green and the Robert Taylor Homes, all that crap happened within mere miles of beautiful, wealthy downtown areas like Manhattan and the Mag Mile. I find pictures like this one really interesting, with this girl so close yet so far.

But Detroit doesn't have any of that duality. The whole place just sucks.

I lived in Ann Arbor for 5 years and would go to Detroit for events (sports mostly) and although the stadiums may be nice and there are some really nice old buildings still left, I would guess about 75% of them (even around the sports stadiums which are all pretty close to each other except for where the Pistons play) are abandoned and falling apart. That city has so little hope to really turn it around, there just isnt the money/work there to do so. Now, the suburbs around it have a chance to make money still (Grosse Pointe, etc) but that city is to beaten down to save. The only movement that may have a chance is if artists decide to move there real cheap and start attracting different small businesses.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 08:49 AM)
To be totally honest, I'm just gonna assume every horrible thing I've ever heard about Detroit and avoid it entirely.

This might sound weird, but the thing I find fascinating about cities like Chicago and New York is that they're sort of...umm...Gotham-esque. Those pictures of the South Bronx, and the horror stories I've heard about Cabrini Green and the Robert Taylor Homes, all that crap happened within mere miles of beautiful, wealthy downtown areas like Manhattan and the Mag Mile. I find pictures like this one really interesting, with this girl so close yet so far.

But Detroit doesn't have any of that duality. The whole place just sucks.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 09:00 AM)
I lived in Ann Arbor for 5 years and would go to Detroit for events (sports mostly) and although the stadiums may be nice and there are some really nice old buildings still left, I would guess about 75% of them (even around the sports stadiums which are all pretty close to each other except for where the Pistons play) are abandoned and falling apart. That city has so little hope to really turn it around, there just isnt the money/work there to do so. Now, the suburbs around it have a chance to make money still (Grosse Pointe, etc) but that city is to beaten down to save. The only movement that may have a chance is if artists decide to move there real cheap and start attracting different small businesses.

This site has some amazing photos of abandoned buildings in Detroit.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 11:56 AM)
There are some amazing photos done of Gary in the same vein.

When I was kid, we used to pass through Gary on roadtrips to the east coast all the time. It ranked as one of the foulest smelling places I've ever encountered, and it still does. I haven't been that way in 13 years, but is that still the case?

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 06:25 PM)
When I was kid, we used to pass through Gary on roadtrips to the east coast all the time. It ranked as one of the foulest smelling places I've ever encountered, and it still does. I haven't been that way in 13 years, but is that still the case?

Most definitely.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 06:25 PM)

Not as bad, but still bad.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 17, 2011 -> 12:01 PM)
Maybe it's because I know how horrible the life is there, but I think the pictures of Pyongyang look creepy as Hell. Where are all the f***ing people?!? It seems like every picture, except for the ones of the Subways which are oddly the nicest I've ever seen, are completely desolate. I've seen pictures of highways, and monuments, and palaces, and temples, and just random streets on nice, sunny days, where there simply aren't any people. Any place in the west, such areas of town would be full of people frolicking in the sun and enjoying life. But not there (and there are 3 million people who supposedly live there). And then you've got the unfinished Ryugyong Hotel looming over the city, seemingly reminding everyone what a crappy system they live under.

I don't know what you thought that city looked like, but it's sort of as I expected. North Korea is different from say, Afghanistan, where they don't pave the roads, and they can't seem to build the buildings straight, and the people look obviously dirty and poor. North Korea seemingly tries to put on a semblance of normalcy, yet fails. It's not a dangerous place as far as I know. In fact, follow the rules and you're sure to be OK. It's more just an extreme version of Big Brother/1984. And try not to blue falcon (lostfan will know what this means) your obligatory guide.

The Vice Guide did a great documentary on the two guys getting a 'tour' of North Korea.

Vice Guide to North Korea

Probably the best 'behind the scenes' view of North Korea I've seen. They are effectively in what the Jurassic Park theme park (in the movie) was supposed to be- they're "in the wild" but really just being shown things that the North Koreans want them to see. The bit towards the end about them driving down the highway and stopping at the rest stop was crazy. Definitely worth watching.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 08:07 AM)
That's probably a good thing. I've heard he's really gone down the road of self-aggrandizement rather than what's best for the Egyptian legacy and history more and more in recent years.

I guess that means it is time to delete Chasing Mummies from the DVR.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 08:49 AM)
The Vice Guide did a great documentary on the two guys getting a 'tour' of North Korea.

Vice Guide to North Korea

Probably the best 'behind the scenes' view of North Korea I've seen. They are effectively in what the Jurassic Park theme park (in the movie) was supposed to be- they're "in the wild" but really just being shown things that the North Koreans want them to see. The bit towards the end about them driving down the highway and stopping at the rest stop was crazy. Definitely worth watching.

Nat Geo made a good documentary where they snuck in a film crew with a doctor going there to perform thousands of cataract surgeries.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 08:07 AM)
That's probably a good thing. I've heard he's really gone down the road of self-aggrandizement rather than what's best for the Egyptian legacy and history more and more in recent years.

I am really hoping the new guy allows for some more exploration of the area around the Sphinx. I'm convinced there's rooms down there.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 08:52 AM)
Nat Geo made a good documentary where they snuck in a film crew with a doctor going there to perform thousands of cataract surgeries.

That was really good. The one scene where each person in this room was going out of the way top the previous person in praise of the Dear Leader was really creepy.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 09:54 AM)
I am really hoping the new guy allows for some more exploration of the area around the Sphinx. I'm convinced there's rooms down there.

Agreed, I'd be very surprised if there was nothing else going on there. He's been a roadblock for several potential excavations in other locations as well so hopefully that no longer continues to be an issue

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 08:54 AM)

they did an episode on that. They really tried to debunk any of that.

It's weeks like this where I regret buying the top floor of a 3-flat. The A/C can't keep up with the heat and by the time I get home from work it's around 79-81 degrees in our unit. Ugh. I think I'll pick up a dehumidifier this week to help out.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 09:52 AM)
It's weeks like this where I regret buying the top floor of a 3-flat. The A/C can't keep up with the heat and by the time I get home from work it's around 79-81 degrees in our unit. Ugh. I think I'll pick up a dehumidifier this week to help out.

Cover yourself in mud.

Since the Casey Anthony thread is locked:

Software Designer Reports Error in Anthony Trial

Assertions by the prosecution that Casey Anthony conducted extensive computer searches on the word “chloroform” were based on inaccurate data, a software designer who testified at the trial said Monday.

The designer, John Bradley, said Ms. Anthony had visited what the prosecution said was a crucial Web site only once, not 84 times, as prosecutors had asserted. He came to that conclusion after redesigning his software, and immediately alerted prosecutors and the police about the mistake, he said.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000