2011 Films Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NO THIS MOVIE WILL SUCK NO MATTER WHAT BECAUSE OF CATWOMAN!

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 19, 2011 -> 05:03 PM)
He certainly showed he was capable of it with his role in Bronson.

Did you like Bronson? I wasn't a big fan, but it was ok.

EDIT: Stupid android.

Edited by knightni

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 19, 2011 -> 05:08 AM)
I guess this is Colin Firth week for me so far. A Single Man and The King's Speech. Although Love Actually, still, is my all-time favorite of his.

Has anyone seen Hereafter? The reviews were so mixed (Ebert gave it a 4), I didn't know what to expect. It's obviously a BIG topic to deal with in a movie, but I thought it was quite well-done and thought-provoking. It wasn't Gran Torino or Million Dollar Baby, but I actually enjoyed it a lot. Damon's perhaps evolving into one of the top 3-5 actors of his generation.

You can put him right up there with Bale, Russell Crowe, Depp, DiCaprio and anyone else you might care to name...Will Smith when he has the right role, too.

It was such a slow developing movie with little payoff at the end. Damon was great in it though. I've never seen him "mail in" a role like I've seen other actors at his level do. caulfield, if you liked the female lead (Cécile De France), you should check out High Tension. It's a pretty decent horror film.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 19, 2011 -> 10:15 PM)
cast shot for X Men First Class

X_Men_First_Class_Cast_Photo.jpg

Looks like the cast for a Saturday Morning live action adaptation.

Also, I'm gonna need a better pic of January Jones in that outfit, please.

Watched Blue Valentine.

Had the same feeling I did watching Reservation Road, I respected the acting performances, but it's not the kind of movie you really want to watch again.

Actually, Gosling performed in a similar lesser-known movie about the dissolution of a family and marriage (based on a real life story) called "All Good Things" with Kirsten Dunst that I enjoyed twice as much as Blue Valentine. I would still recommend anyone watch B.V., but it's not close to the movie that Half Nelson is in terms of his best performances, or even All Good Things.

Finally watched "She's Out of My League" and you can't help but root for Jay Baruchel and his "aw shucks" niceness....his character is so helpless and passive at times, but that's the whole point of the movie. The best part, at least to me, was the constant banter amongst the 3 friends who are all rooting for him while simultaneously jealous and masking their own relationship insecurities by putting up bold and brave fronts. I'm sure TSA didn't exactly appreciate their portrayal in this movie...especially the harassment of cute/hot female passengers when going through security, guess they didn't have the invasive full-body scan when this picture was wrapped or the director would have had another scene to make hilarity out of.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 20, 2011 -> 01:09 PM)
A Somali radio news broadcaster with the backdrop of some of those pirate incidents.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 20, 2011 -> 05:17 PM)
The one I watched was a comedy about a british pirate radio station in the mid 60's.

I was completely f***ing around. I know what the movie is about and just made the other description up.

Saw Dinner for Schmucks, I remember at least one or two posters here really didn't like that movie....but actually thought it wasn't bad at all, and definitely not a Steve Carell fan (unless it's offbeat like Little Miss Sunshine or Life of Dan).

Really like Paul Rudd, Role Models and I Love You, Man are two of my favorite comedies of the last 5 years or so. If I remember correctly, he was also in Knocked Up, too. I know Katherine Heigl has a lot of haters these days (because of her movies and her "attitude" in interviews and a few controversial issues with Grey's Anatomy)....but I liked Knocked Up, and I'm really getting bored with Seth Rogen.

The only thing I liked about Green Hornet was Cameron Diaz (horribly underutilized) and his tech-savvy sidekick, the famous Chinese singer Jay Chou. Christopher Waltz from Inglorious Basterds was a barely tolerable villain, seems like the role was way underwritten and he was trying to hard to force it, but not good at all. Definitely not the type of movie you pay $10 to see.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 09:53 AM)
Finally gonna see Black Swan today. As great as I have heard it is, I have been hesitant to see it for some reason.

As am I, actually. I've already hunted down the best scene I imagine, but I hear the movie is a trip and I'm excited to see it play out.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 10:10 AM)
Saw Dinner for Schmucks, I remember at least one or two posters here really didn't like that movie....but actually thought it wasn't bad at all, and definitely not a Steve Carell fan (unless it's offbeat like Little Miss Sunshine or Life of Dan).

Really like Paul Rudd, Role Models and I Love You, Man are two of my favorite comedies of the last 5 years or so. If I remember correctly, he was also in Knocked Up, too. I know Katherine Heigl has a lot of haters these days (because of her movies and her "attitude" in interviews and a few controversial issues with Grey's Anatomy)....but I liked Knocked Up, and I'm really getting bored with Seth Rogen.

The only thing I liked about Green Hornet was Cameron Diaz (horribly underutilized) and his tech-savvy sidekick, the famous Chinese singer Jay Chou. Christopher Waltz from Inglorious Basterds was a barely tolerable villain, seems like the role was way underwritten and he was trying to hard to force it, but not good at all. Definitely not the type of movie you pay $10 to see.

I assume you mean "dan in real life." If so, all I can say is that that movie was absolutely terrible. Borderline unwatchable for me.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 02:00 PM)
I REALLY loved Inception.

LOVED.

LOVED.

LOVED.

That is all.

Meh, overrated IMO. Good, but not outstanding. Poor character development. I watched it a second time last week and really grew to hate all of the Mal/Cobb parts. Still don't understand how his sub-conscious can infect other peoples dreams. I enjoyed the South Park spin on it - just because you have a complex/confusing idea masked by really cool visuals (and music - ba ba ba ba ba baaaaaaa) doesn't make the movie great.

Also, finally got to see The Town. I'd give it a B. Kept me entertained, but just a story without much impact. The Boston accents were fawkin brutal brah. Affleck's were weak in some scenes and fawkin ovah that tawp in othahs. Same with Blake Lively's character. Hamm had the best line when he was in the interrogation room and he mimicked Affleck's accent. Also did not care for the ending. Not much of a payoff for a jagbag character with little to no redeeming qualities.

As I was watching "Black Swan", I was like, "What is the big deal?" The direction was good, Portman was fine but didn't get all the love....

....Than the final act came and it blew me away. Maybe one of the best final acts of the year. Portman's transformation was tremendous and while it isn't my best movie of the year, if anyone but Aronofsky wins best director, I will riot. Just the complete package of film making.

i thought aronofski hamfisted it, which isn't a surprise. He could have relied on Portman's great performance to merely show she was turning into the blackswan character...he had to actually show us HEY HEY GUYS DO YOU GET IT SHE'S TURNING INTO THE SWAN!? SEE THE FEATHERS!!!

That and the script he wrote was just so obviously written by a dude. That mom-daughter relationship was just boring.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 04:07 PM)
i thought aronofski hamfisted it, which isn't a surprise. He could have relied on Portman's great performance to merely show she was turning into the blackswan character...he had to actually show us HEY HEY GUYS DO YOU GET IT SHE'S TURNING INTO THE SWAN!? SEE THE FEATHERS!!!

That and the script he wrote was just so obviously written by a dude. That mom-daughter relationship was just boring.

I figured it was her believing she was actually becoming a swan in her head and imagination, just like all the other wierd stuff that happened. Maybe just me.

The mother/daughter thing was creepy but a mom trying to live vicariously through their child is nothing new. We see it in sports all the time.