Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords shot in head

Balta1701

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 06:23 PM)
General question...how is an attempted assassination of a political figure somehow an apolitical event?

If it was based on some credible evidence sure. Simply making up s*** like "oh, well Palin is a polarizing figure so she's the cause of him snapping" shortly after the tragedy occurred is ridiculous.

And yes, "more" killing. Provide me with one reason why this guy should live. He's the perfect example of why the death penalty should still be around.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 07:30 PM)
If it was based on some credible evidence sure. Simply making up s*** like "oh, well Palin is a polarizing figure so she's the cause of him snapping" shortly after the tragedy occurred is ridiculous.

And yes, "more" killing. Provide me with one reason why this guy should live. He's the perfect example of why the death penalty should still be around.

Taking revenge on the mentally ill makes you feel good?

Since you said "on the first page" and I'm the one that pointed it out...I'm going to assume the quote there is a shot at me.

I explicitly avoided saying she's the cause of him snapping. Instead, I said she's the person who made an off-color joke about to you right after your family member was in a car accident. There's a reason why you don't say things like that publicly; even if you're not encouraging it, if you make the joke and then it happens...you look like a jackass.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 06:34 PM)
Taking revenge on the mentally ill makes you feel good?

Since you said "on the first page" and I'm the one that pointed it out...I'm going to assume the quote there is a shot at me.

I explicitly avoided saying she's the cause of him snapping. Instead, I said she's the person who made an off-color joke about to you right after your family member was in a car accident. There's a reason why you don't say things like that publicly; even if you're not encouraging it, if you make the joke and then it happens...you look like a jackass.

So mentally ill he committed pre-meditated murder of multiple people in public. Yep, sure sounds like someone who should be locked up in a cell for the rest of his life and saved of his illness. GMAFB.

It was directed at your comments, as well as others. You used it as an opportunity to s*** on her, and you know it. "I'm not saying, i'm just saying."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 06:23 PM)
General question...how is an attempted assassination of a political figure somehow an apolitical event?

Because it should take common sense to realize that in the minutes following a tragedy, you shouldn't already be trying to exploit it for your personal gain. No one has said never, but good god, the bullets had hardly stopped flying before people started picking their favorite people to blame for this. I don't see how anyone could feel that somebodies else's horrific loss should be fair game for your own gain.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 07:49 PM)
Because it should take common sense to realize that in the minutes following a tragedy, you shouldn't already be trying to exploit it for your personal gain. No one has said never, but good god, the bullets had hardly stopped flying before people started picking their favorite people to blame for this. I don't see how anyone could feel that somebodies else's horrific loss should be fair game for your own gain.

GIVE ME ONE PERSON WHO HAS DONE THAT!

they're pointing out that Palin had her in cross hairs on a map. of course it's just coincidental, but what everyone is talking about is the CLIMATE that that kind of thing creates. Not one person has said it's Palins FAULT this happened. And not one person I've heard has tried to spin it for political gain.

EDIT: For the record, my first post was a knee-jerk reaction from which I've receded. So you can say I did if you want, but if you use me, I want another one too. :)

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 07:18 PM)
man, reading this thread from page 1 made me almost as sick as hearing the news of this tragedy. Agree with those who say we should be concerned for the victims and their families. f*** the people who brought politics into this. Dude was insane. Period. Barney the dinosaur could have set him off, doesn't mean anyone else is responsible. I hope he has his public trial and is put to death immediately.

let me put this simply so you understand. Insane people also have reasons for taking action. Whether those reasons make sense to us is irrelevant. You're suggesting we shouldn't look for the reasons, simply because he's insane.

You do realize how idiotic that is, correct?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 07:42 PM)
GIVE ME ONE PERSON WHO HAS DONE THAT!

they're pointing out that Palin had her in cross hairs on a map. of course it's just coincidental, but what everyone is talking about is the CLIMATE that that kind of thing creates. Not one person has said it's Palins FAULT this happened. And not one person I've heard has tried to spin it for political gain.

EDIT: For the record, my first post was a knee-jerk reaction from which I've receded. So you can say I did if you want, but if you use me, I want another one too. :)

Oh don't feed me that line of crap. You can't use specific people and then say it is just the climate. If you are picking on one ideology, you are still blaming one side or another for your own political points.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 07:44 PM)
So mentally ill he committed pre-meditated murder of multiple people in public. Yep, sure sounds like someone who should be locked up in a cell for the rest of his life and saved of his illness. GMAFB.

It was directed at your comments, as well as others. You used it as an opportunity to s*** on her, and you know it. "I'm not saying, i'm just saying."

Who exactly is better off if this person is dead?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 06:49 PM)
Because it should take common sense to realize that in the minutes following a tragedy, you shouldn't already be trying to exploit it for your personal gain.

The personal gain is a political climate where putting someone in the crosshairs would not be tolerated. Sorry you do not support that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 08:27 PM)
Oh don't feed me that line of crap. You can't use specific people and then say it is just the climate. If you are picking on one ideology, you are still blaming one side or another for your own political points.

Will you join me in condemning *any* and *all* politicians who tolerates or encourages this kind of hateful climate?

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 08:37 PM)
The personal gain is a political climate where putting someone in the crosshairs would not be tolerated. Sorry you do not support that.

If you need to have your side validated by somebody else's body count, that is fine. I'm sorry you support that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 08:40 PM)
If you need to have your side validated by somebody else's body count, that is fine. I'm sorry you support that.

My side is we need to ratchet down the rhetoric to a level that actual will allow for cooperation and lesson the "sides". No validation, just sick of the hate and the who cares what is best for America as long as the other side loses. Bush sucks so Dems want him (and by extension the country) to fail. The GOP wants Obama to fail so they can say I told you so. I think that is wrong.

Are you really defending ads with gun targets?

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 09:45 PM)
My side is we need to ratchet down the rhetoric to a level that actual will allow for cooperation and lesson the "sides". No validation, just sick of the hate and the who cares what is best for America as long as the other side loses. Bush sucks so Dems want him (and by extension the country) to fail. The GOP wants Obama to fail so they can say I told you so. I think that is wrong.

Are you really defending ads with gun targets?

pretty amazing huh?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 08:40 PM)

A lot of this 'climate of hate' is being created by the Democrats. Just look at their opportunistic and slanderous rhetoric after this tragedy. They need to need to tone it down numerous notches.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 10:15 PM)
A lot of this 'climate of hate' is being created by the Democrats. Just look at their opportunistic and slanderous rhetoric after this tragedy. They need to need to tone it down numerous notches.

aaaare you kidding me?

people who view the world like you do are the reason i've been becoming more and more apathetic to politics in the last couple years. it's literally like banging your head against a wall repeatedly. (and yes I do mean literally).

Some more updates:

The complaint alleges that a safe at Loughner's home contained a note from Rep. Giffords, thanking him for attending a "Congress at your corner" event, the same type of public meeting where Saturday's shooter occurred.

Another envelope in the safe had the phrases "I planned ahead," "my assassination" and "Giffords," as well as a signature that the complaint says appears to belong to Loughner.

Via