Super Bowl XLV Thread

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Pittsburgh Steelers are the model franchise in all of sports in my mind. The Yanks have always had the money to spend and the large market. In a league of hard cap aprity they are always right there.

Look at the success the Steelers have had. Hell in the last ten years they can go toe to toe with Pats and the 30 before that, forget about it.

They are what the Raiders could have been.

I think they are grossly underrated and the Rooney's are the reason why.

3 coaches in the last 40 years.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 10:15 AM)
The Pittsburgh Steelers are the model franchise in all of sports in my mind. The Yanks have always had the money to spend and the large market. In a league of hard cap aprity they are always right there.

Look at the success the Steelers have had. Hell in the last ten years they can go toe to toe with Pats and the 30 before that, forget about it.

They are what the Raiders could have been.

I think they are grossly underrated and the Rooney's are the reason why.

3 coaches in the last 40 years.

Stop rubbing it in.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 10:29 AM)
He didnt carry his team past the Bears whatsoever, their defense did.

I agree. Granted, he's a very good quarterback, and much of the Packers success this year was because of him. But to say he carried the team to the Superbowl isn't accurate. The Packers defense beat the Bears (and the Bears helped by trying to beat themselves).

I think the Superbowl is going to be a good one. Two great quarterbacks who can get away from tackles and extend plays, two good running games, and two great defenses. Should be low-scoring, but a combined 45 points or so isn't out of the question.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 05:30 PM)
How are the defenses not comparable? You couldn't find two more comparable defenses.

Pittsburgh's defense, especially run defense, is head and shoulders above the rest of the league. They're 1 and 2 in scoring defense, but pittsburgh is well ahead of GB in yards given up.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 04:36 PM)
Pittsburgh's defense, especially run defense, is head and shoulders above the rest of the league. They're 1 and 2 in scoring defense, but pittsburgh is well ahead of GB in yards given up.

How many of those yards given up by GB are after they've gone up by 20 points and start playing prevent?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 05:37 PM)
How many of those yards given up by GB are after they've gone up by 20 points and start playing prevent?

Green Bay scored 24.3 points per game this year, Pittsburgh 23.4 points per game, so presumably...not that many more than the Steelers.

They are both one and two in sacks and points given up. They are also both top 5 in takeaways. Pittsburgh is better against the run. Green Bay is better against the pass. Pittsburgh has a scary safety with long hair, Green Bay has a scary linebacker with long hair.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 05:49 PM)
They are both one and two in sacks and points given up. They are also both top 5 in takeaways. Pittsburgh is better against the run. Green Bay is better against the pass. Pittsburgh has a scary safety with long hair, Green Bay has a scary linebacker with long hair.

But...they were missing that scary long-haired safety for a chunk of the year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 05:43 PM)
SI cover Jinx for the packers and the "Fearless" Aaron Rogers who "carried" the Packers to the superbowl.

Seriously, thats what it says.

If anything, their D is the reason why they are there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 06:56 PM)
But...they were missing that scary long-haired safety for a chunk of the year.

It's usually tough for any non-QB/RB to win the MVP award, but if there is anybody who deserves consideration, it's that scary long-haired safety. In the games he misses, there is an extremely noticeable decline in that defense.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 28, 2011 -> 10:32 AM)
The reason the Packers are in the Super Bowl is because they have a great D and a great QB.

Yep. Their D beat the Bears, and their QB had a big hand in destroying the Falcons. I believe the QBs of both teams will be scrambling quite a bit, and both of them have the ability to extend the play. I'd expect both of them to have games that don't look great on paper but are actually quite good because of the sacks they'll avoid.