Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 02:30 PM)
Thanks Rock. The penalties were about what I expected. Relying on precedent is dangerous because there are always differences in each case. For example, Alabama didn't even get the FTM or LOIC charge and got a two year bowl ban. From a big picture perspective, these penalties aren't something OSU can't work around fairly easily so while they seem harsh, I'm thinking they shouldn't sweat it.

In my mind (which is pure opinion) the following are what made OSU's penalties stiffer than what they expected.

-- Being a relatively recent previous offender. I'm not sure if they fell into "repeat offender" status, but you can't tell me it doesn't weigh on a committee's collective mind. The committee is made up of humans, not a mysterious beast called the NCAA.

-- The feeling there was more but there were people that did not cooperate. I don't think they overtly give stronger penalties for this because they can only go by the evidence in front of them, but I don't buy that it does not affect one's subconsious at least a little.

-- Real or not, but perceived arrogance by OSU in the process. Gene Smith's repeated statements about it being isolated and not an institutional problem only to have new stuff come out. I'm not saying everyone in the university knew or participated, but my question is, how could he be so sure? Obviously he was wrong.

-- The deception by Tressell.

-- A new NCAA President who has already called for harsher penalties. OSU gets caught in the crossfire of bad timing here.

Lastly, I wouldn't be so sure that opting out of a bowl this year would leave them free and clear next year. Using this year to OSU's advantage may have been perceived as weak and not substantial enough and a two year ban could have been imposed. It may not have, but I have to think that when a school self-imposes penalties which are deemed not severe or perceived as strategic to lessen the blow, humans will take that into consideration. Now if OSU was 10-2 and going to a BCS game this year and self-imposed, that would be different.

All of the above may not be accurate, but it seems reasonable to think it could be.

It was said the repeat offender status from O'brien was what put them over the edge. That seems fair actually.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 02:18 PM)
He got what he deserves, that moron could have saved alot of trouble by forwarding some emails. Idiot. This is like the O'brien situation when Matta came in, new era, hopefully cleaner.

I hope so. I think a strong Michigan and Ohio State are good for the Big Ten and college football. The conference seems to take a hit nationally when one or both are down.

That said, I'm not sure how much faith I have in Meyer being cleaner. It may not be fair, but he has always seemed like a used car salesman to me. I just don't trust him. Granted, he's a good used car salesman in terms of recruiting. If he does it cleanly, I think it's great for the conference.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 02:35 PM)
Maybe someday Buckeye fans will quit acting like Penn State fans when it comes to their coaches doing wrong.

I know right? I clearly think Tressel didnt do anything wrong, despite what I have posted (which is the exact opposite). Thanks for the analysis.

I especially like the comparison to repeated child rape.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)
I hope so. I think a strong Michigan and Ohio State are good for the Big Ten and college football. The conference seems to take a hit nationally when one or both are down.

That said, I'm not sure how much faith I have in Meyer being cleaner. It may not be fair, but he has always seemed like a used car salesman to me. I just don't trust him. Granted, he's a good used car salesman in terms of recruiting. If he does it cleanly, I think it's great for the conference.

You know how I feel about Urban, but I can give him that he's come out and said the right things regarding the sanctions. I can deal with him being a slimy recruiter as long as he keeps the program as clean as can be.

I wonder if RG3 season and hype had anything to do with Barkley staying. Before the season he was thought of as the 2nd best QB prospect. Now he might be viewed as the 3rd prospect and that might drop him out of the top 10, depending on needs of teams.

If USC doesn't have the bowl ban, Barkley is gone. But after winning in Eugene, I think he realizes they can make a run at the BCS championship, which they couldnt this year. Plus, if you family does well and you buy a $5 million insurance policy you can protect against injury. Not to mention the strange in LA is much better than in Cleveland, St Louis, Jacksonville, etc.

Mizzou's first SEC slate:

September 8: Georgia

September 22: at South Carolina

October 6: Vanderbilt

October 13: Alabama

October 27: Kentucky

November 3: at Florida

November 10: at Tennessee

November 24: at Texas A&M

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 28, 2011 -> 10:36 AM)
Mizzou's first SEC slate:

September 8: Georgia

September 22: at South Carolina

October 6: Vanderbilt

October 13: Alabama

October 27: Kentucky

November 3: at Florida

November 10: at Tennessee

November 24: at Texas A&M

welcome to thunderdome