2011 Twins talent vs. White Sox talent

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 29, 2011 -> 01:54 PM)
LOL. Sure man, I MUST? Haha why must I? What a joke of a statement. Anyways, weird assumptions aside, I think WAR is useless comparing players with different skill sets. Actually, I think it's useless in general, but I guess it's a decent summary if for some reason ranking players excites you.

We all know Juan was great on the catching part of defense last year. We also all know that he will be with a different team next year for the 6th time in his career; probably for the same 2-3 years that teams generally tolerate him for until they desire a corner OF with even a smidge of extra base power.

I don't hate Juan Pierre as I don't hate any player, but he is what he is. Anybody can see that. That's why teams let him go. That's why he got benched for two years of his prime. Who cares about his range

Wow, seriously, you're clueless about defense.

You tell me that my statement was a joke when you go on and ramble on about how range doesn't mean anything for an outfielder?

Plus, Pierre got benched for one season and that was his age 31 season, the year that is usually the last year of a player's prime. When Juan was in his prime, he was a good player for Florida. I'd say he's still somewhere around an average player right now near his mid-30s.

Believe whatever you want about WAR, but you don't have to go and try to insult others for using it. Maybe you should, you know, look into it before you start making fun of it. It'll make you less ignorant.

Edited by chw42

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 29, 2011 -> 03:06 PM)
Wow, seriously, you're clueless about defense.

You tell me that my statement was a joke when you go on and ramble on about how range doesn't mean anything for an outfielder?

Plus, Pierre got benched for one season and that was his age 31 season, the year that is usually the last year of a player's prime. When Juan was in his prime, he was a good player for Florida. I'd say he's still somewhere around an average player right now near his mid-30s.

Believe whatever you want about WAR, but you don't have to go and try to insult others for using it. Maybe you should, you know, look into it before you start making fun of it. It'll make you less ignorant.

I didn't say range doesn't mean anything. The original point was that plus offense trumps range. We're playing CQ in right and his range is horrible. Like Balta said, ManRoid's offense was way more important to the Dodgers than Juan Pierre's range...no? That's all I'm saying. Then you put words in my mouth saying I like bad range but diving catches? Just because I said I'd take DYoung over JP? That's just a weird conclusion from my post. Who doesn't want an outfielder with plus range, ya know?

I think dwar is cool man, but only for lack of anything else. owar isn't for me, as i'd rather look at the different stats and come to my own conclusion.

No need to fight brother, i just don't get why you had to say I hate good range. That's like saying someone doesn't like guys who hit the baseball hard and often.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 29, 2011 -> 05:32 PM)
Much as I loathe Juan's Pierre's game, even I can give him his due for his excellent range. Though I will say I think playing in a smaller ballpark compared to Dodger stadium made him look a little better than he really is.

Yea, he looked REALLY good out there last year. He's always busting his rump whether it's in the field or in the box or on the bases. But I, like any other GM, would gladly take a true corner outfielder over him, especially in our park. Is what it is and I'll root for him.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 29, 2011 -> 05:54 PM)
Yea, he looked REALLY good out there last year. He's always busting his rump whether it's in the field or in the box or on the bases. But I, like any other GM, would gladly take a true corner outfielder over him, especially in our park. Is what it is and I'll root for him.

Oh, I agree there. Give me above average offense and mediocre defense over below average offense and above average defense any day.

I assume knightni is referring to me, and I think my post was deleted.

My bad. I bartend and have a rare night off. I'm hammered. I thought it was funny though. Anyways.... in my mind, a name as lame as White SUX deserves banning in itself. At least have an ounce of respect/cleverness. Twins fans are like early 90's Cub fans. I don't know where they came from, but they're brutal and I just want them to leave.

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 03:49 AM)
I assume knightni is referring to me, and I think my post was deleted.

My bad. I bartend and have a rare night off. I'm hammered. I thought it was funny though. Anyways.... in my mind, a name as lame as White SUX deserves banning in itself. At least have an ounce of respect/cleverness. Twins fans are like early 90's Cub fans. I don't know where they came from, but they're brutal and I just want them to leave.

I don't think you understand quite how much the cold weather saps intellectual knowledge. I was actually going to attend Harvard until I had to shovel snow 5 times a week in North Dakota. Then I ended up going to school in South Dakota.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 01:59 PM)
I don't think you understand quite how much the cold weather saps intellectual knowledge. I was actually going to attend Harvard until I had to shovel snow 5 times a week in North Dakota. Then I ended up going to school in South Dakota.

Not to get off topic, but Wite do you know anything about Black Hills State College? My friend just decided a few months ago to transfer there (he wants to work outside and was interested in their Park Ranger program).

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 01:01 PM)
Not to get off topic, but Wite do you know anything about Black Hills State College? My friend just decided a few months ago to transfer there (he wants to work outside and was interested in their Park Ranger program).

Yeah, it's an OK school...if I had to guess, I would say the 5th or 6th best school in the state. Being a biased alumni, I think you get the best college experience at USD, but from what I understand, BHSU offers similar classes, just without the pedigree.

I'm not sure about how the Park Ranger or anything along that goes, but I did have a friend who worked out in Hot Springs this past summer and I was out there this summer too (and it's absolutely gorgeous). Being out there will present much better opportunities though.

If he didn't - I'm sure he did - I would suggest that he do some research on the South Dakota School of Mines too. It's much more of an academic institution than the typical college experience, but my understanding is that they have the 2nd best science program in the state (behind USD) and that there is actually some scientific work that is done right inside the Hills themselves.

Plus as an added bonus your buddy will be able to catch all of the Twinkies games since they have Fox Sports North. :bringit

QUOTE (WhiteSUX @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 05:13 PM)
Plus as an added bonus your buddy will be able to catch all of the Twinkies games since they have Fox Sports North. :bringit

Yeah Dick and Bert are pretty awful. They were talking about Delmon Young as an MVP candidate last year. Atleast stories about golf and b****ing about the umpiring crew don't involve blatant homerism like that.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 08:35 PM)
Yeah Dick and Bert are pretty awful. They were talking about Delmon Young as an MVP candidate last year. Atleast stories about golf and b****ing about the umpiring crew don't involve blatant homerism like that.

If it were up to Hawk, Carlos Gomez might have gotten an MVP at some point.

QUOTE (WhiteSUX @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 05:13 PM)

Your half-hearted, gutless trolling is pathetic. You came here with the name WhiteSux and started out like you wanted to talk s*** on your way to a banning, but then you got cold feet and tried to start a baseball conversation. Now it's this little slappy s***. Either grow a set and throw a punch like a real troll or change your retarded name and talk baseball.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 08:18 PM)
Your half-hearted, gutless trolling is pathetic. You came here with the name WhiteSux and started out like you wanted to talk s*** on your way to a banning, but then you got cold feet and tried to start a baseball conversation. Now it's this little slappy s***. Either grow a set and throw a punch like a real troll or change your retarded name and talk baseball.

Give 'em hell, KHP!!!