Snowmageddon 2011

Brian

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 09:49 AM)
2003 we got 3 feet of lake effect two days before Christmas. The crazy thing was 3.5 miles down the road at my in-laws, they only had a foot. The worst was the 1998 blizzard that shutdown I-94 and the south shore for the better part of a week. That one was massive.

'98 was the worst I went through during my 20+ years in that area.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom Skilling

We've checked the records--there have been only five 16"+ snowstorms in 126 years of weather records here---22 storms which have yielded 12" or more. Thanks to colleague Richard Koeneman for breaking this out for us! Morning model runs keep us on track for a big snow!

The difference between us and Chicago? We have two of those 16"+already in the last month and a half.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 12:28 PM)
The difference between us and Chicago? We have two of those 16"+already in the last month and a half.

The lake just dumps snow on you. Alot of people dont understand how much SW Mich and NE indiana gets crapped on by snow.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 01:28 PM)
I'd never though the possibility of a snow day in college would be...realistic.

Apparently, there could be up to 2 feet of snow here in Urbana.

I think I had 3 or 4 of them at ISU in Normal. Central Illinois gets some nasty ice storms.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 01:37 PM)
Put me in the Ill believe it when I see it category.

Even though I created this category, knowing I'll use it over the next 2.5 months or so I did just run and pick up an extra shovel and 3 bags of salt.

Just in case.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 11:00 AM)
'98 was the worst I went through during my 20+ years in that area.

I vaguely remember the 1977/8 run. I was just turned 4 years old, and I remember the snow being WAY taller than me. Walking down the side way was a dark tunnel almost. 1998, I remember well as I still worked at Lighthouse Place and those bastards stayed open despite a snow emergency and risk of being arrested if out on the streets for non-essential travel.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 01:54 PM)
I think I had 3 or 4 of them at ISU in Normal. Central Illinois gets some nasty ice storms.

I went to U of I in 07 when we had those 2 snow days . It was an awesome experience to see everyone just walking in the middle of the streets in the middle of the day.........and murphy's was PACKED.

QUOTE (SnB @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 02:45 PM)
I went to U of I in 07 when we had those 2 snow days . It was an awesome experience to see everyone just walking in the middle of the streets in the middle of the day.........and murphy's was PACKED.

Yeah that is the storm I really remember. Those two days may be my favorite days I had in college. IAMPABLOOZUNA and a couple of our friends sat around playing NBA on NBC for PS1 and drinking all day.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 02:55 PM)
I'l admit ignorance here... what makes salt pet friendly? What is the negative impact of the stuff that isn't?

My dogs feet with crack and bleed all over and she'll then lick the wound and ingest the salt. Think of how painful it would ne if you stuck your foot in salt until it cracked and bled. Ouch.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 03:15 PM)
My dogs feet with crack and bleed all over and she'll then lick the wound and ingest the salt. Think of how painful it would ne if you stuck your foot in salt until it cracked and bled. Ouch.

I don't have a sidewalk in front of my house. Just a walk to my driveway. My dogs stay in the house and/or backyard.

Regular salt for me. :D

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 03:15 PM)

Makes sense, but, how is the pet-friendly salt any different?

I read Steve's linked article, but it just talks about the dangers of de-icing salt.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 04:43 PM)
Makes sense, but, how is the pet-friendly salt any different?

I read Steve's linked article, but it just talks about the dangers of de-icing salt.

One type I just found via googling is an Amide/Glycol mixture. Lots of organic molecules dissolve in water but they won't produce the same reaction on skin as salts. The freezing point depression effect comes about solely through the number of molecules of something dissolving in the water, so the melting effect (to first order) doesn't care about which molecules you use, only that they're water soluble.