*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

I've got a perhaps really dumb question...let's face it, all my posts in this thread have been dumb....I've got some old school dumbbells where you load the weight yourself, can I put a 25 on one side and a 15 on the other? tried doing 25s on both and I can only do a few reps when trying the overhead press. I don't have 4 20s otherwise I'm sure I can rep those out.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 06:17 PM)
I've got a perhaps really dumb question...let's face it, all my posts in this thread have been dumb....I've got some old school dumbbells where you load the weight yourself, can I put a 25 on one side and a 15 on the other? tried doing 25s on both and I can only do a few reps when trying the overhead press. I don't have 4 20s otherwise I'm sure I can rep those out.

I'm not an expert on this specific question, but I'd strongly advise against it. I feel as though uneven weight distribution wouldn't really lead to anything good. It would be very likely that you can hurt your form when working out with an uneven distribution. And I'm sure that the uneven weight would effect the muscle group you're trying to target.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 12:54 AM)
I'm not an expert on this specific question, but I'd strongly advise against it. I feel as though uneven weight distribution wouldn't really lead to anything good. It would be very likely that you can hurt your form when working out with an uneven distribution. And I'm sure that the uneven weight would effect the muscle group you're trying to target.

Pretty much this.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 10:27 AM)
ok. Started another round of p90X since its been awhile and ive let myself take a long rest.

Day 2 was yesterday and today, well, can barely walk. Had to pause 3 times during plyo. S+A tonight with some ab ripper

Apparently P90X3 just came out. Looks like it's a return to a lot of the things in the original, but the workouts have been reduced to about 30 minutes each.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 05:17 PM)

Kind of related, but if you can only do a few reps with 50 lbs, I would stick to the 30s anyways. I prefer to do higher rep sets (15-20) when working shoulders. It's very easy to lose good form when working shoulders, and consequently very easy to injure them. Of all the muscle groups, it's probably the one you want to push the least.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 12:57 PM)
Kind of related, but if you can only do a few reps with 50 lbs, I would stick to the 30s anyways. I prefer to do higher rep sets (15-20) when working shoulders. It's very easy to lose good form when working shoulders, and consequently very easy to injure them. Of all the muscle groups, it's probably the one you want to push the least.

And if you mess up your shoulders, more than a lot of other muscle groups, you lose a lot of ability to get functional workouts.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 11:35 AM)
Apparently P90X3 just came out. Looks like it's a return to a lot of the things in the original, but the workouts have been reduced to about 30 minutes each.

So, forget everything we taught you in P90X and P90X2 -- we were wrong.

Buy 3, we're right now.

Until 4 comes out. Then 3 will be wrong and you should buy 4.

P90X is a great workout -- but the versions are just becoming a scam at this point.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 09:26 AM)

Buy 3, we're right now.

P90X is a great workout -- but the versions are just becoming a scam at this point.

You are better off buying or borrowing the program from someone else. Beachbody continued charging me for these stupid vitamins for the Insanity workout long after I'd bought the program. I received a call from their credit department saying that I had to pay it or I'd be sent to collections. I told them I hadn't even received a goddamn bill. I paid it and told them I'd never buy another product from them (and then received the bill 2 days later...apparently it's kosher to call people on those things 1 day after you send a bill out, because people typically get their bills 1 day after it's sent out).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 09:32 AM)
You are better off buying or borrowing the program from someone else. Beachbody continued charging me for these stupid vitamins for the Insanity workout long after I'd bought the program. I received a call from their credit department saying that I had to pay it or I'd be sent to collections. I told them I hadn't even received a goddamn bill. I paid it and told them I'd never buy another product from them (and then received the bill 2 days later...apparently it's kosher to call people on those things 1 day after you send a bill out, because people typically get their bills 1 day after it's sent out).

Most people I know that do P90X (any of them), borrowed them from someone else.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 07:26 AM)

Buy 3, we're right now.

Hah, they are what they are. I enjoy P90X and X2 are both outstanding...and for what I've gotten out of them, they were well worth the money I spent.

I was hesitant to buy this one, but I enjoy the variety and the 30 minutes appealed to me.

I'll let you guys know my thoughts once I start.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 14, 2013 -> 07:28 PM)
Hah, they are what they are. I enjoy P90X and X2 are both outstanding...and for what I've gotten out of them, they were well worth the money I spent.

I was hesitant to buy this one, but I enjoy the variety and the 30 minutes appealed to me.

They will work just like any other home workout will work -- IF you do them.

If having to buy a new home workout once a year is what you have to do in order to stay motivated to actually do the workouts, then that's what you need to do. But they will most likely do nothing more for you than P90X versionZERO wasn't already doing.

In the end, regardless of workout, you will get out of it what you put into it.

I just see no need to keep buying new things that accomplish the same thing as the old thing you already paid for.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been stuck between 200-205 for a few months now. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but my goal for a while has been to get between 215-220 by putting on some muscle, but it just hasn't been working for me.

My work schedule is totally screwing me, and I don't eat nearly as much as I need to be. It's frustrating.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 26, 2013 -> 01:52 AM)
I've been stuck between 200-205 for a few months now. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but my goal for a while has been to get between 215-220 by putting on some muscle, but it just hasn't been working for me.

My work schedule is totally screwing me, and I don't eat nearly as much as I need to be. It's frustrating.

Better than having the opposite problem. ;)

Just keep eating, man. And kill the cardio if you've been doing that.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 14, 2013 -> 07:28 PM)

Have you started this yet, shack? I'm no longer working at a gym and haven't gotten a new membership yet so I'm debating on grabbing this or ddp yoga. My dad has a solid home gym(bench, dumbells, treadmill, speed bag, heavy bag) that I can mooch off probably a few times a week but I want to be able to do something at my apartment as well.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 26, 2013 -> 02:55 AM)
Have you started this yet, shack? I'm no longer working at a gym and haven't gotten a new membership yet so I'm debating on grabbing this or ddp yoga. My dad has a solid home gym(bench, dumbells, treadmill, speed bag, heavy bag) that I can mooch off probably a few times a week but I want to be able to do something at my apartment as well.

Not yet, been swamped with work...hoping to start shortly after the 1st. I'll let you know.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 26, 2013 -> 06:55 AM)

I got DDP yoga, and a yoga mat yesterday.....When do I add yoga into a weekly routine?

I also got 4 20lb plates as well, so now I have enough weight to work in dumbell exercises and barbell exercises without having to keep taking off and adding weight to one or the other.

My home gym now features all the above, a swiss ball, a heavy bag, a stationery bike with the swinging arms, resistance cords, and a tractor tire.

Anyone bored enough care to throw together a weekly routine for me?

(my bench doesn't incline or decline)

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 26, 2013 -> 12:58 PM)
I got DDP yoga, and a yoga mat yesterday.....When do I add yoga into a weekly routine?

I also got 4 20lb plates as well, so now I have enough weight to work in dumbell exercises and barbell exercises without having to keep taking off and adding weight to one or the other.

My home gym now features all the above, a swiss ball, a heavy bag, a stationery bike with the swinging arms, resistance cords, and a tractor tire.

Take the tractor tire outside and swing a sledgehammer to it for an hour a day, alternating sides.

Do that 7 days a week.

Done.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 26, 2013 -> 12:58 PM)

It's very hard to throw together a workout routine for a person without knowing a bit about them. Their diet/goals/body type/metabolism/etc, are all important factors to consider when tailoring a workout regime for someone.

Also of note, since you mentioned it, decline bench presses do nothing but put undue stress on your shoulder joints while creating an inefficient angle. Decline presses do NOT target your lower chest as many believe. They're unnecessary.

Do one of the longer/more advanced DDPYoga workouts on days you don't lift, and on days you do lift, if you want a little extra kick do one of the shorter workouts.

Now, if you told me your goals, or areas you want to develop better, I can probably give you a few tips with the equipment you have available to help you out.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 27, 2013 -> 11:11 AM)
It's very hard to throw together a workout routine for a person without knowing a bit about them. Their diet/goals/body type/metabolism/etc, are all important factors to consider when tailoring a workout regime for someone.

Also of note, since you mentioned it, decline bench presses do nothing but put undue stress on your shoulder joints while creating an inefficient angle. Decline presses do NOT target your lower chest as many believe. They're unnecessary.

Do one of the longer/more advanced DDPYoga workouts on days you don't lift, and on days you do lift, if you want a little extra kick do one of the shorter workouts.

Now, if you told me your goals, or areas you want to develop better, I can probably give you a few tips with the equipment you have available to help you out.

My diet is open for changes, since it's been rather nonexistent the last few months. My goals are basically to lose boat loads of weight while maintaining muscle and gaining overall endurance. Since I stopped playing rugby a few years ago I've done close to no cardio. Body type is BIG lol I've gone from 370 4 years ago, played 2 years of rugby and got down to 260, then since then I've got back up to 330, maybe 340 after the holidays. My Metabolism is god awful, you'd think with the rapid weight gain I'd be spending tons of time in the buffet/fast food line but that's just not true.

I just pointed out the incline/decline note because there were some workouts I've messed around with in the past that included incline movements.

EDIT- Also just now bought some battling rope.

Edited by scs787

Alright workout guys, I need some help here. Looking to get a home workout routine set up. Going to the gym is literally impossible with my (and wife's) schedule and taking care of a baby, so the only option is working out at home during the downtime I have. Also, home = apartment, so I don't have any equipment (or room for it for that matter). So, starting with nothing but some gym shoes and workout clothes.

I'm roughly 5'9" 140, so I'm obviously not looking to lose weight, but also not really looking to gain a lot of weight either. Just need something that I can do in the apartment to stay in shape and get some exercise in every day and not feel like a lazy ass.

I've got about a 10x10 wood floor to work with in my living area. I'm not opposed to buying some equipment/weights/mats if it will help. I've googled stuff and it's given me some ideas, but I'd just rather get some opinions on here on what I could be doing for a half hour to an hour a day to mix it up and get some exercises that will help all areas of the body. I don't really think I'm one that could handle a p90x thing without dying, FWIW. I'm thinking I can set up something different every day where I do X number of Y activities just as easily with some help here.

Anyone willing to help out, thanks in advance.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 27, 2013 -> 11:37 PM)
Alright workout guys, I need some help here. Looking to get a home workout routine set up. Going to the gym is literally impossible with my (and wife's) schedule and taking care of a baby, so the only option is working out at home during the downtime I have. Also, home = apartment, so I don't have any equipment (or room for it for that matter). So, starting with nothing but some gym shoes and workout clothes.

I'm roughly 5'9" 140, so I'm obviously not looking to lose weight, but also not really looking to gain a lot of weight either. Just need something that I can do in the apartment to stay in shape and get some exercise in every day and not feel like a lazy ass.

I've got about a 10x10 wood floor to work with in my living area. I'm not opposed to buying some equipment/weights/mats if it will help. I've googled stuff and it's given me some ideas, but I'd just rather get some opinions on here on what I could be doing for a half hour to an hour a day to mix it up and get some exercises that will help all areas of the body. I don't really think I'm one that could handle a p90x thing without dying, FWIW. I'm thinking I can set up something different every day where I do X number of Y activities just as easily with some help here.

Anyone willing to help out, thanks in advance.

Pull-up bar and a jump rope. Search youtube for bodyweight exercises.

How does yoga 3 days a week ( the DDP program calls for that anyway), then combine the sledge hammer and grappling ropes into a days routine, do that twice a week, and then do some sort of lifting another day.

Mon- Yoga

Tues- Rope/sledge

Wed- Yoga

Thurs- Weights

Fri- Yoga

Sat- Rope/Sledge

Sun-Rest

Or should I do Weights twice, rope/sledge once? What should I do for my weights session(s)?

Also gonna try to do some walking/jogging/sprinting in the mornings.

Is my 330 pound ass in over my head thinking I can do all that?