Jake Peavy Thread

justBLAZE

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 12:25 PM)
Those are different shoulder muscles and incomparable. We don't have a comparable for this one.

IIRC Ptatc said at some point, while the injury was unique, if it is healed, it shouldn't hold Peavy back at all. He should be back to his old self. The biggest risk is re-injuring it if he gets into the wrong arm slot too often.

encouraging news, but I really hope they don't rush him. I would rather have a month or so of a bad AAAA pitcher than Jake pushing it and being gone for the rest of the year. Especially since first month or so of the season they have some days off so it's easier to go with a 4 man.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 04:51 PM)
encouraging news, but I really hope they don't rush him. I would rather have a month or so of a bad AAAA pitcher than Jake pushing it and being gone for the rest of the year. Especially since first month or so of the season they have some days off so it's easier to go with a 4 man.

I agree totally. We don't need Jake to be super, tough, inspirational guy and attempt to defy all odds and come back any earlier than necessary only to get hurt again a couple starts in. Aren't we partly in this situation because he tried to pitch hurt?

QUOTE (since56 @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 06:49 PM)
No one knows if his velocity will be the same. No one knows just how long it will take him to return to major league form. I just hope he doesn't try to rush it and has a set back.

Similarly...no one knows that extra rest will make a difference either

Guess for the newspaper headlines the day after he makes his first start?

Welcome "Back"

"Back" To Work

"Back" To Basics

Peavy Throws Perfect Game in First Game "Back"

I'm going with the last one.

You forgot "Peavy makes perfect defensive gem to challenge Buerhle for the 2011 honors!!"

:lolhitting :lolhitting

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 01:14 PM)
The lat muscle is a deceleration muscle as it relates to pitching. Peavy's is now completely attached again.

He'll be much stronger than before. Once it's properly conditioned, velocity will not be a problem.

The lat muscle is really more of an acceleration muscle. It's primary function is internal rotation which is when the arm is coming forward. In EMG studies it is active during deceleration but it's primary function is acceleration.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 01:24 PM)
What caused his injury is his natural mechanics. When Peavy throws, after the release of the pitch his arm swings back upward instead of allowing inertia to carry it across his chest beneath him. (see the Mitch Williams analysis on the Sox webpage...)This results in his lat muscle taking most of the deceleration impact which is very dangerous and asking for trouble.

IMO, If Jake wants to recover and excel, he's gonna have to alter that follow-though and from what I know about Jake, he's not gonna want to do that. The best thing for Jake and the team is to work that into his mechanics NOW. That is the work Cooper was doing with him last year and he just didn't want to stay with it because he was ineffective out there.

The problem isn't really with the follow through. The problem comes more from his arm slot. When he drops down to far he brings his arm more to the side and this is why he has the follow through you are describing. When he throws more over the top the follow throough is more what most people like to see.

The Sox have tried to change his mechanics but he was uncomfortable with the change and he wasn't as effective. Since his fastball has always been just a little above average, he drops down further to get more movement. Same thing with the slider he gets more "slide" if he drops down.

This is why I've said all along that from working with other athletes with this injury, I have no doubt he will come back 100% and probably close to the beginning of the season. Whether he will be effective with the changes I'm sure they are going to want is the big question.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 04:51 PM)

They really don't need to worry about rushing him. The injury is healed. The only part of the rehab left is to regain strength in the shoulder. As he continues to throw his velocity and endurance will tell them when he is rady. There is no "gutting it out" or "being tough." The injury is gone. It the layoff and subesequent weakness that needs to be dealt with now.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 10:04 AM)
The Sox won't need a 5th starter until April 9th, and then not again until April 19th. At the very least, I hope they use Harrell or Humber on the 9th, and then not let Peavy start until the 19th at the earliest. No need to rush him.

Wow, that's great. So Peavy could take until at least April 24th and only miss two starts? I'm sure we could live with giving one of the garbage AAA pitchers two or three starts in April in order to better ensure that Peavy is healed properly, and we'd hardly miss a beat.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 10:25 AM)
Wow, that's great. So Peavy could take until at least April 24th and only miss two starts? I'm sure we could live with giving one of the garbage AAA pitchers two or three starts in April in order to better ensure that Peavy is healed properly, and we'd hardly miss a beat.

No doubt. And you figure there will probably be a rainout in there somewhere, so the number of starts missed would be less.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 09:50 AM)
The problem isn't really with the follow through. The problem comes more from his arm slot. When he drops down to far he brings his arm more to the side and this is why he has the follow through you are describing. When he throws more over the top the follow throough is more what most people like to see.

The Sox have tried to change his mechanics but he was uncomfortable with the change and he wasn't as effective. Since his fastball has always been just a little above average, he drops down further to get more movement. Same thing with the slider he gets more "slide" if he drops down.

This is why I've said all along that from working with other athletes with this injury, I have no doubt he will come back 100% and probably close to the beginning of the season. Whether he will be effective with the changes I'm sure they are going to want is the big question.

Yep. That is the question. As you said, it's not about the injury anymore. There is no injury. It will soon be much stronger that it's been in years. I don't think it's even "psychological" as in when he's ready to let it go...Jake is gonna turn it loose. The guy is fearless out there. The biggest issue with Peavy & the Sox going forward is how willing he is to adjust his mechanics. We can't have another 8-10 starts during the regular season of finding his way.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 10:54 AM)
They really don't need to worry about rushing him. The injury is healed. The only part of the rehab left is to regain strength in the shoulder. As he continues to throw his velocity and endurance will tell them when he is rady. There is no "gutting it out" or "being tough." The injury is gone. It the layoff and subesequent weakness that needs to be dealt with now.

PTATC; Thanks for all of the encouraging information. One question that I have though is how is the cool, or even cold weather in April or May going to effect this muscle?

Edited by balfanman