2011 Cubs Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 08:06 PM)
Why do teams pitch to Soriano when he's in one of his ridiculous hot streaks?

It's amazing how many pitchers still throw him fastballs over the plate. He has proven time & time again that he can't hit the slider away but will still swing and miss at it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 1, 2011 -> 05:43 PM)
It's amazing how many pitchers still throw him fastballs over the plate. He has proven time & time again that he can't hit the slider away but will still swing and miss at it.

Sounds like Joe Crede or Aaron Rowand.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 1, 2011 -> 06:03 PM)
Daniel. Hudson.

J.J.. Putz.

Haha, I like the two periods there.

Carlos Pena has an OPS just about as good as Alex Rios and a little bit better than Carl Crawford. Can he actually hit a ball out of a ballpark any more? He crushed a ball and it only went to the warning track.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 1, 2011 -> 06:20 PM)
Carlos Pena has an OPS just about as good as Alex Rios and a little bit better than Carl Crawford. Can he actually hit a ball out of a ballpark any more? He crushed a ball and it only went to the warning track.

I can't think of many other guys I'd label as more of an obvious steroid user. The fact that he resurrected his baseball career in Boston only solidifies my stance.

Two interesting tidbits on Pena:

1- Boers and Bernstein pointed out him as someone they were sure was a PEDs user a few years ago

2- Remember Hawk talking about how amazed he was that the ball was jumping off of Pena's bat when he went to Tampa as opposed to how he had little power before? It might have been kalapse on here saying how obvious it was PEDs, but Hawk was too naive.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ May 7, 2011 -> 09:02 PM)
I will never understand why managers feel like their closer has to finish an inning when they clearly have nothing.

Cordero had nothing yesterday, just lucked out on some hard hit balls. I hate Cordero..he's been a Cubs catalyst in the past. I really question why he didn't let Chapman close today.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ May 7, 2011 -> 03:09 PM)
That's a pretty easy question to answer fathom......it's because Dusty Baker is an idiot. Always has been, always will be.

Not to give Dusty credit, but its pretty standard around all of baseball. Almost all managers refuse to take a closer out no matter what, especially a guy as established as Cordero.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 8, 2011 -> 09:44 PM)
Awesome, looks like Dusty is going to use Cordero again today! Chapman hasn't pitched this series.

Pena missed a homer by a foot against him, but Coco got the job done. Pena is freaking dangerous at the plate right now.

During all Tuesday home games, starting May 10 vs. the St. Louis Cardinals, fans 21 years of age and older can purchase Bud Light or Budweiser products at specific concession stands in the Bud Light Bleachers for $3.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 10, 2011 -> 11:02 AM)
During all Tuesday home games, starting May 10 vs. the St. Louis Cardinals, fans 21 years of age and older can purchase Bud Light or Budweiser products at specific concession stands in the Bud Light Bleachers for $3.

I wish the Sox would do things like this.